I'm a newbie.. Which flash should I buy for my D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeeKon

Dec 24, 2008
I have just picked up photography and just bought a D80 with 18-135mm kit lens. Would like to ask what flash is suitable for me??... I am more centered to take photos of my family and concrete jungle..

hi welcome to CS , suggest SB600 is good enough for ur D80 unless you have more budget also can go for SB800 ;) Just a suggestion still up to your choose:think:

Just wonder.. As compared to Nikon Speed light.. Is it worthwhile to purchase a 3rd party flash??

It is much better to stick with Nikon speedlights, if u are looking at a budget can try the BnS section and get a 2nd hand SB-600 for ard 200+ too :)

Thanks for all the advice..

You should buy the flash that you can afford.

I have just picked up photography and just bought a D80 with 18-135mm kit lens. Would like to ask what flash is suitable for me??... I am more centered to take photos of my family and concrete jungle..

The SB-600 is more than enough for your needs... but if you dun mind a better one and willing to spend more, go for the 800 or 900

Sounds like you guys are trying to infect the TS with the BBB typo-borne virus: Especially the post up here^^^^^^^^^Lol! Merry Christmas!:devil:

Thanks for all the advice... and a Happy New Year

I am using a D80 with the SB800 and the flash is very sophisticated. Maybe you should start with a second hand SB600, learn to use it first and then upgrade later.

However, I believe the flash head of the SB600 cannot swivel sideways and this in certain circumstances may be useful.

You may find the write up on the SB600 below helpful in making a decision.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm

I am using a D80 with the SB800 and the flash is very sophisticated. Maybe you should start with a second hand SB600, learn to use it first and then upgrade later.

However, I believe the flash head of the SB600 cannot swivel sideways and this in certain circumstances may be useful.

SB-600 can siwel sideways. But it can't point downwards at -7 degrees for macro shooting. And the guide number is slightly lower.

it can swivel like how the SB-800 does.

it just cant tilt downwards, and the throw distance is not as far as that of the SB-800.

if you are not going to be covering events, and just normal coverage, Sb-600 will do...

Thanks.. the website's useful...

Thanks.. the website's useful...

Read with a BIG pinch of salt... tat fella has a warped sense of humour or way or writing...

Read with a BIG pinch of salt... tat fella has a warped sense of humour or way or writing...

Ya.. I know... In any case, thanks for your advice..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.