image quality

appleshem

May 25, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hey,
Im curious on what image quality to set in times. Im currently using a D90 and the default image quailty JPEG - Large - Normal. The file seems abit big at times.
Just wondering if you guys wanna share what image quality you use to do what kind of shooting??
cheers.

Hey,
Im curious on what image quality to set in times. Im currently using a D90 and the default image quailty JPEG - Large - Normal. The file seems abit big at times.
Just wondering if you guys wanna share what image quality you use to do what kind of shooting??
cheers.

Most of the time, I will shoot RAW for events / weddings, and for those that I know I will be doing some post-processing

For my own leisure shoots and those I will just post straight out of the camera, Medium JPEG fine. :bsmilie:

i used to leave it at JPEG-L-Fine.
when i learned how to use the camera properly, i switched to RAW.
you'll be taking less shots when you've learned how to compose properly.

500 odd pictures on an 8GB card might not seem a lot, but it's more than enough for my regular shoots.

cheers!

Raw + Normal...

Raw for storage and edition, Normal for easy online uploads and albums.

Good thing is when we delete any unwanted shots from the camera, both will be deleted at the same time, don't have to do it twice.

Many people shoot RAW...

But I still sticked to jpg (normal somemore, bcoz I can't find any diff between high and normal), haha... have no big problems so far from my assignments.

Still, I know RAW is the way for PRO, more rooms to play with and more secure.

I used to shoot only RAW but my camera now produces good JPEG too so I'll just use JPEG for non-important shots, such as own leisure activities. Saves processing time and more importantly, precious disk space!

I will still stick to RAW+JPEG on separate slots. The RAW is for subsequent production and JPEG is for quick slideshows and critical backup.

I used to shoot only RAW but my camera now produces good JPEG too so I'll just use JPEG for non-important shots, such as own leisure activities. Saves processing time and more importantly, precious disk space!

I will still stick to RAW+JPEG on separate slots. The RAW is for subsequent production and JPEG is for quick slideshows and critical backup.

So do I. Also shoot in both RAW + JPEG (large + normal).

RAW format for Post Processing to print.
JPEG format for Quick Slide Shows and quick PP to display on the website, w/o printing.

For paid services whereby you hold the copyrights - Raw Only.
Raw is like exactly like the negatives. Normally, no photographers would give Raw files to their client if the photographer holds the copyright. Moreover, a lot more recovery can be made on raw files.

Saying that, it really depends on your work flow for PP.
I know of some hobbist who would covert everything immediately from raw to jpgs once they download the photos to the computer. Not the proper way.

appleshem said:
so after post processing, still keep the RAW files as well right?

Yup. Back them up somewhere lor. Need lots of disk space though. They usually stay on my primary HDD for a year then get archived on a separate backup HDD.

Yup. Back them up somewhere lor. Need lots of disk space though. They usually stay on my primary HDD for a year then get archived on a separate backup HDD.

My backup HDD is 2 TByte though :bsmilie:

My backup HDD is 2 TByte though :bsmilie:

Not enough one la... I finished one 500GB and another 1TB is gonna be full soon... One day's shoot can use almost 20GB eh. I was hoping there's a better way of backing up all these stuffs. But even burning on DVD's isn't ideal.

Not enough one la... I finished one 500GB and another 1TB is gonna be full soon... One day's shoot can use almost 20GB eh. I was hoping there's a better way of backing up all these stuffs. But even burning on DVD's isn't ideal.

DVD easy to spoil also....later kena heart attack.

i shoot purely RAW even though i'm only a hobbyist...

i guess i enjoy individually tweaking photos when i got nothing better to do lol

i shoot purely RAW even though i'm only a hobbyist...

i guess i enjoy individually tweaking photos when i got nothing better to do lol

Nothing wrong with that. I also shoot RAW and after I'm done with my normal processing, I like the extra headroom that RAW gives to edit all sorts of stuff to experiment how they turn out (like playing around with the temperature slider and going crazy with it :bsmilie:)