image quality that you guys usually use in ps 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sequitur

Apr 17, 2003
flickr.com
hey guys

i think i need to make my file sizes smaller so what's an acceptable image quality value (you know if you save to jpeg in photoshop 7 you basically can choose a value of 1 to 12 for image quality) ?

basically i resize my images from 500 to 800 pixels lengthwise.

acceptable image quality value = relatively small size + good image quality

regards,
sequitur

sequitur said:
hey guys

i think i need to make my file sizes smaller so what's an acceptable image quality value (you know if you save to jpeg in photoshop 7 you basically can choose a value of 1 to 12 for image quality) ?

basically i resize my images from 500 to 800 pixels lengthwise.

acceptable image quality value = relatively small size + good image quality

regards,
sequitur

For web display? I'll normally use the "Save for Web" tool, so that I can preview the image, estimated file size, and select the compression level at the same time. About 60-75% average. Guess that's about 6 or 7 on that 1-12 scale.

:)

72 dpi is the maximum display of a monitor.
As for print requirement, it's best to keep your resolution at at least 150 -300 dpi.

There are some misconception that as long as your dpi is larger, you will have a good image. The size of the image also plays an important role to the quality of the images.

Meaning, with an image of 10mm x 10mm, 300 dpi in size, you could only do a decent print up to 10mm x 10mm in size. (maybe slightly larger than this). As monitor display allows a max of 72 dpi, the 10mm x 10mm image will be larger by about 4 times on the screen (300 divided by 72). Though it looks much bigger on screen, when it comes to printing, you could only get 1/4 of the monitor screen size.

He's asking about compression levels.. in fact, everyone is talking about compression levels!

I use '7' for images hosted on web galleries, email and anything transferred to friends electronically for viewing on PC.

For printing, I'm your typical 'kiasu' Singaporean. Set to level '12' and just burn to CR-RW.

YSLee said:
He's asking about compression levels.. in fact, everyone is talking about compression levels!

If that's the case, you would have to rely on your eyes judgement. Though a numerical range of say 7-8 is quite good, this numeric is dependent entire on individual image. Some images can even go further down in scale and do not create much difference. If it's only for screen viewing, there shouldn't be much of a worry.

all depends on colour values of the image and what the image is for...
saving anything for the web reduces it to 72dpi, not exactly what you want to have when showing off your photography...

Also I think you might want to revisit the sizes of your images for the web .
Go with a thumbnail, that links to the full-sized image that loads in another browser.

Also get a javascript code to dissable the "right-click" functio... that will limit the ammount of people ripping you off and your photography ending up everywhere.... without you getting any money...

Status
Not open for further replies.