Im troubled with which DSLR to buy..

Snipsnapsnet

Jan 23, 2008
Im looking at a price range of high 2k, i always wanted to get a 7D

but with my budget i can get a D90 with a really good lens and exchange lens with most of my friends

or a 550D with two lens?

I love to shoot landscapes, wildlifes and fast moving things.

so, which Dslr is best suitable for me?

If you set a budget of say 2.9K (You may be able to go for higher budget but I presume you wanna set it at high 2k) I suggest you just grab a D90 or 550D cuz 7D already set you back by $2.3+K and you may only have bal for kit lens. If you go for D90 can have a combo of D90+ 70-300 VR or 80-200 f2.8 (used) + Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Tokina 14-24/11-16 (used).

Canon 550D combo can go for 550D + 70-200 f4 or 70-200 f4 IS (used)+ Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Tokina 14-24/11-16 (used).

That said I'm just pointing out that you need the glass to go with 7D and if you have set a budget then better look for D90 or 550D. I think D90 has slightly higher FPS than 550D. But if you need 7 FPS and up then 7D can do it.

Hope that helps you in your decision.

Last edited:
Take note DSLR is a system, thus dun spend all your budget on camera body alone.
Still need to buy those flash, filter, dry cabinet, editing s/w, tripod especially for landscape, etc..
Its a BBB hole for you to drop in :devil:

Hi Snipsnapsnet,

If you have friends who already own Nikon system and its various accessories, then that is the answer you have been looking for.

Why? You can always borrow the lenses you need (if they are truly your friends) withuout worrying about forking out additional $$$ for lenses you may want to try and play with.

Cheers.

PS: Sorry if i'm rambling, cos flu medicine has taken hold of my faculties ...

Im looking at a price range of high 2k, i always wanted to get a 7D

but with my budget i can get a D90 with a really good lens and exchange lens with most of my friends

or a 550D with two lens?

I love to shoot landscapes, wildlifes and fast moving things.

so, which Dslr is best suitable for me?

You friends got lenses ar? Buy a D700 body and borrow lenses from your friends... :devil:

Actually, D90 offers a lot more controls, and these quick access to controls are perfect for landscape photography.

You friends got lenses ar? Buy a D700 body and borrow lenses from your friends... :devil:

Actually, D90 offers a lot more controls, and these quick access to controls are perfect for landscape photography.

Next time we go outing, I will kop your lens :bsmilie:

Anyway, I used to think, get better body, lens can slowly build up. But later I realize, good body or entry level body, will still depreciate faster than lens. Hmm

Last edited:
Which feels best and most comfy in your hands?

thanks for everybodys reply

Anyway, I used to think, get better body, lens can slowly build up. But later I realize, good body or entry level body, will still depreciate faster than lens. Hmm

quite make sense to me, i think focusing on lens will be better idea. thanks! i think i go with D90!
but specs waste 550D looks better ohhh well..
i'll test them out, im more toward D90 side now

Definitely the D90!

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages in your situation, and the real life performance the the camera seems to still be impressive, to me anyways!

And I'm a Canon user. :bsmilie:

Next time we go outing, I will kop your lens :bsmilie:

Most of my lens are AFD and Ais. You D5k how to use? :bsmilie:

Ya bro. digital bodies depreciate damn fast. Lose around 50% value in 2 years. But don't think depreciation la. If it is a good cam, you can use it for quite a while. Who cares what others are using, as long as your current camera meet your current needs.

thanks for everybodys reply

quite make sense to me, i think focusing on lens will be better idea. thanks! i think i go with D90!
but specs waste 550D looks better ohhh well..
i'll test them out, im more toward D90 side now

As you said so yourself. It looks good on paper. Nothing to do with real world performance in the field. Can be better can be worse.

from wat u've suggest, i think the D90 is the way to go. D90 and a good lens. i think the 550D is a bit lower in terms of performance.. and i think the fact that u can use lens from ur friends if u go with Nikon is a huge plus too

this is a value for money thread... where are the sony fanboys?

Whats good for one DSLR user.... might not be good for U.

Sorry TS.... can't help you with $$$ issue, but since most of your friends are using Nikon... suggest you go Nikon.

Just my 2-Cents :sweat:

Sounds like a D90 suits you for now...

Hi, 550D ($1120)+10-22mm($1100)(equ 16-35mm). 10-22mm has good review on most websites

Hi, 550D ($1120)+10-22mm($1100)(equ 16-35mm). 10-22mm has good review on most websites

But this only satisfies one of his photographic needs...he wants to shoot wildlife too.

@TS
Since most of your friends using Nikon, then go Nikon lor. Can test ur friend's equips to see which ones you like/need.

A basic kit would be something like D90 +18-105 kit (or D5000 + 18-55 kit if you wanna save up more for lenses) + 55-200 vr + a wide angle zoom (not really familiar with wide angle lenses, sorry). You shld be able to get these new. If you don't mind 2nd hand then I think you can prolly get D90, 18-105 and 70-300 vr.

Also, wildlife quite vague lol...wildlife can be birds, tigers, flowers, insects etc. Those need different lenses, or you can just get a telephoto lens and add a close-up filter/lens for macro if you don't really look at 100% crops

lol, but these are genuine considerations.
Are you sure you can lend the lenses from your friends? Do they actually have this practice in place already (as in share amongst themselves)? Even if they are willing, I would hesitate lending my friends 1K+ lenses. :embrass: mah!
But at the very least, you should be able to try the lenses on the spot to check out potential future purchases.

You also need to reserve money for other items like dry box, bag, etc.

Cameras from all major makers are good enough for what you want to do.

lol, but these are genuine considerations.
Are you sure you can lend the lenses from your friends? Do they actually have this practice in place already (as in share amongst themselves)? Even if they are willing, I would hesitate lending my friends 1K+ lenses. :embrass: mah!
But at the very least, you should be able to try the lenses on the spot to check out potential future purchases.

You also need to reserve money for other items like dry box, bag, etc.

Cameras from all major makers are good enough for what you want to do.

Err.... I did lent my 100-400mm to a friend for well over 1.5weeks..... don't see why ppl treat their lens better than their friends.... :think: