If your computer slows down significantly, how to check what is the culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
If your computer's performance slows down significantly (and this is after newly reformatted), how can I check which is the program that is causing this?
Or is there any software that can help me check?? :dunno:

Format again!
I usually alt control delete into task manager and look at the processes and see which one is taking up a lot of CPU and memory, then I kill it!

Its show a clear answer !!!! Time to change a new one !!! .. hahaha ..

Agreed with what Adamadam's post : go to task manager and take a look at which process is chocking up the memory and process.
terminates that process. If you want to completely remove it from start up, check the startup folder for any program that was loaded there.

Or next level stage is : click on "start" then go "run" and enter "msconfig"
go to the startup manual and untick those program that u dont want. reboot system and see if it works.

PS: this one you have to be careful. Do not disable those program windows required.

Agreed with what Adamadam's post : go to task manager and take a look at which process is chocking up the memory and process.
terminates that process.

It is firefox mozilla! Taking up 50% of the CPU... but this is the one program that I can't terminate cos I am using it!!! And it is also the program that is running slowly... lagging and freezing here and there.
What is the problem with this mozilla? I am using the latest version. The earlier versions gave me no such problems... wonder why the new versions suck now.
Anyone else having problems with the new mozilla? How much CPU does your mozilla take up?
:angry:

It is firefox mozilla! Taking up 50% of the CPU... but this is the one program that I can't terminate cos I am using it!!! And it is also the program that is running slowly... lagging and freezing here and there.
What is the problem with this mozilla? I am using the latest version. The earlier versions gave me no such problems... wonder why the new versions suck now.
Anyone else having problems with the new mozilla? How much CPU does your mozilla take up?
:angry:

if u r using Apple, use Activity Monitor to see who's the culprit. Usually it's Firefox, as we opened many tabs. currently, using the version2, it's also like memory hugging.

For window, many window services are running in the background. IF u are experience, maybe can try to turn them off

check your registry

check your registry

Not for the faint hearted..........this is where everything will screw up if you are not a power user.

Registry is not something we want to screw around if you are not experience in deciding which to delete or disabled it.

archive or delete the from temp folders, remove or archive the junk files like video, downloads, songs, jokes, etc. run a check disk and do a defrag. it will boost your computer speed by at least 10%.

GV is right. registry is not for you to mess with. Also, do not delete files from folder that you do not know what they are.

disable norton programs. it offers the worst pc companion as it takes up too much cpu overhead.

ensure there is up to 30% hard disk space left. Also, clean the computer air intake vents. if you can, open it up and do a clean up. with excessive heat built up, your computer can run slower by up to 90%.

archive or delete the from temp folders, remove or archive the junk files like video, downloads, songs, jokes, etc. run a check disk and do a defrag. it will boost your computer speed by at least 10%.

GV is right. registry is not for you to mess with. Also, do not delete files from folder that you do not know what they are.

disable norton programs. it offers the worst pc companion as it takes up too much cpu overhead.

ensure there is up to 30% hard disk space left. Also, clean the computer air intake vents. if you can, open it up and do a clean up. with excessive heat built up, your computer can run slower by up to 90%.

Haha......you mean GI......keke:bsmilie:

dude.. an easy way out to do run ccleaner. It works. ;)

I have done Ccleaner...
I have stopped using Norton for a few years now after it sucks... I now use Kaspersky and love it!
My hdd is very very little defragmented as it is very recently reformatted.

The only thing taking up a lot of CPU is this freaking mozilla firefox!!!
In fact, I'm not so sure if my com is running slowly or just this firefox... it freezes every few seconds, e.g. as I am typing this, as I am scrolling...
I highly suspect it is just this firefox that is being problematic...

Does anyone else have problems with the new version of firefox?
I am contemplating uinstalling this and installing an older version.
Which version is the best?

FF takes up so much space meh? :think:

I have tons of stuff loaded on my PC including FF and I still have about half the disc empty (till I fil it up with RAW images again! :bsmilie:)

Personally is using the 1.5.0.12

and even this older version takes up quite a bit also. Note the sites you surf can also hog up resources, esp if they use multimedia, etc...

If your computer's performance slows down significantly (and this is after newly reformatted), how can I check which is the program that is causing this?
Or is there any software that can help me check?? :dunno:

U can run spybot and Kaspersky (original version)

FF takes up so much space meh? :think:

I have tons of stuff loaded on my PC including FF and I still have about half the disc empty (till I fil it up with RAW images again! :bsmilie:)

No bro, not talking about disk space here...
talking about the processing power of the CPU... this is what affects performance of the com like speed, etc.

U can run spybot and Kaspersky (original version)

Kaspersky is running as long as the com is on!
Don't think spyware is a major issue since i run Kaspersky, CCleaner + com is newly reformatted.

talking about the processing power of the CPU... this is what affects performance of the com like speed, etc.

Kaspersky is running as long as the com is on!
Don't think spyware is a major issue since i run Kaspersky, CCleaner + com is newly reformatted.

If no virus or spywares or trojan, then possible is OS might be damaged or hard disk hardware might be faulty. possible or even memory chips.

if u are running laptop, u can ask for tech support.....i use a DELL Laptop with onsite servicing.

If u running a pc, u can contact ur vendor to help u check...last time i got a new pc and well the graphics card blew up on my face on 2nd day lol....i played game overnite and well....the card blew up...

Last edited:
being using FF on both windows XP pro, vista and apple platform for a long time lao. Does not see any issue with CPU problem. Like me last comment. maybe you can ask any of ur frz who was an expert in these to take a look. Maybe i suggest you run under save mode first to see if its also that bad. Slowness. Then 1 by 1 isolated the issue. From the looks of it, did you try IE7 ? same issue?

talking about the processing power of the CPU... this is what affects performance of the com like speed, etc

Ahh ... righto ... thanks! ;)

dude.. then maybe its time to BBB a new PC!! <1K will get you a pretty decent PC (E8500 CPU, T45 Mobo, 512Mb HD4850 Graphics Card, 500 Mb Sata HD, fan, power, dvd drive and casing)

or upgrade your current one.. type dxdiag in command line to see your hardware config and see if you can upgrade the CPU and RAM. Though I doubt its worth the upgrade if your PC is too old as they CPU and RAM tends to be priced higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.