I'm torn by choice of camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
I've sold off my Powershot S30 and now looking for a new camera. However, I'm completely loss as to which camera to buy (Tweek can attest to that, I think I'm driving him nuts).

Basically I've more or less shortlisted the choices (in order of preference) to F717, 5700 or 7Hi (though it's quite a bit more expensive than the other 2 models, and ergonomics wise it's not that nice).

F717:
+ fast lens (f/2.0 - f/2.4)
+ zoom/MF ring
+ twistable body (I like, some don't)
+ built-in lens thread
+ night-framing (though might be over-hyped liao, since only works in PE and auto)
+ fast AF
- bulk
- noisy images (compared to 5700)
- overly saturated reds (dunno if it's a big problem though)

5700:
+ 8x lens (35mm-280mm)
+ nice body (SLR like)
+ huge amount of external controls (quick changes in settings)
- image quality with CGMY colour array (see dpreview's comments on bayer's artifacts)
- low light focusing problems?? (dunno how bad this really is)

7Hi:
????????????? (know nuts abt this camera)

Any inputs from you guys? Also, are there any other cameras worth considering at this price point? Thanks!!

Have you considered the Olympus E-10? No doubt it's "old", and has "only" 4 megapixels, I think it easily outperforms those you've mentioned. It's a lot nicer to handle too, with a mechanical zoom ring (as opposed to yucky power zooms most digicams have) and really feels like a DSLR (Hey, it IS a DSLR). Only $1699 when you trade in any camera. Free 2 x 64MB SM.

Regards
Ck

Nice deal leh!

Don't bother with the 717, get a real camera like the E10!

Thanks for all the replies!

Wolfgang, I looked into S602 before, also handled Tweek's one briefly. Originally found that the camera was too big (haha, like the F717 is any smaller... ;) ). Actually quite neutral abt this camera, somehow it doesn't appeal to me (dunno why).

ckiang/yslee, yeah, I considered the E-10 before. However, the disadvantages seems to more than its advantages. Max shutter speed of 1/640 and weird ISO settings (80, 160, 320???). Also from dpreview's pics seems a tad too noisy IMHO. Lastly, really hate to go the SM route... :D

BTW, what exactly is the problem with F717? Seems like a lot of pple don't like it.

Also realised another advantage of the 5700, it has an optional portrait grip that can take 6xAA batts. That would give it a huge amount of power!! (Dunno how much battery life that would translate to, but it's sounds good!)

You're reading paper specs. You don't determine how good a camera is by on paper. Go use it, and you'll understand.

Originally posted by darkness

Wolfgang, I looked into S602 before, also handled Tweek's one briefly. Originally found that the camera was too big (haha, like the F717 is any smaller... ;) ). Actually quite neutral abt this camera, somehow it doesn't appeal to me (dunno why).

ckiang/yslee, yeah, I considered the E-10 before. However, the disadvantages seems to more than its advantages. Max shutter speed of 1/640 and weird ISO settings (80, 160, 320???). Also from dpreview's pics seems a tad too noisy IMHO. Lastly, really hate to go the SM route... :D

BTW, what exactly is the problem with F717? Seems like a lot of pple don't like it.

Also realised another advantage of the 5700, it has an optional portrait grip that can take 6xAA batts. That would give it a huge amount of power!! (Dunno how much battery life that would translate to, but it's sounds good!)

F717 uses the (still) very proprietary Memory Stick. Even SD has got greater acceptance.

The ISO settings are not "weird". There are films at ISO 160 as well, and I routinely expose my 400 at 320, 800 at 640, etc. :) Don't read too many reviews, like YS said. Go out there and try the camera for yourself. The E10 takes both SM and CF, and even has a raw mode.

5700 has rather slow AF, I reckon the same for 717 as well. D7 has rather slow and noisy AF, I dunno whether the 7i and 7HI has improved that.

If you ignore paper specs, the E10 is a really capable camera.

Regards
CK

er... i did consider 5700 b4, but i must say that u must prepare 2k for it (imagine the 6xAA batts pack cost u 1xx), wideangle lens adapter is different from TC (if i didn't remember wrongly)... so i gave up and choose 602 instead...

another thing is that, IMO sony accessories are always expensive, batt can cost u over 100 for one, somemore charge time take quite long... :eek:

I've tried out the F717 and 7Hi at CP before with Tweek. The autofocus on the F717 is improved compared to F707, though Tweek found that it's slower than his S602 at the wide angle end. Still, it's a lot faster than the S30.

My only gripe with the F717 is the lack of the various tweaks that can be done in camera to due to the oversaturation of reds. Also, changing settings like ISO, or pic quality is done via the menus (most prosumers are able to accomplish this via external buttons).

Ergonomics wise I find the F717 pleasing, though Tweek found the right hand side of the camera too small. We both agree that the shutter release feels "broken". The half-shutter point cannot really be felt, unlike the affirmative feel on the S30.

Also tried the 7Hi, the shape is horrible!! The manual zoom ring is also very tight and it was very difficult to change the focal length. Perhaps it's too new?? Price wise it's also almost $300 more expensive than the F717.

I didn't get to try the 5700 (out of stock in CP) and E-10 (never considered it then). Can't really comment on the feel of the E-10 (since I've never used it), but paper specs aside, isn't the noise level an issue here?? That is, if the pics in dpreview is anything to go by.

5700's AF I think would be on par with the S30, so I guess I can sort of live with it (after using the S30 for 2 mths). However, low light AF seems to give the 5700 a lot of problems (since it does not have an AF assist lamp nor does it support AF lamp function on external flashes), which I think is a big drawback. But I think the feel of the 5700 should be pretty good (based on the looks), and since it's from Nikon, accessories shouldn't be an issue (they are after all a REAL camera company).

So how? I think I'm still getting nowhere... :dunno: :( got to try out the 5700 and E-10 I guess...

I would still recommand S602 and since you have handled Tweek's camera, i would be hard-pressed to think of a reason why you would be opposed to this camera. :dunno:

1. Dual media
2. Fast AF (for a DC)
3. Ease of use
4. Excellent rate for power consumption (almost like the C700, which is to say, ard 2 hrs to 2.5 hrs for 4 AA recharge-ables [Either 1600 or 1850])
5. Light weight

Only con i can honestly think of is the colour cast problem...

Oh well, just my 2 cents. :)

Wolfgang, it's all your fault, I'm now the new owner of Tweek's S602Z liao... ;) Now I'm whole again... :bsmilie:

So u decided to get Tweek's S602. Good camera. Happy shooting.

Wolfgang, it's all your fault, I'm now the new owner of Tweek's S602Z liao... ;) Now I'm whole again... :bsmilie:
warm welcome to 602~ ;)

shoot shoot... ;p

Thanks for the warm welcome! ;) All Tweek's fault lah, so generous and lend me to try until I gian... heheheh... :D

Must say that the feel of the camera is really good, and the shift button is really useful! The macro ability of the camera is also very nice, think should be very suitable for insects and flower shots. Only issue I encounter so far is with low light focusing. Without an AF assist lamp it's going to lose out to the competition. Now where did I leave my laser pointer...

Status
Not open for further replies.