I'm displaying my ignorance here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

May 25, 2004
I am using an SLR (still in the dark ages) and have been thinking about getting a digital SLR. Can anyone tell me how much the 20D is going for brand new (or second hand). How does it compare with the D70, apart from the fact that the 20D has 8.2 meg pixels and the D70 6.1?

metal body vs plastic body
5fps vs 3fps
weather proof vs idiot proof <-- well.. both are rather idiot proof :bsmilie: )
heavy vs light
$2900++ vs $1700++
1.6 crop vs 1.5 crop
canon vs nikon :D

i know some ppl would probably :hammer: me but I'd say go for canon ;p

yanyewkay said:
i know some ppl would probably :hammer: me but I'd say go for canon ;p

yyk :kok: hahaha!!! weren't you getting a D70 from ESPN?

wouldn't a more reasonable comparison be the 350D and the D70 or the 20D to the D100? but even then, the 20D and the 350D are recently launched models.

Why do you think film is dark ages? Does it mean you think it is not good?.....if you don't really need the advantages of digital, why go for it? Don't do it just for the sake of being in 'tune' with what everyone does.....

HS

Hongsien, when I said dark ages, it was really a play of words too - dark ages "dark" room, :bsmilie:
But no, I am really in the dark ages, I have not moved to DSLR at all, apart from just holding a friend's D70, I have never used one. Have no idea what photoshop can do. In other words, I haven't updated myself with the recent technology.

I don't think that film is not good, it is excellent, especially slides. I believe that DSLRs have not caught up with film cameras yet but taking with film cameras getting very expensive lah.

Cactus Jack, thanks for the suggestion, I have not even heard of the 350D. I also prefer a Canon because all my lenses are Canon so I don't have to buy new lenses!

Ortega, thanks for the excellent article! It will help me with my decision. Cheers!

Grub said:
Ortega, thanks for the excellent article! It will help me with my decision. Cheers!

don't base your decision on just one article, do a search for more articles and ask for end user reviews, both are excellent cameras, it is just how you prefer to use it.

Good luck :thumbsup:

but if u really have good canon lens and dun feel like parting with them...
u might wanna stick to a canon body though.
save ur $$ on the lenses~

Grub said:
Cactus Jack, thanks for the suggestion, I have not even heard of the 350D. I also prefer a Canon because all my lenses are Canon so I don't have to buy new lenses!
if you have heavy investmemts in canon, sound economic decision to not change camps. i which case, you can consider any of the following

D30, D60, 10D, 20D
300D, 350D

piggy bank permitting, i would recommend focusing on the 10D or the 20D (more recent launches and slightly higher consumer models... note that i have ommitted the D1 series from the list :bsmilie: )

Grub said:

Since you have Canon lenses, it makes more sense to stick with Canon. If you're not sure whether to get the 20D or 350D, I suggest you try to get your hands on both to get a feel of it first. The price difference is quite a lot (about $800 - $1000, if I'm not wrong. Also, try to find out more about each to learn about their similarities and differences.

Cactus jACK said:
yyk :kok: hahaha!!! weren't you getting a D70 from ESPN?

wouldn't a more reasonable comparison be the 350D and the D70 or the 20D to the D100? but even then, the 20D and the 350D are recently launched models.
i already got it from him.. :bsmilie: still new to the nikon world.. have been using canon all these while

Status
Not open for further replies.