IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
As a photographer whom just attended a briefing session held by MAS / MFA / MICA / Fuji Xerox, for the World Bank / IMF Meetings next month. I can’t help but to wonder, what and where photography has headed towards when it comes to our small red dot – a place we call home, Singapore.

Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)

Call me sore loser, but as a Canon user, a photographer (not a good one thou), and more importantly – a technology observer, I find this rather amusing.

Not trying to boast about the superiority of Canon technology, but in which way are Canon less superior to the “allowed” brands?

While there’re so much talk about anti-trusts in the States and Europe, we Singapore had also signed a FTA with them. As a result, we’ve seen more and more observations followed by the Singaporean Government – so isn’t this a blatant offense?

Sad to say, photography had ended up into a state where brands are an issue – no longer a form of visual arts like I’ve perceived it to be.

I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone here, but really, I can’t help but to find even the mentioning of the “no Canon” rule amusing – especially when it holds one of the biggest communities when it comes to photography.

End of rant. Thanks for reading. =)

Stratix said:
End of rant. Thanks for reading. =)

Ranting is 1 thing... but in Sg, $$$ talks. So sponsor have a say in rules and regulation loh.

There's nothing "superior" or otherwise.... it's juz fuji trying to support and showcase their own product. I dun see anything wrong wif that. Canon also showed their whites in other major events mah.

I'm more concerned about the "no rights" thingy I read about in the other thread. That's the REAL photography scene in Sg. :(

CYRN said:
Ranting is 1 thing... but in Sg, $$$ talks. So sponsor have a say in rules and regulation loh.

There's nothing "superior" or otherwise.... it's juz fuji trying to support and showcase their own product. I dun see anything wrong wif that. Canon also showed their whites in other major events mah.

I'm more concerned about the "no rights" thingy I read about in the other thread. That's the REAL photography scene in Sg. :(

the thing is that, you dont see a no Canon rule at a Nikon Sponsored Big Walk right?

oh well. Money counts. I blame myself for being poor, for not being able to own 2 systems. =/

canon, nikon & watever etc. are all companies. They are all profit orientated and their main objective is to make money!

they make products so that they can sell and earn money while ppl simply use their products to create pictures and visual arts. They dun care a tiny weenie bit abt other brands, as long as their brand makes money = shareholders happy = management gets to stay on job longer + bonuses.

as simple as that.

"Art is an object that is created by ppl using the products of profit minded companies ~ kcuf2"

Stratix said:
the thing is that, you dont see a no Canon rule at a Nikon Sponsored Big Walk right?

oh well. Money counts. I blame myself for being poor, for not being able to own 2 systems. =/

I dunnoe :dunno: cuz I didn't go... but can canon user join the photo competition? :dunno:

kcuf2 said:
canon, nikon & watever etc. are all companies. They are all profit orientated and their main objective is to make money!

they make products so that they can sell and earn money while ppl simply use their products to create pictures and visual arts. They dun care a tiny weenie bit abt other brands, as long as their brand makes money = shareholders happy = management gets to stay on job longer + bonuses.

as simple as that.

"Art is an object that is created by ppl using the products of profit minded companies ~ kcuf2"

I'm a naive 19 year old speaking here. Although I know quite abit about the tech industry, i'm talking about arts over here.

The objective of the invitation for photographers was to shoot good pictures, and potrait Singapore as a technology hub. Trust me, they've all prepared to put up a good show.

But the point i've raised, isn't that just as contradictory as it is? =/

CYRN said:
I dunnoe :dunno: cuz I didn't go... but can canon user join the photo competition? :dunno:

joining competition is one thing. banning it all together is another... =)

Stratix said:
I'm a naive 19 year old speaking here. Although I know quite abit about the tech industry, i'm talking about arts over here.

The objective of the invitation for photographers was to shoot good pictures, and potrait Singapore as a technology hub. Trust me, they've all prepared to put up a good show.

icic...i think i missed out one part, i mean by keeping other competitors out, they have all the share of the advertising to themselves..and somemore this event is a worldwide big prestigious event, this is a good chance for them to get lotsa ppl to be exposed to their "marketing"....

Stratix said:

Hahaha... wats art?

It all about $$$. Why Sg wan to host World Bank Meeting in the first place... for 4 million smiles? :bsmilie:

If you know anything about tech industries.. then you know it's a cut-throat industries, they'll take what ever advantage they have to 1 up their competitor.

hahaha it the same thing, if you purchase McDonald BigMAc, and walk into Burger King premise and sit down and eat, will it be allow?:nono:

just my 2 cents

slwong said:
hahaha it the same thing, if you purchase McDonald BigMAc, and walk into Burger King premise and sit down and eat, will it be allow?:nono:

just my 2 cents

i'm a vegetarian, so i dont take BK or Mac...

but here's something: I've personally sat at starbucks with coffeebean's cup before. No i wasn't being chased away. =)

Stratix said:
joining competition is one thing. banning it all together is another... =)

Same wat... canon cam can get to shoot all they wan outside... only kenna banned inside.

Anyway... if you look at press today they are mostly Canon cam.. so mabbe they loan S3pro to them huh? :think: :dunno:

haha what a joke. to ban a brand of cameras from being used.
it just reflects really poorly on fuji.

Basically, I think it's pack of nonsense for them to restrict so and so brand users to do whatever... be it take part in activities or competitions UNLESS is some private activities... Nikon especially. The big walk is suppose to be an event open to public... and the monthly photography competition can only use Nikon cameras... I've been to a Canon photography seminar, they allow any brands of camera and types be it consumer, prosumers to DSLR users.
One side note: I'm now a Nikonian too...

Wah...
They going ban non-fuji cameras for the duration of the event in Suntec?

Tell us more info?
I'm sure u know more than u told...

// Rant on

I thought this thread would be complaining about how they are exploiting "student photographers" and paying them a measly $50 PER ASSIGNMENT instead of giving jobs to the poor working pros. Oh, but of course it's justified since they are giving them valuable experience and a chance to showcase their skills. And "MAS will match the amount by donating $50.00 to the NYAA Young Photographers' Network (YPN) The donations will be used to fund projects spearheaded by the young photographers who are involved in the event at a later stage."

Btw, I'm also a "student photographer" that got offered this "once in a lifetime opportunity". However, I think I'm worth more than $50 PER ASSIGNMENT, especially when you look at who is behind the funding...

// Rant off

Maybe what Fuji Xerox need is a good brand marketing strategy and this isnt one of them. Maybe a few braincells might help too. Rant over.

no canon, that means much fewer photographers. well if you are refering to official ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.