I'm thinking of Dumping Canon for Pentax!

Status
Not open for further replies.

art2d3d

Dec 15, 2003
Can someone enlighten me what is the strongest reason for me to switch from Canon 30D to Pentax K10D?

I need some pointers.

Thanks a million.

The strongest reason to switch should come from you and not us.

Can someone enlighten me what is the strongest reason for me to switch from Canon 30D to Pentax K10D?

I need some pointers.

Thanks a million.

SR and backward compatibility with all it legacy lenses...irony canon can accept all other mounts thru adaptor except it own fd mount:sweat:

What is the reason for dumping Canon? Before you tell us, we cannot offer you any advice.
Anyway I sold my Canon 30D and I am still a Pentax K10D user ............:)

I need some pointers.

Thanks a million.

Can't think of any. Might as well spend the money for switching the camera to buy a better lens.

If you don't own the Canon 30D, K10D is probably easier on the pocket. All camera has it's strength and weakness. In any case, it ain't going to help you take better photos.

What is the reason for dumping Canon? Before you tell us, we cannot offer you any advice.
Anyway I sold my Canon 30D and I am still a Pentax K10D user ............:)

I'm selling my Nikon stuff and go to Pentax, because K10d is everything I expect from a Camera, because I can use 100 S$ lenses I find anywhere on ebay or old stocks, because it's light, because it's strong, because it's cheap.

Maybe an important reason is that Canon or Nikon make marketing stuff and Pentax make cameras for photographers.

Thanks everyone... some of the reason is that ...

A) I got not much time to shoot photos these few days. I wish to lighten my load of equipments.
B) Lesser "fight" between who have a better lens for the camera.
C) K10D has more features than Canon 30D, and cost lesser than Nikon and Canon of the same class.
D) I heard their lens are cheaper a lot than CANON.
E) I wish to stop from buying more " 3rd-party" gadgets.

BTW, is the K10D made in JAPAN?
Where is the best place to get The Body, Grip, 1x Ultra Widw , 1 X Standard Zoom ( 16-45mm f4) and Pentax Flash ( big or small?)

Thanks.

A) I got not much time to shoot photos these few days. I wish to lighten my load of equipments.
C) K10D has more features than Canon 30D, and cost lesser than Nikon and Canon of the same class.

Where is the best place to get The Body, Grip, 1x Ultra Widw , 1 X Standard Zoom ( 16-45mm f4) and Pentax Flash ( big or small?)

Thanks.
B is quite funny; but I think it could be because the C and N fanboys who follow the crowd have run out of things to talk about, so they fight over equipment to get ego trips. Here, we still can whine about the lack of availability of lenses in Singapore and other stuff. =D

Just a joke only hor, guys. I know everyone here is very nice, and frankly yes, the Pentax community in CS seems pretty different from the rest, everyone who stays with Pentax seems to be quite satisfied and willing to die to defend the brand, for good reason too.

Yes, K10D has a lot of features for its price, the lens CAN be cheaper than Canon in the sense that you never have to fork out money for IS anymore.. But of course needless to say at this point in time, and in the future whatever it may be, Pentax has its cons, has been discussed rather thoroughly and truthfully by people inside and outside Pentax here in this thread, if you ask me.

Not sure about 3rd party gadgets, but hey, I think you'll still get to buy them, ha.

Thanks.

A) lighten your load, meaning economically?
B) it isn't your fight unless you want to take it up.
C) agree on K10D features, canon strong points are it's noise control and fast AF even in lowlight.
D) You might miss canon's USM I'm not sure how much SSM lenses will cost.
E) What "3-rd party" gadgets :dunno:

Also if you wan ultra wide... you better check what's the widest for Pentex available in Sg.

Also if you wan ultra wide... you better check what's the widest for Pentex available in Sg.
That actually depends on whether he wants to consider 3rd party lenses, ehehehe.

One thing I really appreciate about Pentax is the backward compatibility with regards to lenses. Photography isn't always a cheap hobby if one always buys the latest lenses. With Pentax, I have picked up nice older lenses at very affordable prices and they work flawlessly, something that isn't always the case for Canon.

There are lots of good glass on the older breech lock FD mount but current EOS owners can't use them. Older 3rd party AF lenses often can't be used on current EOS bodies because they need to be re-chipped. That invariably means if you use Canon, your options are original Canon lenses and new 3rd party lenses.

As an aside, my hope is that with Pentax's move towards SDM lenses (where the AF motor is built in the lens), their future bodies will still retain the in-body AF motor that will allow the non-SDM AF lenses to be used. Nikon has already dropped the in-body AF motor with their D40 & D40X and "point" them to use AF-S lenses if they need AF.

It is rare that a existing canon user would want to switch to a up and coming niche make currently.

Firstly, they have invested $$$ on lenses (and Canon stuff are reputated to be very costly and more so in Singapore due to local agent pricing policy).
Secondly, its current reputation for depth and range of accessories and user base cannot be ignored.
Thirdly, other canon users would try to stop you from moving away from the dark side "why? canon is superior! We have HSM lenses! Our AF is fast!"

If you can overcome these barriers, then I am pretty sure the move would be rewarding. Of course there may be some bits of the C-camp that you will miss (as in all other endeavours) but Pentax is doing things right and their road map is exciting and as you can see here, Pentaxians are passionate, friendly and helpful!

So Join us! :thumbsup::)

I sold my Canon 30D and all my L lenses. Bought the K10D with BG and few lenses like 16-45,43L, 77L, 100 Macro and 360FGZ, still have $$$$ left...:D
No more LBA...becoz hard to find Pentax lenses and accessories (save my wallet $$$$).:sweatsm:

I am thinking of Dumping Canon for Pentax too.:)

I sold my Canon 30D and all my L lenses. Bought the K10D with BG and few lenses like 16-45,43L, 77L, 100 Macro and 360FGZ, still have $$$$ left...:D
No more LBA...becoz hard to find Pentax lenses and accessories (save my wallet $$$$).:sweatsm:

such is the power of the Force..welcome to the rebellion!
With $$$ left, now you can buy the voightlander or Carl Zeiss lenses!

such is the power of the Force..welcome to the rebellion!
With $$$ left, now you can buy the voightlander or Carl Zeiss lenses!

I owned that V125/2.5 Macro lenses in Canon mount b4. YES! It's a good sharp heavy solid lens, but do you know, my fingers were cramp after the shooting.:bsmilie:

I came from Canon! Stayed for Pentax.

Maybe an important reason is that Canon or Nikon make marketing stuff and Pentax make cameras for photographers.

Well said :D If only Pentax makes better flash:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.