iMac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Tiger

May 11, 2004
In the heart of SengKang
www.worldwar2aces.com
I have been a loyalist PC user more than a decade ever since my first PC.

Thinking of getting a new computer to replace my 4 years old HP PC.

Any complains / Grievance / Happy / Not Happy / Regret / No regert for the Apple system ?

Btw, anyone using iMac G5 so far ?
Thinking of getting this.
I use PC for internet surfing, office application, PS processing, MP3 music and military gaming (Medal of honour, Counter Strike and etc)

softwaretop20050503.jpg

Also, anyone knows any website to see the details benchmark between Pentium 4 Processor and Mac G5 ?

Paisei, cause not very knowledgable in Apple system yet. :sweat:

A mac will almost always be slower, but it makes it up through it's friendly GUI and eye candy :)

as been said countless times (perhaps not here), comparing the power of a G5 proc and an Intel proc is like comparing between apples (pun unintended) and oranges.

it all depends on what you want to use your computer system for, so you might want to shed some light there, but for what it's worth, a Mac G5 CAN and WILL fulfill your wildest dreams. A system so easy to use and that beautiful in aesthetics should be used by everyone.

KT - dun forget to factor in the replacement costs for all ur current Windoze software and some hardware (esp if they dun have mac drivers).

oh by the way, it's been announced that in a year or two, Mac systems will be replaced with Intel processors. at a recent conference, Steve Jobs was running the entire presentation on an Intel-based Mac. just thought you might want to know that, just in case. ;)

Waffle said:
as been said countless times (perhaps not here), comparing the power of a G5 proc and an Intel proc is like comparing between apples (pun unintended) and oranges.

it all depends on what you want to use your computer system for, so you might want to shed some light there, but for what it's worth, a Mac G5 CAN and WILL fulfill your wildest dreams. A system so easy to use and that beautiful in aesthetics should be used by everyone.

yeap... they use a different instruction sets.... Intel still using x86... Apple uses RISC... (my limited understanding, dun flame me...)

KingTiger, drop by tonight at NUG and let's talk or PM me... hee.

Why not consider PowerMac G5? :)

Note for PS, you'll need at least 1GB RAM, don't leave the shop without it.

Based on your usages, iLife 05 (iDVD, iMovieHD, iTunes, iPhoto) will give you everything you need for your editing, Mac Office 2004 will give you your office editing tools.

You can find more free/shareware Mac software at http://www.versiontracker.com this should put your mind at ease when you convert. There's a local help group too - http://www.macusersg.org/

As for games, you need games that will run on Mac, you can't run .EXE off Mac (with the exception of Virtual PC).

Cheers!

find a day and go test-drive a Mac system, maybe someone here has one, just remember to go home and try not to steal the system. :sweatsm:

Waffle said:
find a day and go test-drive a Mac system, maybe someone here has one, just remember to go home and try not to steal the system. :sweatsm:
AppleShops are a good place to try :) I know AppleShop@Funan has a 30" iMac on display... come KT, let's go there after work. :bsmilie:

KT, i told u mine reasons before, hope u can take that in consideration. It will be costly to migrate your existing PC software/games to MAC platform. I was at the same crossroads as u just a few months back, deciding between a 12" Powerbook or an IBM X series. Went with the X series in the end because a lot of my applications cannot work with Mac platform.

On the other hand, if u are buying just for graphics processing, look no further the G5 is the right machine for you :) :devil: :devil: Buy the dual G5 CPUs one hor :)

espn said:
AppleShops are a good place to try :) I know AppleShop@Funan has a 30" iMac on display... come KT, let's go there after work. :bsmilie:
the branch at Funan also almost always has pretty chicks working there, for some reason. i'm not complaining though!

Waffle said:
the branch at Funan also almost always has pretty chicks working there, for some reason. i'm not complaining though!
Well, they do serve and look better than the ones @ WheelLock heehee...

singscott said:
Huh? It a G5 lei. The fastest CPU chip ever made. ;)

As must as I would like it to be too, but many websites on the net have showed that it is not really the fastest. Even Mac themselves have to withdraw that claim from their ad ... I believe in England.

for superior user interface and friendliness, stability and virus/spyware computing, do yourself a favour and get a Mac. :)

for everything else, low budget, gaming, stability not critical, go get a pc.

i have iMac G5 20" & Power Mac G5. My last Wintel PC was Windows XP Sp2. I was into PC gaming also, but gave it up willingly in order to enjoy Mac.

If u buy a Mac, its very important to upgrade the ram, for iMac max it up to 2Gb running dual channel.

For most stuff tat u listed, it is sufficient.

But if ur using it for video editing or gaming in mind, Power Mac would fit u better. By using Power Mac, u have the options of upgrading ur parts later on. Mac has the same games as Windows do but usually they are 1-2 yrs behind due to some 3rd companies porting them for Mac.

And if u still can't let go windows, dun worry u can always use VirtualPC 7. I'm using it on my iMac for stuff tat doesn't available on Mac. Its speed is 10-20% of the G5 speed or equal to PIII-550Mhz, so its not too bad. :p

Both PC & Mac has their own strength & weakness.
Do a research on what u will gain & wat u must give up. It's not an easy decision & its definitely gonna be costly .

nightwolf75 said:
KT - dun forget to factor in the replacement costs for all ur current Windoze software and some hardware (esp if they dun have mac drivers).
"Ask and thou shalt be given" ;)

jsbn said:
"Ask and thou shalt be given" ;)
Can I have a dual-proc Power Mac G5 and a 30" Apple Cinema Display?

THANKS! :sticktong ;p

espn said:

30" iMac ???

1Ds said:
30" iMac ???
he's probably talking about the Mac HUMONGOUS, as opposed to the Mac mini. :sweat:

he probably meant the Apple Cinema Display la. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.