Images taken with Haida filters & Panosaurus

Photosphere

May 3, 2013
Singapore
Photosphere would be showcasing some of shots taken with Haida filters, be it with circular polarizer, neutral density of different strengths.

We would also like to invite our friends & customers to add the pictures here as well.

Thank you in advance

Team Photosphere

Here's one to start.
Usually when there's elements near (railings) and far (buildings), parallax error can occur. The following shot with Panosaurus stitched it very well.

Filters: Haida Slim Pro II ND1.8 (6 stops) + Panosaurus.

Last edited:
This was taken with the Haida ND106 (6 stops). The filters give a cool cast which is easy to remove in post processing. Most importantly I find the image quality not affected by the filter.

8733739710_b2d3d60787_c.jpg

This was taken with the Haida ND106 (6 stops). The filters give a cool cast which is easy to remove in post processing. Most importantly I find the image quality not affected by the filter.[/CENTER]

Thanks for the great shot and testimonial, much appreciated! :)

Here's one I did yesterday in the hot sun, sweat drenched shirt. Did a 3 shot with my Olympus E-PL1 + Panasonic 12-35mm @ 12mm (24mm equivalent on FF), tried to stitch it result was epic failure. I wish I had my Panosaurus, sometimes just too lazy to bring so much stuff. Pretty sure it would stitch nicely just like our 1st shot above, a trip back is definitely imminent. It was so hot & bright that I could use stack 2 filters Haida ND3.0+ND0.9, an ambitious test indeed on a small sensor camera, the idea was to stretch the timings to almost 60s (max of the camera without use of remote cable) and have it at F6.3-7.1 sweet spot of the lens before diffraction sets in. Can click on picture, press L, and select the 2048x1366. There's minimum touch up done on this shot, and it's jpeg, just highlights & shadows. There wasn't vignetting even in the originals.

3 shots stitched (Hugin) without Panosaurus (failed shot), with Haida Slim Pro II ND3.0 + ND0.9 (total 13 stops)

Last edited:
[Ugh, posted the last post too quick, forgot can't edit posts here, can help to delete last one?]

Here's one with the ND8. I'll try to post up a Review thread soon complete with pictures so that people can see how thin the filter is compared to B+W ND106 and ND110. Maybe in a while I'll just grab the 6 stop and 10 stop ones as backup..

First impression - no color cast (or at least Auto WB isn't affected by its use, meaning even if there is it's easily correctable). The filter is so slim... I think for people looking to stack a circular filter + slot-in GND system (e.g. Cokin P series), it's a viable option that probably won't introduce vignetting. The P series filters are a lot smaller and each GND will cost a lot less than the full size filters..

8744538402_4dd2f46df4_o.jpg

[Ugh, posted the last post too quick, forgot can't edit posts here, can help to delete last one?]

Here's one with the ND8. I'll try to post up a Review thread soon complete with pictures so that people can see how thin the filter is compared to B+W ND106 and ND110. Maybe in a while I'll just grab the 6 stop and 10 stop ones as backup..

First impression - no color cast (or at least Auto WB isn't affected by its use, meaning even if there is it's easily correctable). The filter is so slim... I think for people looking to stack a circular filter + slot-in GND system (e.g. Cokin P series), it's a viable option that probably won't introduce vignetting. The P series filters are a lot smaller and each GND will cost a lot less than the full size filters..

8744538402_4dd2f46df4_o.jpg

Hi Edutilos,

Thank you for the kind words and as usual a great shot, glad that you like the ND filters. For the stronger ND (1.8 : 6 stops and 3.0 : 10 stops) there will be color cast, however we find it manageable like post #3 it's almost OOC jpeg and it's stacked with 2 ND (10+3 stops) yet the vignetting is absent (granted, I was using 24mm equivalent so it's more tolerant to vignetting as well :) ). We actually tried to use a Hitech GND with our ND filters just a test, but we do get some pink color cast on the sky, still correctable but certainly more tedious.

We will be sharing some shots with auto WB and mostly OOC jpeg just to show the color cast (or lack of).

We are also doing a gathering to let photographers to test our filters as well as Panosaurus, we will also bring B+W ND106, 110 as well as Lee Big Stopper to do a comparison.

Do join us if you can :)

Last edited:
Taken on a Panosaurus with Haida ND106

Some basic WB adjustments can produce very true to scene results and colours (minimal editing)

8743792463_e23cdc19c9_c.jpg

An out of camera shot. Auto white balance. It's shows well what to expect from Haida filters in terms of color cast.
A filter stacked shot, this is done with Olympus E-PL1+Panasonic 12-35mm (24-70mm equivalent on FF) with Haida ND3.0 (10 stops) + Haida Circular Polarizer. CPL is thicker in profile as there's a rotating portion to control, hence there's a some vignetting. In our post #3, there's no vignetting at 24mm equivalent as 2 slim profile Haida ND filters were used.

