I'm coming to Singapore what good spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayjaibow

Oct 16, 2008
Hello all. I'm from the U.S. but going to be visiting Malaysia (5days) and Singapore (2days) in December. So far by hanging out here I know about the Singapore Flyer. Any other suggestions on good or unique spots for photography? Thanks!

Sentosa,
Chinatown,
Little India,

well, wat kind of pics are u after?

sorry just being very general but I've never been to Singapore.. just wondering if there are any thing you locals know of that might be missed in the usual tour books/guides.. any advice on places to eat or any unique foods to try would be nice too..hehe

sorry just being very general but I've never been to Singapore.. just wondering if there are any thing you locals know of that might be missed in the usual tour books/guides.. any advice on places to eat or any unique foods to try would be nice too..hehe

Hard for us to give an idea if it's too vague. As for food, anything in Singapore can be fabulous if you're game enough.

Chinatown and Little India are 2 amazing spots with lots to see and lotsa food as well.. :)

cool thanks.. for photography for starters how about some good vantage points to get the whole cityscape at night? For food would you say Chinese food is better in Chinatown or outside of Chinatown? Any don't miss restaurants? How's the cleanliness of the streetfood? Would you say street food is safe to avoid upset stomach for a foreigner or restaurants better? Any things to avoid? I'm Chinese American btw.. speak Canto and understand a little mandarin. Do the Chinese in Singapore speak english to each other or Chinese?

You ain't got much time in Sg

- Singapore marathon is the first weekend in Dec
- Chirstmas decor along orchard road are pretty excellent usually

cool thanks.. for photography for starters how about some good vantage points to get the whole cityscape at night? For food would you say Chinese food is better in Chinatown or outside of Chinatown? Any don't miss restaurants? How's the cleanliness of the streetfood? Would you say street food is safe to avoid upset stomach for a foreigner or restaurants better? Any things to avoid? I'm Chinese American btw.. speak Canto and understand a little mandarin. Do the Chinese in Singapore speak english to each other or Chinese?

Cityscape eh.... try it from the Esplanade.

Chinese food is good in the hawker centres, there's loads of good restaurants too. They're all pretty safe in SG and you can order in english, we're largely bilingual anyway. ;)

At night can try Geylang for good local food, but please don't shoot there.

Orchard --> esplanade --> Merlion --> Clarke Boat --> Chinatown more or less covers it.

Last edited:

Erm.... when it comes to food in Singapore, good Chinese food can be found almost everywhere. :bsmilie: Depends on what type of chinese food u are looking for. For Cantonese seafood, i like Palm Beach Rest. at OneFullerton. Hope the restautant is still there, have not been there for quite a while.

Commonly spoken lauguage is English. Your Cantonese will probably come in handy when dealing with older folks in the hawker centers when ordering food.

If you are a Caucasian, go to Orchard Towers instead. You will love it there!

Er... no photography though.

Last edited:
Macdonalds

Can play CLUBSNAP there :D

Walao... He is from America leh. McDonald's there is like ERP gantry here; they are in abundance.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions thus far. I realize that I don't have much time in Singapore so your recs as locals are greatly appreciated! I noticed you guys say don't shoot in some area's like Geylang and Orchard Tower. Any reason why? Why should I go to Orchard Tower if I'm Caucasian? I'm Chinese ABC btw.. Is Orchard Tower the white people hangout like Lan Gwai Fong of Hong kong?

Oh and no I don't think I want to go to McDonalds... That is unless you guys have some real unique McDonalds over there? I know the menu's are different as ours in the U.S. heheh

I noticed you guys say don't shoot in some area's like Geylang and Orchard Tower.

It is for your own good. Wait you kenna whack don't say we never warn you har.

Why should I go to Orchard Tower if I'm Caucasian?

Orchard Towers is where 'kwai loh' have a good time and escape from Singapore's tropical heat and humidity.

Oh and no I don't think I want to go to McDonalds...

Good idea.

Anyway, McDonald's here has wasabi fillet-o-fish burger on promotion now. It claims to give 'a karai sensation!'

Last edited:
How come nobody suggest him to go shoot around Kampong Glam area har?

In my opinion, Kampong Glam is 10 times better than Chinatown (very commercialized and CARROT HEAD CHOPPING area), and 5 times better than Little India (crowded like Mumbai). It is a less crowded, more serene and colorful part of our little red dot.

Walk until sian liao can buy a gasing (Malay top) to play, smoke waterpipe (hookah) and drink teh halia (ginger infused Ceylon tea). Hungry liao can makan at Zam Zam. Got the best murtabak (fried dough crepes with minced meat and curry dip) and nasi briyani (yellow pillau rice with nuts, spices and eaten with curried chicken or mutton) there.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm Mandy and welcome to the forum.

If you check out the flickr meet up group there might be an outing that would be fun (the photography community is friendly and welcoming) http://www.flickr.com/groups/sg_meetup/.

This forum has lots of 'stickies' which highlight the best spots to shoot, so take a while to browse http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169320

In just 2 days I think you can easily get lost and take lots of photos where ever you are. All food is brilliant in Sg - you won't go wrong where ever you eat. East Coast is good for sea food, Gaylang is good for late night munchies and entertainment, China Town has lots of hawkers as does Little India.

Enjoy your stay

Last edited:
More great info. The Geylang looks like the good stuff for food. Still not sure why you can't take pictures there? Will they beat me up for snapping pics? How's the crime levels like? Any area's to avoid?

The Kampong Glam area sounds very nice. Just what i wanted to hear about.. not too tourist trap thanks! I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.