Image Stabilizer on Compact Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtummy

Jan 28, 2005
Dear Folks,

I am a newbie in photography. Would like to seek some advise from experience camera users like you guys.

I am actually looking for compact camera. The most challenging part about compact camera will be shooting without flash in dim lighting conditions.
I recently read from a magazine that briefly described Sony's w170 series using 2x gyro to control the blur effect caused. I am on the other hand looking at canon ixus 960 or the 970. I believe they are using the digi 4 processor to control the anti blur feature.

I have terrible shaky hands and do require a camera that at least allow me to take some decent pictures at low lighting and without flash. (considering i do not have a tripod stand that is always with me)

With the above, how would you view the difference in these 2 cameras? Is sony at the level to be able to compare with a canon camera yet? What other camera can I look at as well?

Your inputs will be very beneficial to me. Thank you..

Cheers

Dear Folks,

I am a newbie in photography. Would like to seek some advise from experience camera users like you guys.

I am actually looking for compact camera. The most challenging part about compact camera will be shooting without flash in dim lighting conditions.
I recently read from a magazine that briefly described Sony's w170 series using 2x gyro to control the blur effect caused. I am on the other hand looking at canon ixus 960 or the 970. I believe they are using the digi 4 processor to control the anti blur feature.

I have terrible shaky hands and do require a camera that at least allow me to take some decent pictures at low lighting and without flash. (considering i do not have a tripod stand that is always with me)

With the above, how would you view the difference in these 2 cameras? Is sony at the level to be able to compare with a canon camera yet? What other camera can I look at as well?

Your inputs will be very beneficial to me. Thank you..

Cheers

Nope, Canon's Digic IV DOES NOT control the anti-blur really. It's just a jpeg processing engine, like Sony's Bionz.

Is Sony at a level to compare with the canons?? LOL!!! It can easily be the other way around...

If your main problem is super-shaky hands, and you shoot in dim light without flash, there are a few options for you:

1. Don't do it. That's the most challenging shot for any camera, even DSLR cameras.

2. If you must... There's the Sony W300, which uses a larger sensor, so is relatively clean at High ISO (which you will need).

3. Use a Fuji compact, they're well known for good performance at high ISO.

Last edited:
A camera's processor isn't responsible for fighting against handshake blur.

It is the camera's in-built stabilisation system (optical or sensor) that compensates your handshake. Because it compensates, it doesn't remove blur/vibration entirely, if you do shake a lot.

Shooting without flash in dim light conditions will always be challenging to any compact camera. It is not their forte.

My recommendation:
Shoot using 2 hands.

Bring gorillapod? There is a also shoulder-pod.

Or you can always put the camera on a solid flat surface like a table and use the timer to trigger the shutter.

Hi Guys,

The pointers given here are of great help to me. Therefore I guess the only thing i could look out for is a camera that will not produce that much noise in high ISO mode right?

Rashkae bro actually mentioned about FUJI camera. I have also seen from reports that they generally create lesser noise. But apart from this good feature, is there any cons in FUJI camera that i should take note?

If i have set my mind on sony and canon, which one will be a better option?

Your advises are most appreciated. Sorry for the trouble as i always find reports on website are normally quite different from reality.

Cheers

2nd hand DSLR would be my frank answer since thats what you can get at the cost of some of these compacts.

but if size and portability is what you are looking for, look for one which has the largest lens and as high iso as possible and then check out the online reviews.

Rashkae bro actually mentioned about FUJI camera. I have also seen from reports that they generally create lesser noise. But apart from this good feature, is there any cons in FUJI camera that i should take note?

If i have set my mind on sony and canon, which one will be a better option?

Well, I find Fuji cameras to have great picture quality, but they don't look as nice as the Canons and Sonys (but that's very subjective). Also, I find the UI less user-friendly.

If it's C and S, then for most cameras it will be a draw; the one exception I can think of is the sony W300, which has very good noise control.

Status
Not open for further replies.