iguana

Status
Not open for further replies.

varf

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
24053057_f0e7416214.jpg

(view original-sized image)

this was more or less a grab shot from the Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium. texture and lighting were the main reasons why i took this shot. douzo yoroshiku! :sweat:

I'd crop it... theres 2 objects here, 1 lizard, 1 branch. the branch leads to the lizard but since the branch is larger, the lizard has less of a presence in the pic...

Yeah just a slight crop off the top but other than that the detail is excellent. OTOH if this was a 10r print, i'd probably say just leave it as it is esp. if the overhang is more prominent.

:thumbsup: : The branch leads the eye to the lizard. The eye-contact from the lizard.

:thumbsd: : The dark space at the top is unnecessary. Some details near the lizard head are not captured. The branch is competing for attention as it is of the same colour as the lizard and is quite large.

i'll say a wider framing. the pose of the subject is almost suggestive of 'returning into the dark' so introducing more dark space around the subject will increase the mysterious mood which i am enjoying from this picture.

may i ask if you include the black space @ the top so as to maintain the iguana at the rule of 3rd position?

denniskee said:
may i ask if you include the black space @ the top so as to maintain the iguana at the rule of 3rd position?
I think it is not so much of rule of thirds... i think it is prob because otherwise the light fall-off on the top part of the iguana may not be appropriately explained.. some head space is good also.

thanks for the comments guys, please keep it coming :)

on cropping: i did consider that but couldn't come up with an effective crop that would still maintain the 2:3 ratio (for printing), would appreciate some suggestions.

denniskee: yes, i did position the iguana using the rule of thirds, leaving quite a bit of headroom.

nemesis32: i honestly hadn't considered the light fall-off explanation, but after looking at the shot again, it does make sense to me. somehow i just didn't feel right cropping the top off, as if i'd upset the balance by doing so.

please feel free to modify/crop!

My 2cents. To tell you the truth, I do like the picture as it is. The dark empty space above does give me a feeling by itself. Though the rule of third does apply to many composition, it does not have to apply in all photos. I think a tighter shot may seems too focus on the subject but as it is, it gives me the overall ambience feeling of its environment. The lighting, texture of the branch and position of the iguana gives a very strong aethestic feeling to it.

I will crop off the bottom until just before the tail, the left and right a bit. top, maybe just a bit..

Status
Not open for further replies.