I'll not use any Non L Lenses...

dliem

Oct 26, 2009
I'm sorry if the title is a bit provocative, but this is my story;
Yesterday I accompany my wife to meet her best friend who stay in overseas. We have dinner, me and my wife, her best friend (a female) and her brother. After eat finish, my wife ask me to use my camera to take pics of she and her best-friend (and 'her' brother). I'm using my 40D, a 50mm f1.4, and flash. After 2-3 takes, suddenly this brother says, "Actually I'll not using anything than L lenses. My iPhone can takes picture better than your lens." I'm a bit surprised, but decided to challenge him "Really? Than maybe we do with your iPhone?" (I'm not 'yet' an iPhone user). To my more surprise, he indeed replace me to take pictures using his iPhone. And he done this without any change in his face, as this is normal thing, or he doing the right thing. We take several pics, and ask the waiter to takes for us.
And then after we sit down, he asks me mine or my wife email adress to send the picture. I'm still in confuse, and asks what camera he using. He said he is long time using Canon, and only use the L lens to takes picture. "Moment is very important, and cannot repeating. Be prepared by only using the best lens, than you ruin the moment itself by using just standard lens." he lectured me. At the end, before we say good bye, he again promised to email us the pics on his iPhone, and tell me "Sorry I left my camera at home, if I know we will need it tonight, I'll bring it. But I think iPhone also in good use tonight"
Man, I'm still in surprise. And so surprised until I forgot he just need to transfer the pics via bluetooth to my Nokia phone :eek::eek::eek:

cool story bro.

anyway, these people do exist, you just need to regard them with a pinch of salt.

relax! some people don't know their gear well think L lens is everything. haha.. the iphone cannot do bluetooth transfer to other phones la if I am not wrong (though it has bluetooth, the bluetooth has very limited functionality)...

Why didn't you 2 compare pics on the spot to see which is better?

And P/S: iPhone bluetooth doesn't allow file transfer to other brand of phones.

L lens can outshine kit lens if the photographer has the skills to maximise the potential of the L lens. But if no skills then don't have to compare anything.

So to me it's not about whether having L lens is definitely better, but more of the skills of the owner.

Don't forget that there are 3rd party lens that can rival the L lens too..EFS 17-55 is also a strong rival to L lens.

My take: post the pictures he take then compare to yours.

There are more pro photographers here who will not put a strong statement as "standard lenses will ruin your pictures", so it's also about being humble even if one is a professional. So just ignore him and continue with your own gear/style.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:
sounds like some guy who just wants to show off.
any dslr with any lens is WAY better than an iphone :bsmilie:

maybe if the iphone pictues turn out bad, he might push the blame on the waiter :think:

Last edited:
This guy is spouting nonsense.

A sharp knife is always better than a blunt knife.

"Moment is very important, and cannot repeating. Be prepared by only using the best lens, than you ruin the moment itself by using just standard lens."

You should have replied "
iPhone 4 has bad reception. Some calls are very important, and cannot be repeated..
Be prepared by only using phones other than iPhone, than you ruined the conversation by
using standard iPhone...
" :sticktong

Last edited:
Huh.... Then those film users before the introduction of L lenses shoot with what? Omg... the photos they had must be really bad to be classified as some of the greatest moments.. :(

Yesterday I accompany my wife to meet her best friend who stay in overseas. We have dinner, me and my wife, her best friend (a female) and her brother. After eat finish, my wife ask me to use my camera to take pics of she and her best-friend (and 'her' brother). I'm using my 40D, a 50mm f1.4, and flash. After 2-3 takes, suddenly this brother says, "Actually I'll not using anything than L lenses. My iPhone can takes picture better than your lens." I'm a bit surprised, but decided to challenge him "Really? Than maybe we do with your iPhone?" (I'm not 'yet' an iPhone user). To my more surprise, he indeed replace me to take pictures using his iPhone. And he done this without any change in his face, as this is normal thing, or he doing the right thing. We take several pics, and ask the waiter to takes for us.
And then after we sit down, he asks me mine or my wife email adress to send the picture. I'm still in confuse, and asks what camera he using. He said he is long time using Canon, and only use the L lens to takes picture. "Moment is very important, and cannot repeating. Be prepared by only using the best lens, than you ruin the moment itself by using just standard lens." he lectured me. At the end, before we say good bye, he again promised to email us the pics on his iPhone, and tell me "Sorry I left my camera at home, if I know we will need it tonight, I'll bring it. But I think iPhone also in good use tonight"
Man, I'm still in surprise. And so surprised until I forgot he just need to transfer the pics via bluetooth to my Nokia phone :eek::eek::eek:

Just tell him in the face:

"Here, we seek for proof or evidence. Nothing to show? No picture No talk."

Man, he is like telling the whole world "With Mont Blanc pen and nothing else, I can score full marks for my Pri Math test. Anything else, its a waste of the teachers' effort of setting the paper"

And how can a true blue photographer don't know WHEN to bring the DSLR?!!?!? Isnt he "ruining the moment" for not bringing the DSLR?

Last edited:
Before comparing the quality of the shots, please check whether he really owns a SLR camera. One who used a DSLR camera or seen a picture shot by a DSLR camera would not have commented like this......

Don't bother about snobs, let him live in his own world. ;p

wager his photos aren't anything to shout about. :bsmilie:

Taiwanese company called Largan Precision currently manufactures the 5-megapixel camera for iPhone 4.
2.85 mm f/2.8.
Nothing great. Way below the standard of Zeiss lenses in some Nokia models.

L Lens - good to have.

For photos in normal light, fixed 50mm F1.4 lens is not worse than 50mm L.
May be better than a zoom-L.

He obviously never heard of Leica, Zeiss, Schneider and Rodenstock. Just a frog in a well.

Last edited:
EF-S 10-22mm is as good as any L lens with 3 ASPH and 1 UD with good reviews.

Ignore him... it is pointless to lower yourself to argue with an idiot, because he will win you with experience :p.