Im stuck and confuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

10dollar

Jan 13, 2010
Hi ppl, imma female who are stuck w Canon1000d and sony a230!

I've no idea which to get! My budget is ard that price tho... :p

Here is a review of 3 cameras in your budget including the 2 you mentioned: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Canon-EOS-1000D-Nikon-D3000--Sony-Alpha-A230-12497

Also you should go down to a shop and hold all 3 in your hands and play with the buttons to see which one suits you more, some have awkward button placements that some users don't like but other users love.

I think the A230 is a fair bit cheaper than the 1000D, based on the prices I've noticed in newspapers and/or at the shops.

Both are good cameras. Try them both and see which you prefer. Probably one will feel better to hold and to operate. It's a rather personal choice.

Just wondering if you've considered other cameras around that price too, or you've your heart set on only one of these 2 you've shortlisted.

The A230 is cheaper if you go to the recommended shops. I really suggest you hold both in your hands, see which feels better to you.

I think the A230 is a fair bit cheaper than the 1000D, based on the prices I've noticed in newspapers and/or at the shops.

Both are good cameras. Try them both and see which you prefer. Probably one will feel better to hold and to operate. It's a rather personal choice.

Just wondering if you've considered other cameras around that price too, or you've your heart set on only one of these 2 you've shortlisted.

hey, ive shortlisted this 2 cus i think they are quite gd. initailly wanna get g11/lx3 but after much consideration, i think i might as well use that money to get a dslr. my friend is using a200, which i think its gd for...hmm...me. canon wise, not sure, just well-known in dslr&compact. :)

most Sony Gallery have a working display set for you to try. For Canon 1000D, try the Canon showroom at vivocity.

just to add, might want to check out the Pentax K-x.

hey, ive shortlisted this 2 cus i think they are quite gd. initailly wanna get g11/lx3 but after much consideration, i think i might as well use that money to get a dslr. my friend is using a200, which i think its gd for...hmm...me. canon wise, not sure, just well-known in dslr&compact. :)

Well, the A200 and the A230 are designed very differently. But in both cases you can get good deals second-hand here on CS.

Welcome to CS:) Ya, hold it, feel it, touch it, depress the shutter & compare ;)

Welcome to CS.
Between the 2. I like the A230 better. Its a bit better featured than the 1000D with shake reduction and a spot meter.
Here are the 2 cameras compared
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...cameras=canon_eos1000d,sony_dslra230&show=all

If you can go a bit higher, then the Pentax Kx is very good choice at $800 with 18-55mm kit lens.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

edit : oops! just realized that price has just been slashed to $800.

Last edited:
Hi,

Feel that your main criteria should be ergonomics and function.

The camera has to be comfortable in your hands, particularly when you go on your shooting jaunts, carrying the camera shooting everything under the sun ... and moon, and clouds, and coconut trees, and any other hanging things.

In terms of functionality, it should allow you to freely experiment the different photography fields, like macro, landscape, portraits, etc. The Pentax system is also good system to look at, although I'm using Canon.

Hope this doesn't confuse you even more. Just be firm in your decision and don't look back wondering if you should have gotten a different brand/model. Main aim is to look through the viewfinder, compose the picture and then *SNAP*. Enjoy the process then :)

Cheers.

ooo! useful advice. I might try and feel it myself! thanks!!!

Actually that the best approach. ;)

If it doesn't feel comfortable in YOUR hands, chances are you won't use the camera very much, right? :) If possible, try it with a small as well as large zoom lens at the same time - just to see how the camera balances with other lenses.

All the best!

Get the Pentax K x.

It is not given superb reviews on many sites for no reason. $800 body with 18-55 kit lens,$900+ body with 18-55 and 50-200 telephoto lens, $1100+ body with 18-55 and 55-300 telephoto lens.

pentax-kx.gif

Get the Pentax K x.

It is not given superb reviews on many sites for no reason. $800 body with 18-55 kit lens,$900+ body with 18-55 and 50-200 telephoto lens, $1100+ body with 18-55 and 55-300 telephoto lens.

pentax-kx.gif

its pretty! where to get them? and... is there red color in sg? i heard there are alot of color from japan! real cool. lots of CS is promoting pentax kx!

its pretty! where to get them? and... is there red color in sg? i heard there are alot of color from japan! real cool. lots of CS is promoting pentax kx!

well there are many places,example SLR Revolution, 4th or 5th floor funan centre. Alan photo at Sim lim square or funan. Cathay photo (price tend to be higher here) at penisular plaza. Orient photo 6th floor Sim lim square.

Yes red color is available in Singapore. It is currently the best feature laden, most value for money and prettiest DSLR.

I think ergonomics and button placement might matter less if this is your first dslr. It matters more when you have used cameras for a while and your body automatically 'looks' for certain places to access certain functions. Since your friend is using the a200, get the Sony (especially if it is a very close friend you go out with often). Eventually when you start to buy more lens, you can try out your friend's equipment first to see if you like the focal length, etc and also buy different lens to share when you go out together.

I think ergonomics and button placement might matter less if this is your first dslr. It matters more when you have used cameras for a while and your body automatically 'looks' for certain places to access certain functions. Since your friend is using the a200, get the Sony (especially if it is a very close friend you go out with often). Eventually when you start to buy more lens, you can try out your friend's equipment first to see if you like the focal length, etc and also buy different lens to share when you go out together.

Yup... you and your friend can share lenses.

I second the advice on trying out. While all camera are pretty much shaped the same, the outlook is different. A beauty to one may be ugly to another. Just like affinity to a brand.

Happy shopping

I would choose Sony a230.
Brand new one with kit lens can cost as low as $600 only.

And for a girl's hand the a230 should feel just nice, since the a230 is targetted for girls in the first place.

And since ur friend is a Sony user too, u can share lens with him/her. Save lots of money this way lol

Last edited:
You received alot of inputs, so im left with wishing you good luck on your purchase and have fun with it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.