I'm a new user getting a camera, which should i get?

xXAspireXx

Sep 4, 2010
Hi I a newbie to taking photos, should i geta samsung NX10 or nikkon d5000 or eos 500d or sony a550

You're going to get a lot of flak. Duck now !

I have a Canon 550D which I really love and enjoy using. Do some Googling for reviews on the models you're interested in.

Hi I a newbie to taking photos, should i geta samsung NX10 or nikkon d5000 or eos 500d or sony a550

This depends on type of pictures you like to take, your patience and your budget

Please .. put some efforts and brainwork into your question and read through the existing threads in newbies corner. Your question pops up nearly every day .. and the advices are quite consistent. But since you haven't even thought about budget .. :dunno:

Get the Canon 500D !! is a very gd DSLR cos i am using it now and it my first DSLR camera also ^^ nv regret it since i brought last DEC ahaah

But if you got extra Cash u can purchase the Canon 550D.As the specs Compare to the 500D is better.

Last edited:
I think for your budget 500d would be what most pple recommend. Some say entry lvl some say mod entry lvl, but I think it's fully alright for a newbie to start with the 500d. Not heavy at all, functions are there for basics, ya. Good choice.

Have you even tried holding ANY of them in your hands? No? Do that first.

i think you should follow Rashkae's advice...

go to a shop and lay ur hands on each one of them... then you will feel the power surging thru ur veins.. kidding..

but you will know what u like/dislike..

Ah unfortunately there's no heavenly sword ( yi tian jian) or dragon sabre (du long dao) equivalents in dslr.

Normally pple will just recommend you what camera they are using Only. Comex is here you shod go feel the cams heh :)

But comex only show abt 3 of their dslr bodies if I'm not wrong... The rest are all compacts!

let your feeling decide what you want . . . you are the one who holds the camera . . . not us. :)

anyway welcome to CS . . . :)

But comex only show abt 3 of their dslr bodies if I'm not wrong... The rest are all compacts!
Another reason not to go there, unless your dream model (cam, girl, whatever) is there :)

Sony alone has about 4 or 5 there. I'm sure Canon and Nikon too.

Of course, the smart people take a nice relaxed stroll through Funan and test the cameras there.

Sony A550 is certainly the better camera from the ones you listed.

NX10 is a nice EVF camera, try it 1st to see if you like EVF cameras before deciding.

500D is older and not as good compared to A550 as some functions and performance parameters have become better in the newer cameras (eg. HDR function; high ISO). The comparable model would be the 550D.

ok, basically what do you want to use ur camera for???

this is one of the most important qn to ask...

the second most important is how much are you willing to spend???
not only now but also in the future....

specs wise, the Sony A550 is the better one, but it does not have video. So if having video is one of your concern, then u can immediately strike off the A550 and look at the other DSLRS. However if u don mind not having video, well u can go down to any sony style shops and play around with the A550 then decide for yourself. Its also the cheapest, at $799 (Sony usually sell their DSLRs cheaper to attract new users, compared to Canon and Nikon).

Last edited:
just go for the 5DMKII.

Go straight for 1D Mk IV/D3s, get the best and you won't regret it.

Go straight for 1D Mk IV/D3s, get the best and you won't regret it.
+

EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM
EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM

you pretty much cover the entire range which you will ever need. :)