I'm really stumped by this question ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
A kid of mine got an amusing question for me which have left me dumbfounded.

Are cauliflower and brocooli flowers or vegetables? If it's any one of the two (or even both), why? :dunno:

TIA! ;)

It's vege, but because the shape resembles flower-like, that's why there's "flower" in the name.:angel:

it's a metamorphis flower part. Just another natural form of plants in surviving in the world after times of evolution. Like ginger, it's actually stem but yet buried itself underground and so bla bla bla for the rest of the plants.

for your question, it is a vegetable. That said, flower buds on the vegetable does not change the fact that it is vegetable.

nowadays got health education one ah? :D

I only remember last time, teachers keep asking us to drink milk. And schools even order milk for us....haha

Well, there was another one abt whether tomatoes are fruits or vegetables. Read that finally, it was actually decided by the Supreme Court or something!

..NuTs..

Originally posted by Shadus
nowadays got health education one ah? :D

I only remember last time, teachers keep asking us to drink milk. And schools even order milk for us....haha

OT: Drink Milk? Hehe.. Gone are the days when we were told to line up along the longkangs after finishing our recess at the "tuckshop" and brush our teeth and rinse with those plastic cups and of course, gurgling and spitting into the drain... :D :p

according to the bio teacher... cauliflower is not a flower. the flower-like structure is actually the leaves of the plant. As for the broccoli, it is the flower of a plant.

Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and kailan are all the same species... just as poodles and german shepherds are all dogs. They've been bred to produce their unique qualities.

Are cauliflower and brocooli flowers or vegetables?
The answer is both. "Anatomically" broccoli and cauliflower are flower buds, and tomatoes (not related) are fruit. But since we cook/eat them like veggies, that's what they're called.

"Flower" is botanical; "vegetable" is functional. ;)

Originally posted by d7t3
Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and kailan are all the same species... just as poodles and german shepherds are all dogs. They've been bred to produce their unique qualities.

The answer is both. "Anatomically" broccoli and cauliflower are flower buds, and tomatoes (not related) are fruit. But since we cook/eat them like veggies, that's what they're called.

"Flower" is botanical; "vegetable" is functional. ;)

Someday, 'cher. I'm going to ask you a question that I hope you cannot answer. Just like how that professor asked us to do.

You sound like you're having some GP lect. LOL.

Originally posted by Wolfgang
OT: Drink Milk? Hehe.. Gone are the days when we were told to line up along the longkangs after finishing our recess at the "tuckshop" and brush our teeth and rinse with those plastic cups and of course, gurgling and spitting into the drain... :D :p

hahah u could always try to seek a career in teaching n intro that to ur students....;p

never try getting ur students into photography? LOL subversion...

anyway for those who did army... vegetable is an appointment, while flower/fruit/seed etc is a rank... LOL

i.e. can eat == vege, eg potato is a root we eat.

tomato should be a fruit since it grows off a flower... so are chillies...

dict.com "A plant cultivated for an edible part, such as the root of the beet, the leaf of spinach, or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower"

Originally posted by Wolfgang

I always wonder if they still play police-n-thief or zero-point... or now just digimon each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.