Image Stabilization makes Photo Blur

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
Hi, I'm using an Ixus with IS and I noticed that when I have a very low shutter speed, say 1/5s, the IS usually causes more blur than when I take the shot without the IS. Does this happen to you guys as well?

Hi megascriler

There might be too many confounding factors and a single shot comparison is not statistically significant to make a statement on IS ( you might want to make a few more shots to compare under similar conditions ? )

Or else the IS is really faulty and not working, and get Canon to review it

Ryan

IS is not magic. at 1/5s even IS wont help if you have shaky hands. Most is 3 stops. Best result is still tripod.

Remember to give half a sec or so for it to stablise. ;)

Hi, I'm using an Ixus with IS and I noticed that when I have a very low shutter speed, say 1/5s, the IS usually causes more blur than when I take the shot without the IS. Does this happen to you guys as well?

what mode are you using?

i hope you are not like one of my friends.. very happy she purchase camera with image stabilisation.. then complain that it didn't work.. then when i asked her to show me how she take shots.. when take with is on.. must shake the camera like shaking medicine bottle like that then click shutter.. like that any is also cannot help you la :bsmilie:

maybe you could post up pictures with exif info intact.. then the more experienced members can help you find out what the problem is.

IS works, no doubt about it.. but it will only improve the picture, it will not be tripod sharp quality (assuming you know how to use tripod properly, as well)

1/5 is pretty slow... even IS won't be able to help that much... even with my FZ5 which has "MEGA O.IS" most of the 1/5 are blur...

and like deswitch mentioned... if you hand shakes too much... try applying some breathing technics... such as pressing the shutter when u exhale 2/3 of ur breath... and also adopt a more stable position for ur arms...

that said... use a tripod... and ask ur subjects to keep really still...:bsmilie:

What i mean is that I personally feel(not haolian) that sometimes, my hands are quite stable(when they are braced), that when I take a shot at say 1/5s with Shooting(mode2) IS, it usually causes more blur than when I take it without the IS afterwards. Is this the reason why IS should be turned off when shooting on a tripod?

What i mean is that I personally feel(not haolian) that sometimes, my hands are quite stable(when they are braced), that when I take a shot at say 1/5s with Shooting(mode2) IS, it usually causes more blur than when I take it without the IS afterwards. Is this the reason why IS should be turned off when shooting on a tripod?

same, sometimes i try to keep as still alr, but still come out blurred when on 1/8. perhaps even a few mm of movement will still affect. so best is to get tripod.

Let me get this straight, when placed on tripod shots with IS 'on' is blur while the IS 'off' is clear?

Can you confirm this? If it's not tried before, then try it out and this time use a timer or shutter relaese cable to eliminate shakes during pressing of the shutter release.

Not doubting your camera skills or anything. To test we have to eliminate possiblities, if you know what I mean. So hand held shot can be quite subjective.

I read on either DCresource or DPreview that if you leave IS on while it's on a tripod(when it's very stable), it will cause more harm than good. Alright, but maybe I'll do a simple test and post it here. It's as though the IS overcompensates sometimes.

must shake the camera like shaking medicine bottle like that then click shutter.. like that any is also cannot help you la :bsmilie:

recommend her a gyro stabiliser. :devil:

i hope you are not like one of my friends.. very happy she purchase camera with image stabilisation.. then complain that it didn't work.. then when i asked her to show me how she take shots.. when take with is on.. must shake the camera like shaking medicine bottle like that then click shutter..

Isn't that the way the TV commercials kinda show how it's done?

That's the problem - a lot of times, the marketing hype creates a sense of un-real expectations often exceberated by consumer 'over-enthusiasm'.

yalah...true....but if night86mare's friend has Parkinson, that we don't know :devil:

OK, I'm sorry for bringing this old topic up again, but I googled about image stabilization on tripods, and it seems true that image stablization CAN make photos blur when on tripods!

The link is at http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/image-stabilization-on-tripods/ if you guys are interested...
IF it is windy, however, and your tripod isn't the most stable of them all

you can turn IS on, i've done it before and it surprisingly works :)

p.s. didn't see that reply, no, my friend does not have parkinson's, too young for that :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.