If...

Would you help your company source for cheap/FOC photographer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Your company asked you to advertise in CS or somewhere for a cheap/FOC photographer for a DnD/company celebration/Family Day.

You know the location where the event held isn't cheap and yet they say can only spare <= $100 for a photographer, which you know is exploiting.

Would you still do it?

Knowing that if you can save them the cost, next time your boss will be pleased with you. :)

Post it as: My superior asked me to post a message asking if there is any suckers who want to test their kamera on our D&D for peanuts, er maybe not peanut but an angbao with no gurantee of whether there is money inside.

My superior name is Durian, please call 1900 PEANUTS!

Hommie said:
Post it as: My superior asked me to post a message asking if there is any suckers who want to test their kamera on our D&D for peanuts, er maybe not peanut but an angbao with no gurantee of whether there is money inside.

My superior name is Durian, please call 1900 PEANUTS!
just called 1900 7326887, your boss durai said that he wanted a photographer who can dance as well... hopefully with kidney failure & can cry on screen with his 1Ds Mark II...

Wow, very deep question, this is Moral vs Rice Bowl.
I would suggest you advertise, then out of your own pocket, pay the photog an extra $1k for the fee, then you have your own integrity, and also look good to your boss.

espn said:
Your company asked you to advertise in CS or somewhere for a cheap/FOC photographer for a DnD/company celebration/Family Day.

You know the location where the event held isn't cheap and yet they say can only spare <= $100 for a photographer, which you know is exploiting.

Would you still do it?

Knowing that if you can save them the cost, next time your boss will be pleased with you. :)

Predicament, espn?

Post it with your second, third, forth or fifth nicks lor,... your rice bowl more important isn't it? If company offer 1k, than you makan lor. :bsmilie:

The moral of the story is not to let your boss knows you are a photographer, have access to photographers, belong to a photography bulletin board (hmm ... must stop surfing CS from work ...) then you may be safe.

My view ... don't make the decision yourself. Come up with 2 or 3 scenarios, with pros/cons ... present them to your boss, with your recommended course of action. Then let him make the decision. You will not be seen as indecisive because you are in actual fact recommending a course of action that produces the desired outcome (quality images or low cost), but at the end of the day, it's not your decision to make.

If your boss insists that you make the decision (and presumably take the fall if things go wonky later), then you do what you feel is the right course of action, and if there are any future "consequences" with your immediate boss, highlight it to upper management with all the information.

And of course, your initial proposal should be done through a written memo or email, leaving an audit trail :D ...

Only you can tell which is the desired outcome ... quality or cost. Take care of one, and hope for the other.

Your value to this exercise is being a knowledgeable consultant, not as the lackey. If they were to get this advice from an external party, it would cost them.

give your boss $200 and ask him to find a photographer

No, I will volunteer. No lah. Just kidding.

I will tell my boss the fact, no cheap and good photographers in this world.

CLQ said:
give your boss $200 and ask him to find a photographer

Tell the boss to gimme the $200 and I'll be the photographer! :bsmilie: Then if it turns out unsatisfactory then...too bad...you get what you pay for...haha...

There may be some newbie whom is interested and may take up the job for experience. But I’ll highlight to the photographer that he/she will be getting peanut pay for the assignment and if he decides to take up the job, so be it. After the event, should the photo quality be below your boss expectation, well, he made a decision to pay peanut, so now he gets monkey.

Perhaps for the next D&D, your boss may consider to increase the budget for a better photographer.

do what most free photogs do.. dun turn up for the event.
no money, no obligation.

the saying goes, "buy peanuts, get monkeys" cheap got cheap method of doing things, use disposable cameras.... :bsmilie:
yanyewkay said:
do what most free photogs do.. dun turn up for the event.
no money, no obligation.

I would think it is NOT the boss's fault. Probably he has agreed with a much higher pay (say 400?). And the one who incharge to search for a photog took 300 bucks and let that 100 bucks go to the photog, or worse...he took everything and just ask for FOC photo.

Just don't understand why there're still people who like to take up the job/"experience"....haai

espn said:

Would you still do it?

I would tell the company that the cheapest photographer answered the ad wanted $2,500 for the event and I would do it for $1,999.99. :sweatsm:

I said yes once and ever since that time I've been asked to be the official D&D photographer. This include family day, team building and everything else. Well last year I told them I've given up photography. No camera to shoot.

maybe I should not be so calculative. If I help my company, it saves money, help save costs, company earn more, maybe more bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.