Image quality of Sony DSC-R1 = Nikon D200??

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseen

Dec 14, 2004
NTU and Wdls
Everyone has been drumming into me about pro dSLRs having better images.
Recently, out came the Sony R1, fitted with a APS-C sized 10.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor that Sony Rep hints to the same as the one on the D200.

Looking at the lens spec of Carl Zeiss 14.3-71.5mm F2.8-4.8 (F24-120/2.8-4.8 equivilant), I calculated a crop factor of 1.678 or 1 97/143 to be precise.

I've no idea the crop factor of the up and coming D200..

But if given
1) same sensor
2) equally good lens (I think the CZ lens would be much better than cheapo consumer kit lens)
3) say manual focus + use external light meter for exposure..
Would image quality be the same?

After all in olden times, a $2000 slr and a $300 slr would produce the same quality photos given the same lens..
would this be the case here?

what else will/can affect the image quality?
I'm really really curious about it..

*note: Only asking about image quality wise, not about ease of use more advanced this subsystem or that subsystem or extra capability etc..

unseen said:
*note: Only asking about image quality wise, not about ease of use more advanced this subsystem or that subsystem or extra capability etc..

You did mention about the possibility of both cameras using the same sensor. However, from the recent rumours, the D200 seems to spot a CCD sensor and the R1 a CMOS. Therefore both cameras seems to have a different "heart".

unseen said:
Everyone has been drumming into me about pro dSLRs having better images.
Recently, out came the Sony R1, fitted with a APS-C sized 10.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor that Sony Rep hints to the same as the one on the D200.

Looking at the lens spec of Carl Zeiss 14.3-71.5mm F2.8-4.8 (F24-120/2.8-4.8 equivilant), I calculated a crop factor of 1.678 or 1 97/143 to be precise.

I've no idea the crop factor of the up and coming D200..

But if given
1) same sensor
2) equally good lens (I think the CZ lens would be much better than cheapo consumer kit lens)

After all in olden times, a $2000 slr and a $300 slr would produce the same quality photos given the same lens..
would this be the case here?

what else will/can affect the image quality?
I'm really really curious about it..

if i have to choose between the both, i'd choose D200 anytime... cos i can use different range of lens with it, and the flash system would be better than the existing sony flashes. and its easier to do manual focus with a optical viewfinder than electronic viewfinder.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
its easier to do manual focus with a optical viewfinder than electronic viewfinder.

Might not be. I find it very hard to manual focus with my D70. EVF can zoom in many times (Minolta A1 can zoom in 8x) when doing manual focus, so is more accurate.

LOL I would pick the D200 over the sony.
Have you seen how ugly the camera is?
and where the flash is placed? Ergonomics wise the Sony is a sure loser.

haha anyway that aside, even if they are using the same sensor, would there be any image quality difference?
I'm really curious about the image quality.
Hmmm anyway all the D200 rumours I've been looking at points to a CMOS sensor..

unseen said:
even if they are using the same sensor, would there be any image quality difference?

Sure there'll be. Lens plays a part too.

I doubt the nikon consumer lens can match up to the CZ lens.
Like I mentioned,

if given
1) same sensor

So apart from lens, no difference?

unseen said:
Like I mentioned,

if given
1) same sensor

end of the day, still must see the tweak settings from the manufacturer... like D7D uses the same sensor with D70, but apparently, D7D color saturation & D70's are different... CMOS/CCD is important, firmware is also another key issue.

unseen said:
Like I mentioned,

if given
1) same sensor

You get what u pay for , simple logic :)

One is a video and the other is a DSLR.
Diff format for both
diff processing software
I'm an IT newbie but I think hard to compare

unseen said:
LOL I would pick the D200 over the sony.
Have you seen how ugly the camera is?
and where the flash is placed? Ergonomics wise the Sony is a sure loser.

haha anyway that aside, even if they are using the same sensor, would there be any image quality difference?
I'm really curious about the image quality.
Hmmm anyway all the D200 rumours I've been looking at points to a CMOS sensor..
There are several very good reasons to have the flash NOT above the lens on the R1 .................think about it (and one of it is ergonomics)

HS

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
end of the day, still must see the tweak settings from the manufacturer... like D7D uses the same sensor with D70, but apparently, D7D color saturation & D70's are different... CMOS/CCD is important, firmware is also another key issue.

Thanks.. That's the thing I wanted to hear.. That makes alot of sense.. :)
how the firmware addresses the sensor will make a huge difference.
Even the raw would be different.

Thanks!!

very helpful, instead of pple telling me "what you pay for is what you get."
30% of the time, that's not true at all.

as for the flash placement.. I'm just thinking that if 120mm, your flash cannot zoom to 120mm (if theres such a setting) but must use a significantly wider flashhead = waste energy.
Though there are quite a few good reasons for placing the flash at the side.

Nothing against sony, but I'd prefer a more normal SLR looking camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.