I'm going to shoot film!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
Hi people!! I'm gonna shoot film for the first time!! On a EOS 888 nontheless.. =x
Haa, so my question is, How much does producing slides cost? Also, Can i develope negatives first, then develop the pictures? And if i were to shoot in B&W, i'd require B&W films right? How much would these films cost approximately?? Also, how much are the processing charges?? Where would you guys recommend??

Tahnks!

dropping by a while and saw this. so here it goes:

1. Developing slides - $4.80 at RGB and $6 at Color Lab

2. You can develop your negatives first, normally it costs $3/$3.50 per roll. Printing selected photos or the whole roll can be done later, though some shops charge $0.05/$0.10 per piece more for reprinting after developing than if developing and printing are done together for the same roll initially.

3. Yes, you'll need B&W films. Get the bulk rolled ones if you can, will cost normally from $3-$4+. If you get them off the shelves in the boxes from the shops, it'll cost much more, from $5-$7 roughly.

4. For B&W, few shops offer traditional B&W developing/processing/printing.
Good shops to mention are RGB, Konota, Ruby and Fee Fee.
It'll be about $5 to $6+ for developing alone.
You might want to get the contact sheet printed too, which is like an index print but on 8R paper.

To add on, EOS 888 does not have ISO setting over-riding if I'm not wrong, so either you will have to get the B&W films from the shops or get those bulk-rolled and DX coded.

Feel free to drop any queries here and the friendly pple here will reply you.
Or you can drop me a PM if there's anything you need.

Cheers and koonzz time!:)

P.S.: You can just do a search on past threads in the forum, using keywords such as B&W, films, printing, developing etc. You'll be surprised that there are/were lots of such questions asked in the past. I had gathered alot of information from these threads :)

OzOn3 said:
Hi people!! I'm gonna shoot film for the first time!! On a EOS 888 nontheless.. =x
Haa, so my question is, How much does producing slides cost? Also, Can i develope negatives first, then develop the pictures? And if i were to shoot in B&W, i'd require B&W films right? How much would these films cost approximately?? Also, how much are the processing charges?? Where would you guys recommend??

Tahnks!

No wonder they say shooting film is not cheap.. =x

Haa.. So where's RGB? Since it's recommended for color and B&W.. Heh.. I got my friend to get me films.. Hope i can produce decent shots with my P&S in SLR clothing.. :D

What's a contact sheet?

not cheap and not too expensive :)

near Bugis Junction,
103 Beach Road
#01-01 Premier Centre
Singapore 189704
Tel: 63346146
Fax: 63346147.

You can try them for their slides developing, $4.80/roll. Printing to 4R for slides costs $1.50 per piece. And for films, go to KT/Color Lab/Konata etc. For B&W, you can try out Fee Fee or a guy in CS, plsoong.
if you want, just try out a few rolls of normal film, maybe Fuji Superia 200, for a start, develop without printing and ask the shop for scans.(Costs me $3 for developing only and $3 for scanning to CD at KT). See the results for yourself. Any P&S can produce decents results. I'm sure you have grasped the basics of the technical aspects of the camera and photography. So just concentrate on compostion and good shots will be on the way:)

"....get the contact sheet printed too, which is like an index print but on 8R paper..."

OzOn3 said:
No wonder they say shooting film is not cheap.. =x

Haa.. So where's RGB? Since it's recommended for color and B&W.. Heh.. I got my friend to get me films.. Hope i can produce decent shots with my P&S in SLR clothing.. :D

What's a contact sheet?

hi,
for colour negs can try Kim Tian in chinatown also. prices are very reasonable, good quality and friendly service.

contact sheet is a sheet (?) with thumbnails of all your pics from the roll.

for B&W developing, maybe can try plsoong's developing service
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=46128
(me biased though since he's my classmate and i sometimes help him develop :p)
or you can try doing it yourself if you have a darkroom (or a really dark bathroom). it's really fun.

whoops, meng replied before me. nevermind, disregard this then.

yups, I'll be sending my next few rolls to plsoong. And I'll be continuing to be his customer if all turns out well :)
giddygoat said:
hi,
for colour negs can try Kim Tian in chinatown also. prices are very reasonable, good quality and friendly service.

contact sheet is a sheet (?) with thumbnails of all your pics from the roll.

for B&W developing, maybe can try plsoong's developing service
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=46128
(me biased though since he's my classmate and i sometimes help him develop :p)
or you can try doing it yourself if you have a darkroom (or a really dark bathroom). it's really fun.

whoops, meng replied before me. nevermind, disregard this then.

meng said:
not cheap and not too expensive :)

near Bugis Junction,
103 Beach Road
#01-01 Premier Centre
Singapore 189704
Tel: 63346146
Fax: 63346147.

You can try them for their slides developing, $4.80/roll. Printing to 4R for slides costs $1.50 per piece. And for films, go to KT/Color Lab/Konata etc. For B&W, you can try out Fee Fee or a guy in CS, plsoong.
if you want, just try out a few rolls of normal film, maybe Fuji Superia 200, for a start, develop without printing and ask the shop for scans.(Costs me $3 for developing only and $3 for scanning to CD at KT). See the results for yourself. Any P&S can produce decents results. I'm sure you have grasped the basics of the technical aspects of the camera and photography. So just concentrate on compostion and good shots will be on the way:)

"....get the contact sheet printed too, which is like an index print but on 8R paper..."

