Image protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
Why not build image protection into the clubsnap engine. This can be achieved by some JavaScript. This way, CS users don't have to take the extra step of watermarking every single image. Can be a pain.

Take a look at how image protection can be done here...

Image Protection

I have seen some websites that use this technique.. They are basically sites that want to sell their images.

Originally posted by maddog
Why not build image protection into the clubsnap engine. This can be achieved by some JavaScript. This way, CS users don't have to take the extra step of watermarking every single image. Can be a pain.

Image Protection

I have seen some websites that use this technique.. They are basically sites that want to sell their images.

Well this will work IF all the images are originated and stored in CS server. Currently most of the images are links from the CS users website.

Image Protection

I can disable the javascipt engine in my browser and the scipt will not run : )

Basically there is no full-proof way on the net, heard of people embedding digital ID in their picture....but never tried, and also troublesome.

To expand on Jason's explanation, right now, all images are linked from external websites which allow direct link to images. Therefore, while having the Javascript code to minimise *file copying* will work, in this particular case, the image links are being copied and then re-posted elsewhere. As long as the image is freely accessible, the Javascript will not work.

The Javascript code may also prevent a user from right-clicking to see the weblink, but there are other ways to grab. It all adds up to making the exercise more difficult for the leecher, but its not 100% foolproof.

A combination of the Javascript code (again, the author also notes that it can be circumvented) and a 'secure' server which only allows link to certain sites may be the best answer.

A possible solution may be to provide ClubSNAP members with some storage capabilities (free? chargeable? -> not decided yet) that can only be linked into/from ClubSNAP forums. This has to be discussed in terms of technical feasibility as well as from a cost standpoint.

Easiest way to implement that is to have the script block on the template file of this forum engine. Immediately prevents right-click on Javascript enabled browsers.

Of coz, that still won't prevent the more determined person to get it but it's a step closer.

Downside is that users will not be able to right click on those broken images (from pbase for e.g.) to cut & paste the URL onto a new browser to see that image.... :(

Regards
CK

Let me try to push these points thru again for those who can't comprehand:

1) most images on ClubSNAP are stored on OTHER web hosts, NOT ClubSNAP server itself, hence there is NO way we can block external linkages. (think abt it, many images on ClubSNAP forums are displayed by linking to external sites such as tripodasia.com, homex, etc...)

2) disabling right click is about the worse method of protecting your images since if you can see the images in your browser, its already ON your harddisk.

3) as others have mentioned, there are lots of other ways to get round the no-right-click thingy (besides disabling javascript on your browser), and our forums (or any other forums for that matter) makes it even easier (yes, i'm delibrately being vague here).

Darren has already mentioned the possiblity of providing storage on ClubSNAP servers (this is probably one of the best ways to minimise such problems since we can then cap external linkages) and the FMs are in the process of working things out. Give us time to make it happen and do start to put copyright messages in photos and especially in those that you value.

Hope I've managed to answer some questions on this issue. ;)

Originally posted by Edmund
Darren has already mentioned the possiblity of providing storage on ClubSNAP servers (this is probably one of the best ways to minimise such problems since we can then cap external linkages) and the FMs are in the process of working things out. Give us time to make it happen and do start to put copyright messages in photos and especially in those that you value.
Are you planning on using Gallery software for this? I saw that you had it installed. Since Gallery uses a flat-file db system and no code has been specifically written to integrate it with vBulliten (like has been done with PHPNuke, PostNuke, and XOOPS), you will have trouble integrating it into the clubsnap permissions system...you would have to specificallyadd users and their permission levels by hand...kinda a pain...or do you have another bit of software in mind?

Originally posted by OpenLens
Are you planning on using Gallery software for this? I saw that you had it installed. Since Gallery uses a flat-file db system and no code has been specifically written to integrate it with vBulliten (like has been done with PHPNuke, PostNuke, and XOOPS), you will have trouble integrating it into the clubsnap permissions system...you would have to specificallyadd users and their permission levels by hand...kinda a pain...or do you have another bit of software in mind?
We have installed the Gallery, evaluated it and found it not suitable for ClubSNAP's long term operations.

That is one of the main reasons why our plans for providing storage space on ClubSNAP servers have been delayed.

ClubSNAP is currently evaluating other systems that will offer a higher level of customisation with more stable and comprehensive features.

One way is to sign up for digital watermarking...wonder has anyone done it before...

If not, the best u can do is to add the copyright mark in your photo that you are posting to prevent people from claiming credit for your photos...

Originally posted by zapp!
One way is to sign up for digital watermarking...wonder has anyone done it before...

If not, the best u can do is to add the copyright mark in your photo that you are posting to prevent people from claiming credit for your photos...
But the sad thing is that some people will go and photoshop away the credits part :(
Some people are desperate enough to do that... stealing the photographer of his or her rightful credit.... :cry:

so how?? watermark right across the image.
Then you'll "spoil" the photo.

I think the best way is to resize it smaller and stamp your credit on the bottom or the top corner, and make sure that it won't be easy to photoshop off or something... :]

Or best, host it on a non-leeching server, so those thieves cannot link it off your server!

Just my 2 cents :)

Originally posted by andretan

Then you'll "spoil" the photo.

I think the best way is to resize it smaller and stamp your credit on the bottom or the top corner, and make sure that it won't be easy to photoshop off or something... :]

Or best, host it on a non-leeching server, so those thieves cannot link it off your server!

Just my 2 cents :)

then we'll use magnifying glass over the monitor to see it just like viewing slides. :bsmilie:

the thieves can always save the image elsewhere. non-leeching server does not solve problems. :(

This has been discussed to death on many other forums. Image protection is almost impossible on the internet. If it's that important to you, keep it off the net.

As I've said, once you put your picture up on the net, consider it fair game for all and sundry, copyright laws notwithstanding. If some sicko posts your picture on a girlie site, just *sigh* and get over it, or remove the original image if it is merely linked.

The best way to thwart would-be thieves of pictures with commercial value is to put a huge watermark over it like Corbis does, and make people pay if they want the original image. Even then, there's no guarantee the purchaser will not abuse your copyright, but at least he had to pay for the privilege.

For amateurs like us, just treat it as the sincerest form of flattery.

for your info, a press on the Print Scrn button will copy the picture into the scrapad... so easy to copy... watermark is a better solution but disfigure the picture... so how ah????

Originally posted by Perry
for your info, a press on the Print Scrn button will copy the picture into the scrapad... so easy to copy... watermark is a better solution but disfigure the picture... so how ah????

dont think there's an ideal solution. go back to the old days where we used to invite each other over to view photo albums. :bsmilie:

Would like to invite all of you stealing my image.
You may try the mouse right-click, PrtScreen, view source, or any other method you can think of.

My test page is here

please let me know your result.

Originally posted by tsdh
You may try the mouse right-click, PrtScreen, view source, or any other method you can think of.

My test page is here

nice! even the 'Print Screen' don't work.

Originally posted by tsdh

My test page is here

Requires an uknown plugin...instant turn off to a lot of your audience.

Originally posted by OpenLens
Requires an uknown plugin...instant turn off to a lot of your audience.
I think it requires the user to install the Java plugin or something... I can view it :p
:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.