Click here for hi res

Another out of camera jpeg, no post process, Haida ND3.0 (10 stops) + CPL stacked. AUto White Balance.

A test to show shots with and without CPL and vs a popular Kenko Zeta CPL (one of the best range in the market now). All out of camera jpeg.

Camera = Olympus E-PL1
Lens = Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Post process = None

Left = No filter (Hi Res here), Middle = Kenko Zeta CPL (Hi Res here), Right = Haida Slim Pro II MC CPL (Hi Res here)

Last edited:
Good stuff. I used the 10 stop ND here and I find that the colors are very well retained and no cast unlike my other 4 stop slot in filter...

For those using compacts, I would personally recommend getting the 10 stop instead of 6 stop as aperture is usually at most f8 in compacts, the extra stops are needed to get a longer exposure, no worries about the color cast!

Sunrise At Tanjong Rhu - Haida 10 Stop ND Filter by teckhengwang, on Flickr

Indoor Stadium and Future National Stadium by teckhengwang, on Flickr

Panosaurus + Haida ND 3.0 at about 20 - 30s exposure.

Stitched in Hugin ... Cylindrical Projection.

PS pasted wrong link, please delete the previous

Taken on a Panosaurus with Haida ND3000x (10 stops)

Tried out multi row panorama with the Panosaurus. I have always done multi rows with my previous setup of Panasonic G3 + 14-45mm for scenes that are too wide. Since switching to a K-01 with 10-20mm, the need of multi row panorama has decreased. However to test the Panosaurus, i took a series of 10 frames at 20mm (35mm equiv) on the K-01 to do a multi row panorama.

Always the problem I face was the wastage in cropping, the Panosaurus proved useful to make accurate stitching and reduce cropping area. Stitched well in cs6 and with some wide angle correction, the photo was good to go.

Bottom shows a 100% crop of the image
Result is a 45MP image

8752954869_d634c53101_c.jpg

After a few more sessions I am pleased to confirm that the Haida ND8 filter does not seem to have any visible cast that affects anything beyond extending exposure. Here are some more examples at sunrise. Thinking of getting the 6 stop filter to try soon. :)

8754629136_f65ec3771e_o.jpg

8746787495_1283596907_o.jpg

Taken on the Panosaurus, 3 images stitched

8765788579_1c7961d297_c.jpg

20130519-IMG_5795.jpg

Taken with the 10 stop ND filter... looks good!

Both stitched with the Panosaurus, three vertical shots stitched. Zero stitching error for this one... :)
First photo is a demo of the Panosaurus setup attached to a clamp, very handy for doing HDB panoramas

252304_10151492623049160_1305413982_n.jpg

8815274514_1a9e2e020e_z.jpg

8813339109_22f6d22a04_z.jpg

has anyone tried the panosaurus with bigger and heavier setups?

using a 5DMK3 + 16-35L here. :confused:

has anyone tried the panosaurus with bigger and heavier setups?

using a 5DMK3 + 16-35L here. :confused:

Panosaurus is rated up to 10 pounds, so your combination which is about 1.5 kg should be ok.

If you Googled... You'd find this image tagged with Panosaurus 2.0. It's taken with a 5D Mark III / 16-35 mm combo based on EXIF:

500px / Photo "Palouse Falls at dusk" by Josh Tarr

I don't think Panosaurus has any issues with most DSLR/lens combos. Of course, as with using any gear, you should never trust it 100%. The gear can hold up but there are factors like wind, other living creatures (including yourself), etc..

Thank you edutilos for the explanation., much appreciated:) We will be holding a demo session this sunday morning and if possible pls join us tecnica to try out your gear. We will show our filters as well then vs a few other brands (b+w, lee).

Panosaurus is rated up to 10 pounds, so your combination which is about 1.5 kg should be ok.

If you Googled... You'd find this image tagged with Panosaurus 2.0. It's taken with a 5D Mark III / 16-35 mm combo based on EXIF:

500px / Photo "Palouse Falls at dusk" by Josh Tarr

I don't think Panosaurus has any issues with most DSLR/lens combos. Of course, as with using any gear, you should never trust it 100%. The gear can hold up but there are factors like wind, other living creatures (including yourself), etc..

Thank you edutilos for the explanation., much appreciated:) We will be holding a demo session this sunday morning and if possible pls join us tecnica to try out your gear. We will show our filters as well then vs a few other brands (b+w, lee).

thanks for the info. :)

may i know what time is the demo session? i see if i can get my lazy buttock off the bed first. :smilie: