imac vs pc graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
graphics wise, is imac really worth the premium over ibm compat?

was looking at the 24" for photoshopping.
http://store.apple.com/1800-MY-APPL...tore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=709334A3&nclm=iMacIntel

i saw it the other day at suntec.was really like...'woahhhh'.

i'm not really familiar with mac system.so, was wondering if there's any 24 inch monitor out there that can display the same 'woah' factor as the imac?or it boils down to graphics card?

please advise.:)

actually windows can output to any plasma/LCD tv.... no "woah" for you?

actually windows can output to any plasma/LCD tv.... no "woah" for you?

funy thing is when i see pics on my monitor, philips 19 inch, color calibrated.i dont get the same wow factor as i see it on mac 19 inch.is it psychological or is there really a difference?:dunno:

funy thing is when i see pics on my monitor, philips 19 inch, color calibrated.i dont get the same wow factor as i see it on mac 19 inch.is it psychological or is there really a difference?:dunno:

Mac Gamma defaults at 1.8
Windows Gamma defaults to 2.2

That's why images seem to look brighter on a mac. I love my macbook for that reason since it makes viewing the screen really easy. But setting windows gamma to 1.8 really makes everything look bad for some reason I haven't quite figured out yet. Enlighten me if there is a way to properly achieve a gamma of 1.8 on windows...

The Apple displays are unbelievably bright at their highest setting and definitely give that wow factor. I set mine at the lowest brightness for editing.

graphics wise, is imac really worth the premium over ibm compat?

was looking at the 24" for photoshopping.
http://store.apple.com/1800-MY-APPL...tore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=709334A3&nclm=iMacIntel

i saw it the other day at suntec.was really like...'woahhhh'.

i'm not really familiar with mac system.so, was wondering if there's any 24 inch monitor out there that can display the same 'woah' factor as the imac?or it boils down to graphics card?

please advise.:)

no worries abt the mac system... buying from epicentre (either wheelock or suntec) entitles u to a training lessson (FOC) which they will more or less help u get orientated to the mac system :)

but once u step into a mac, you would most likely not turn back ;)

no worries abt the mac system... buying from epicentre (either wheelock or suntec) entitles u to a training lessson (FOC) which they will more or less help u get orientated to the mac system :)

but once u step into a mac, you would most likely not turn back ;)

but mac is not 'upgradable' right?as in u cant open it and pop in new stuffs.:dunno:
really love their display.i wonder why our pc cant display those wonderful colors...or gamma.:dunno:

my mac gamma is set at 2.2 to match my windows desktop.

i have been drooling over the new intel imac/mbp as well,but my ibook refused to die!

but mac is not 'upgradable' right?as in u cant open it and pop in new stuffs.:dunno:
really love their display.i wonder why our pc cant display those wonderful colors...or gamma.:dunno:

humm...at this age and time, why in the world do u still ponder over upgrade issues.....in 3 years time, u will probabily export all valuable data and dump the obsolute system.

humm...at this age and time, why in the world do u still ponder over upgrade issues.....in 3 years time, u will probabily export all valuable data and dump the obsolute system.

so means if i spend 4k to get a mac system with 24 inch screen, it's as good as trash in 3 years time?:dunno:
geez...at least my lenses dun go obsolete on me.:bsmilie:

so means if i spend 4k to get a mac system with 24 inch screen, it's as good as trash in 3 years time?:dunno:
geez...at least my lenses dun go obsolete on me.:bsmilie:

dear....if you dont mind the screen that has been burning for 3 years, it's ok...but do u want to entrust your important stuff in a disk that has been spinning round and round for 3 years...

you can open it and pop in RAM lah. Dunno about harddisk. Display card definately cannot change.

One thing you must note is that currently Photoshop CS2 is not written natively for the intel imacs and thus the performance is OSX not as good if you run photoshop in Windows.

What type of monitor/LCD are you using? We have some G4s in the studio where I work and besides being larger screens, I dont really understand what you mean with the "whoa" thing, honestly. Do you mean the outlook of the monitor? Well, macs do have a nice exterior. But video output-wise, dont really see a difference.

you can open it and pop in RAM lah. Dunno about harddisk. Display card definately cannot change.

Mac hard disk also can upgrade lah. It's just standard SATA/2 hard disk.

was also thinking of getting the 24" .. i doubt i can fix my creative X-Fi sound card to apple right?
if i gonna dump my desktop .. wonder how about my 5.1 speakers? also cannot fixed to apple right

What type of monitor/LCD are you using? We have some G4s in the studio where I work and besides being larger screens, I dont really understand what you mean with the "whoa" thing, honestly. Do you mean the outlook of the monitor? Well, macs do have a nice exterior. But video output-wise, dont really see a difference.

i'm using philips 190b 19 inch.
i dont mean the outlook of the mac.
i mean the screen colors.

dunno why when i look at mine, it didnt stir anything in me.but when i walk past and saw their display, i was so tempted to get one.
psychological for new toys?:dunno: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.