Image viewed from DSLR and monitor differs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnl71

Jul 2, 2009
East area
Here's another calibration thread again.

I have already calibrated my monitor through adjusting my brightness/contrast/gamma and temperature of my monitor. I have no problems viewing different images from my monitor. I have also tested against different shades of grey etc.

However why does the colour of the image viewed from my DSLR LCD and my monitor differs? The colour viewed from my DSLR is stronger, more saturated and slightly more contrasty.
The colour viewed from my monitor is more.. "weak" and creates less impact.

So now would this be because my monitor is not calibrated properly or do I need to calibrate my camera's LCD to that of my monitor? If yes, how do I do it exactly?

Anyone has any idea :dunno:?

EDIT: I am using A500 with 230k pixels resolution & I shoot in JPEG

Last edited:
Here's another calibration thread again.

I have already calibrated my monitor through adjusting my brightness/contrast/gamma and temperature of my monitor. I have no problems viewing different images from my monitor. I have also tested against different shades of grey etc.

However why does the colour of the image viewed from my DSLR LCD and my monitor differs? The colour viewed from my DSLR is stronger, more saturated and slightly more contrasty.

So now would this be because my monitor is not calibrated properly or do I need to calibrate my camera's LCD to that of my monitor? If yes, how do I do it exactly?

Anyone has any idea :dunno:?

EDIT: I am using A500 with 230k pixels resolution

DSLR LCD's main function is usually just to check composition. U can't compare your computer's monitor from a camera's. Colour reproduction and realism are a lot different.

Because a DSLR LCD preview can't be calibrated the same way as a monitor.

There are ways around it like learning how to gauge the preview along with the RGB information in the histogram and getting very familiar with how light works, something many photographers seem to avoid like the plague.

My problem is slightly different: on my uncalibrated laptop screen, I get less saturated images when I view my pics full-screen vs non-full-screen. Wonder why? :think:

Most surprisingly, the colour difference only applies when I am using the A500 to shoot. Because when I use my A230 to shoot the same image under the same settings, when viewed through both my monitor and A230 LCD screen appearance wise (colour, WB, saturation, contrast, brightness etc) is identical with little or no difference.

However when using the A500 to shoot, the colour of my room wall appear white (correct WB), but once transferred to my monitor there is this extremely slight yellowish tint that is quite obvious.

Could it be that the LCD of my A500 is not showing the right colours?

EDIT: It seems that I am unable to find true white using the A500. I've switched off all lights, shot with flash and Flash WB. On the A500 LCD it appears white and great. But once transferred to my monitor, it becomes slightly off colour again. Did the same test with my A230, results on LCD and monitor are identical..

DSLR LCD's main function is usually just to check composition. U can't compare your computer's monitor from a camera's. Colour reproduction and realism are a lot different.

I agree. However, we also use the DSLR LCD to monitor WB and such. It is a bit displeasing that on the LCD the colours appear "right" while on my monitor it appears with a hint of yellow-green tint. Moreover, it only applies to my A500 and not the A230.

Try using AdobeRGB not sRGB,it works for me in RAW

I have tried both colour profiles and shot in RAW & JPEG, same results :confused:

Because a DSLR LCD preview can't be calibrated the same way as a monitor.

There are ways around it like learning how to gauge the preview along with the RGB information in the histogram and getting very familiar with how light works, something many photographers seem to avoid like the plague.

Would it be advisable to send my camera to A500 instead then? Could it be a problem with the A500? Not very sure though.

My problem is slightly different: on my uncalibrated laptop screen, I get less saturated images when I view my pics full-screen vs non-full-screen. Wonder why? :think:

That is a very very weird problem you have there.. Though I do not know why either :dunno:

Last edited:
Most likely the LCD on your A500 is just not calibrated. You *could* send it to Sony for calibration/correction I guess. Just make sure you tell them that you frequently have problems setting the white balalnce manually because the screen colors are inaccurate.

I have tried both colour profiles and shot in RAW & JPEG, same results :confused:

If you shot in RAW, then tweaking the white balance is a simple task.

I'm using the a330 and I have the same problem as TS.

Pics in the LCD screen looks bright and good but once transferred to my laptop, pics appear to be dull and dark. :(

Most likely the LCD on your A500 is just not calibrated. You *could* send it to Sony for calibration/correction I guess. Just make sure you tell them that you frequently have problems setting the white balalnce manually because the screen colors are inaccurate.

Yeah, I guess I will be sending it to SSC tomorrow already.

If you shot in RAW, then tweaking the white balance is a simple task.

Simple task but sometimes can be a little troublesome. Moreover I do not always shoot in RAW :bsmilie:.

I'm using the a330 and I have the same problem as TS.

Pics in the LCD screen looks bright and good but once transferred to my laptop, pics appear to be dull and dark. :(

Most probably you will need to calibrate your laptop screen. That should solve your problem.

because dslr lcd is limited.. you can't calibrate it.. unless you have a camera that allows you to calibrate it.

i think my k20d's lcd can adjust the colors but by eye.. don't think you can plug in a spyder or colormunkey or whatever to tweak it properly.

you should trust a calibrated monitor. assuming you calibrated it properly :)

because dslr lcd is limited.. you can't calibrate it.. unless you have a camera that allows you to calibrate it.

I remember there was a CS member who had a similar issue with his A700 before... Sony replaced the whole LCD FOC.

i think my k20d's lcd can adjust the colors but by eye.. don't think you can plug in a spyder or colormunkey or whatever to tweak it properly.

you should trust a calibrated monitor. assuming you calibrated it properly :)

It's a pity that I am not able to adjust what I see on my camera itself though. I am positive that I have calibrated my monitor correctly too. Afterall, what I see on the A230 and monitor is quite similar anyways.

I remember there was a CS member who had a similar issue with his A700 before... Sony replaced the whole LCD FOC.

I have just sent my camera to SSC, though the description the salesperson wrote was barely 6 words long & I think he listed the wrong information. Most probably I will call Sony up to inform them about the wrong information he typed.

I really hope Sony would be able to replace the whole LCD and get accurate results after sending it in :lovegrin:. Though I still have to wait 7-10days as the salesperson mentioned :sweat:.

Status
Not open for further replies.