Ilford Xp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAIN_MAN

Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
exposed my 1st roll of ILFORD XP2 over the weekend..so where can i send it to for developing?will a normal kodak express lab do a good job? pls suggest...

thx

RAIN_MAN said:
exposed my 1st roll of ILFORD XP2 over the weekend..so where can i send it to for developing?will a normal kodak express lab do a good job? pls suggest...

thx

quality of prints really differs from lab to lab even if they are under the same banner (eg kodak, fuji, konica).

most labs would return u with sepia-toned photos. you may want to tell them to make it as close to B&W as possible. But that depends on whether they want to do it or not, and also if they know how to? Some labs may feed in B&W paper instead so the colours would turn out monochrome. They might charge you extra for this.

Hi,
For special films like Ilford XP2, I usually go to Ruby and ask them process for me.

Somehow for special films, I really don't trust those neighborhood developing stalls.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

xp2 is not really special.... its c41 process like all other color films. ruby does not do it at their shop. they send it out. so not much different.

XP2 is C41 process, any normal lab can do it, just that the colour might vary.

RAIN_MAN said:

thx

developing it is simple and all shops kinda do it the same way... this is c-41 process like normal color films and is done automatically in the tanks. however how the chemicals are kept, temperature duration may vary, leading to very slight variation of output... no big deal really.

printing the developed film is another story. just go to the one that you have always trusted.

RAIN_MAN said:

thx

Yup. Just go to any lab and tell them that you want it developed. You can ask them to print in B&W or in Sepia.

showtime said:
xp2 is not really special.... its c41 process like all other color films. ruby does not do it at their shop. they send it out. so not much different.
Hey,
I didn't know Ilford XP2 uses C41 process. I thought you have to manually process them in the darkroom. I prefer to shoot color slides. :)

So XP2 gives the same results as the Kodak 400CN BW film, isn't it? But I don't like the tones of that. There is no contrast at all.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,

Most of the photolab at Peninsular Plaza print B&W on colour paper acceptably well. Don't bother to take the risk at most neighbourhood photolabs, nearly all I tried really sucked so far, except for Grace at Sunset way, which is cheap and really not bad at all.

XP2 does not have as much contrast as real b&w film, but it has huge exposure latitude and great detail. Can use it for different purposes, nice for creamy smooth portraits. Contrast actually depends on the printing photolab too...

RAIN_MAN said:

thx

so far Konota have given me very good result for this b&w print-out on colour paper.....40 cents for matt 4R. :)

mich_2103 said:
Hey,
I didn't know Ilford XP2 uses C41 process. I thought you have to manually process them in the darkroom. I prefer to shoot color slides. :)

So XP2 gives the same results as the Kodak 400CN BW film, isn't it? But I don't like the tones of that. There is no contrast at all.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,

prefer the kodak one. more contrast and if i must use c-41 b&w film, i would choose kodak. dont like xp2

i find xp2 to be more grainy than tcn400

i'd rather my lab just develops it in c-41 and just scan into CD....and leave the rest to me in Photoshop so that I can adjust burn dodge etc etc to my satisfaction......and bring a copy of it back to the shop to print or print myself

in this respect i guess Kodak gets the edge because they can scan it in high res tif

THX Folks!I had juz send it to my usual AMK Colour centre at HDB Centre,hope it would fail me!..but kind of ex leh..they charge me 70c per 4R..

sigh....nvm lah..wait for the result..collecting tomoro..
will update u guys...

thx once again...

ed9119 said:
in this respect i guess Kodak gets the edge because they can scan it in high res tif

You mean to say that other films cannot be sanned in high res tiff?

hi Coke21, its possible to get the Kodak labs that scan do the scanning in tiff format. You'll get a bigger file size than jpeg to work on b4 printing. yes, other films can be scanned in high res tif....just that this thread was referring to xp2.

ed9119 said:
hi Coke21, its possible to get the Kodak labs that scan do the scanning in tiff format. You'll get a bigger file size than jpeg to work on b4 printing. yes, other films can be scanned in high res tif....just that this thread was referring to xp2.

I know... but it seem that in your thread you were saying that "kodak gets the edge" because it can be scanned in high res.

Any film negative or slide can be scanned at high res. So where is the "edge"?

Status
Not open for further replies.