Wha, interesting. So developing slides cost $4.80 at RGB.. Cool. That's pretty cheap.. Heh.. Oh i heard from a CSer that printing from Slides to print is expensive. Now i see why. :eek:

Haha.. I dunno what film he getting for me also.. But i did tell him to get ISO 200.. :D I'll think i'll shoot candid/street when i'm free.. Hope they'll turn out good..

Wha you think highly of me man.. =x

i think i missed that out.. Heh..

Oh ya, i wanna ask if there are any implications if i develope in a shop as opposed to giving to our CSers.. I did a search and found out that plsoong is able to "control" the development process according to how you want it.. Like high contrast kinda thing.. I guess it's a good thing, right? heh..

Wha, plsoong's service cheaper than shops sia.. Haa.. :D

i think i'll keep him in view..

OzOn3 said:

Tahnks!

Hi just thot to add that if you do not want to spend that kind of cash to take B&W shots, you can also try the alternative chromogenic films. They can be sent to a colour lab to be processed (at colour film prices $3-$3.50) but get the B&W or sepia finish.

The 2 films I am aware of are the Ilford XP2 and the Kodak T400CN both cost ard 5 bucks each. You can get Ilford at Ruby, the Kodak at Cathay

coke21 said:
Hi just thot to add that if you do not want to spend that kind of cash to take B&W shots, you can also try the alternative chromogenic films. They can be sent to a colour lab to be processed (at colour film prices $3-$3.50) but get the B&W or sepia finish.

The 2 films I am aware of are the Ilford XP2 and the Kodak T400CN both cost ard 5 bucks each. You can get Ilford at Ruby, the Kodak at Cathay

yeah. these films also have wider exposure latitude than the regular b/w films. so for a new film user, this might be a good start.

Printing 4R from slides at Color Lab is $1, slightly cheaper than RGB's $1.50

Actually you can even do your own developing youself. I have not tried plsoong's service personally, but I think he should be competent in it in order to be confident his services to us.
You can PM/email him for more information.

As for the cheaper aspect of chromogenic films, yes, they can be sent to a color lab to process at the same price as color films. But they seldom come in bulk-rolled so you'll have to get them in their boxed-form at about $5 each. (So total = $5 for film + $3 for processing = $8/roll)
For popular B&W films such as Tmax100, Tmax400 and Trix400, it's quite easy to find them in bulk roll or bulk-loaded from some of the guys around - about $3.50 each roll. (So total = $3.50 for film and $5 for processing = $8.50/roll)
As you can see, the total costs of developing alone and the film does not differ much if you don't mind bulk-loaded ones.

But if you do want to print some nice shots, of course printing at color labs from chromogenic films will be cheaper, about $0.30-$0.50 for 4R. But you will not get the quality from traditional B&W printing, only the sepia look.
Using B&W films offer you the option of printing at shops offering traditional B&W printing and developing, about $1-$1.50 for 4R. (Some do offer traditional printing from chromogenic films, but about $0.50 more than if it's from B&W films)

So you can actually consider what you want and buy/develop/print according to your needs :)

If you want to take a look at some B&W prints from traditional printing and from color lab i.e. sepia tone, both from using B&W as well as chromogenic films, you can let me know. I have some prints of the same picture but print at different places. :)

a cheaper (in the long run) and more satisfying method, albeit less inconvenient method. here

then again, its a hobby. who cares about inconvenience? :)

happy shooting!

ps: nothing wrong shooting with an 888... :)

Wha meng!! That covered a lot!! Thanks a man!! Even the costs were covered!! YAY! Haa. Thank you all!! I just got my 2 200 supieria! Heh.. Hope my prints turn out fine.. Is gonna show em if it's easier.. Heh..

Hey, i didn't say shooting with 888 is wrong what.. :D But i might plan to get a more appropriate SLR if my pics turn out fine!! :D

cool :) as long as you are happy with it..altho imho a better lens is most of the time anyway, a better bet than a new body.

:)

Heh Heh.. but a camera like 888, which can't control the aperture, the ISO, cannot choose metering.. Haa.. But i guess it's fine for me as a starter.. :D

Eh, it seems like i overlooked this point: Can normal film be developed into slides? :dunno:

Ruby Photo develops slides at S$ 4 + GST

U get to collect it the next day!

Heh.. I never even seen TCW before.. So cannot blame ar.. =x I'll go take a look one of these days! Or rather, when i wanna develope my film.. :D

Normal film uses the C41 process, slides uses E6 process.
There are some shops who do cross processing, i.e. processing C41 films with E6 chemicals and E6 films with C41 chemicals.

Ya, Ruby develops slides at $4.20 I think or $5. (former one sent to Spectra and latter one sent to Fuji)

For RGB, you can collect it on the same day within 3-5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.