Immigrants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
immigrants_zps667d86fd.jpg

still, none of them ever stopped me from cooking my curry...hmm... true blue neighbors will come by and ask "can i have some ? " :bsmilie:

It is not all rosy, warm and fuzzy, lovey-dovey.

Tensions are a reality. They need to be anticipated, prevented; and if unpreventable - then managed carefully.

Singapore is not anti-foreigner. The immigration policy of any country needs to be carefully calibrated and monitored.
Foreigners/immigrants also need to behave themselves. Most do. There will be unpleasant immigrants on an individual basis from time to time.

Recently UK is having a back lash. The future is worse.
The recent beheading of a white Briton by another Briton (born British to a Nigerian immigrant family) is not helping.

Twenty nine million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in Britain in 2014 under European “freedom of movement” rules.

This is what UK is afraid of, after it joined the EU. The friction and riots that this will cause in UK after 2014, is a sure thing.

Britain facing new eastern Europe immigration surge - Telegraph

How the invasion of immigrants into every corner of England has made a mockery of PM's promise to close the door | Mail Online

Last edited:
Same thing with riots in Sweden

curry

Every independent and sovereign nation have its own woes with immigrants, again for us there is a need to differentiate between Professionals, Managers, Executives, and Technicians (PMETs) expatriates "Foreign Talents (FTs)" on Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass and migrant workers "Foreign Workers (FWs)" on work permit. Just like what Richoflex had mentioned previously, it is the national policy that majority of us have problems with and not the people themselves. I fear that 30 to 40 years down the road when the Ponzi scheme collapse, my children will be the one seeking "economic refugee" status in other countries.

56423757036267299672480.jpg

74458492323354137998180.png

Last edited:
okayyyyyy.

so unless you have had your job stolen by, or edged out of an interview by a foreign national, then i think the above-mentioned caricature "by an author who claimed that his works of art do not represent singapore in any way" doesn't hold any water.

i've been in offices where the racial tension is high for no reason. there was even once this chinese executive who came up to me during a coffee delivery and spoke to me about the number of Indian and Filipino IT execs in the office with disgust in his voice, complaining about how there's too many of them around, hoping to get rid of them.

so why would he hate them? he's doing sales and marketing, they're doing IT maintenance. totally unrelated.

in fact, i prefer hanging around with the filipinos, malaysians and indians. they're much more friendlier and helpful rather than those singaporeans i encounter in the office

As a chinese, i really love to gather around my ph / malay / indian / whatever race friends. Lot of different stories to hear.. And especially if they cook & bring their home food to share with me :)

okayyyyyy.

so unless you have had your job stolen by, or edged out of an interview by a foreign national, then i think the above-mentioned caricature "by an author who claimed that his works of art do not represent singapore in any way" doesn't hold any water.

that would be me after my Cat1A revoked (meow meow meow!!!)
Taiwanese "national" (since Taiwan is not even a "real" country, no offence to my Taiwanese friends. ) 3rd class hons engg grad working in ST Electronics which I applied to.

Meritocracy? Oh really?! I am pretty sure my grades are obviously better than his...hmmm!

Taiwanese "national" (since Taiwan is not even a "real" country, no offence to my Taiwanese friends. ) 3rd class hons engg grad working in ST Electronics which I applied to.

Meritocracy? Oh really?! I am pretty sure my grades are obviously better than his...hmmm!

Perhaps his ROI is higher ? :) (no offense, I've been in the same situation)

......i prefer hanging around with the filipinos, malaysians and indians. they're much more friendlier and helpful rather than those singaporeans i encounter in the office

In that case you can change your Singapore citizenship with my Malaysian citizenship and on top of that I'll give you my 5D MKII with F1.2 50mm lens and a Dome bag.

:)

Perhaps his ROI is higher ? :) (no offense, I've been in the same situation)

of course his ROI is higher, I no Cat1 how to give any return. right...tio mark is tio mark ...meritocracy means since i tio mark, i have no merit. so the system works perfectly and it is the individual at fault!

And above all discussions: stop knee-jerk reactions which have become infamously fashionable in SG. Things that took years and decades to develop cannot be changed or reversed over night. Economy and technologies are changing at a faster pace than human behaviour and habits. Singapore's fast-paced life adds on to that tension. So instead of stomping / facebook-shitstorming and silly signboard waving in Hong Lim Park it would really help to stay cool and level-headed.

Don't bother lah, you are not missing anything and probably is even better off now.

I have seen senior engineer over the age of 50 who slogged away half of his life and getting let go without any compassion whatsoever after being hospitalised and replaced by incompetent fools.

Last edited:
Just like what Richoflex had mentioned previously, it is the national policy that majority of us have problems with and not the people themselves. I fear that 30 to 40 years down the road when the Ponzi scheme collapse, my children will be the one seeking "economic refugee" status in other countries.
so what is this national policy? that there are not enough people filling positions in an economy that is still suffering from labour shortage?... while it is all nice and good to say that we can just boost productivity and all that to cover the labour shortage, until those gains in productivity are realized, if they can ever be realized, companies are still suffering from labour shortage and may either reduce their operations in Singapore, move overseas, or close shop entirely...

as for 'Ponzi scheme', I take it the reference is to something like this? that describes a policy of boosting the population to drive demand and thus inflate the economy... in Singapore, the policy is to plug the labour shortage, not to boost internal demand within the country, so the 'Ponzi' idea does not really apply...

okayyyyyy.

but even then, that's a failure in the measure and practice of meritocracy, not so much a failure in immigration policy...

policy makers in their ivory towers screwed up big time in their most recent restrictions

After the adjustments , there is too much "talent" in PMET and insufficient labor in work permit and S pass category . Retailers suffer and the blame is passed to opposition party as their suggestion

In that case you can change your Singapore citizenship with my Malaysian citizenship and on top of that I'll give you my 5D MKII with F1.2 50mm lens and a Dome bag.

:)

Sg pink ic is worth much more than even a Phantom Flex leh..

curry is from India.

that kind of explains why some mainlanders are adverse to it having no cultural exchange involving this mysterious foreign substance

Status
Not open for further replies.