Image Stabilizer (IS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex76

Oct 19, 2005
Hi,

Is it necessary to have IS for a compact cam? Is the term same as anti-shake for some cam? I just bought a casio that have anti-shake but it doens't really do the worls at all.... most of my indoor pic came out to be blurr :what:

alex76 said:
Hi,

Is it necessary to have IS for a compact cam? Is the term same as anti-shake for some cam? I just bought a casio that have anti-shake but it doens't really do the worls at all.... most of my indoor pic came out to be blurr :what:

IS or anti-shake will not totally prevent shake. You still need a pair of steady hands to get sharp picture. IS/VR/Anti Shake helps you gain 1 to 2 stops. For indoors, usually you will have less light hence the slower shutter speed. The rule of shutter speed = 1/focal length still applies.

Just my 2 cents thought

the casio anti shake is a software kind of IS. it tries to up the ISO and set a higher shutter speed couple with algorithm to detect the direction shake and tries to correct it by shifting the picture back and applying some sharpening methods. it only works for relatively slow shakes which can be prevented by correct handholding techniques in the first place.

anti-shakes with moving mechanisms (lens or sensor) are more effective. But nothing will beat the usage of higher shutter speeds to get the 1/focal length guideline.

I think the advertisements on the anti-handshake camera misled you into thinking that it really works wonder.

I'll try to explain in layman terms just in case you are wondering what f stop means. Anti-handshake function does help but only by alittle. Most people tends to shake their camera when depressing the shutter button, making the photos blur. The anti shake actually corrects this but still, you will need the proper technique in order to get sharp photos.

Also, try to focus first (by half depressing the shutter button) before shooting.

Hope it clears your doubt.

Cheers

Lmodel said:
I think the advertisements on the anti-handshake camera misled you into thinking that it really works wonder.

I'll try to explain in layman terms just in case you are wondering what f stop means. Anti-handshake function does help but only by alittle. Most people tends to shake their camera when depressing the shutter button, making the photos blur. The anti shake actually corrects this but still, you will need the proper technique in order to get sharp photos.

Also, try to focus first (by half depressing the shutter button) before shooting.

Hope it clears your doubt.

Cheers

yup u r rite.

it is quite misleading for the consumers with litte or no knowledge on cameras.

re seeing an advertisement of a new cam which shows 2 sport cars speeding side by side and one of the pasenger took clear pic of the driver in the other car.

a bit impossible... but it was done with the help of optical stabiliser......

the 1/focal length is still the best guide. :)

vbs1979 said:
yup u r rite.

it is quite misleading for the consumers with litte or no knowledge on cameras.

re seeing an advertisement of a new cam which shows 2 sport cars speeding side by side and one of the pasenger took clear pic of the driver in the other car.

a bit impossible... but it was done with the help of optical stabiliser......

the 1/focal length is still the best guide. :)
Why impossible? You can also by increasing ISO/ASA and use flash!

Regards,
Arto.

IS helps to a certain extend. A tripod still the best for low light situation when possible.

i remember someone telling me that these IS or anti shake doesnt really work if u zoom more then 3x. and also, it also dont work well in low light too...

best is up shutter, or use tripod i guess

anti shake only works as well as the person using it knows its limitations...

digital types, like what Casio calls its DSP (digital singal processing) anti shake only works to a limited extent as it uses software to try to correct the image after it has registered on the imaging chip...in other words, it trys to "unshake" an image with shake, correcting after the act of capture...a bit like what Photoshop CS2's smart sharpen can do...

optical types, that move a lens element or sensor, like those from Canon, Nikon, KM, Panasonic, etc. prevent the image being captured from having shake in the first place...in other words, the image registering on the chip should have the "shake" corrected by the mechanisms, correcting before the act of capture...

as you can guess, not capturing the shake works better than trying to digitally correct the shake...how well it works depends on each company's system and that is always going to be a point of debate so no point going into that discussion here...of course, if there is a camera that uses both types even better...:think:

as for low light, well, it's not so much low light being the problem but slow shutter speed...and it depends on how the antishake system...if its an "always on" system that takes into account slow (long period) shake, then it might work better...and of course, at long focal lenghts, any shake is magnified...I have shot a pretty steady low light shot, 200mm (300mm at 35mm equivalent) at 1/6s handheld at iso3200 so I know it should work in low light...:)

tripod i think is the magic word for low light pictures. of cos if u moving around, u cant use a tripod, maybe a flash?

Drink less the night before and there will be less sssshhhyake, hic :bsmilie:

Or use a chlypog... a tlypob ...a tchlypok... one of thooshhe leg things .

Status
Not open for further replies.