If you were to open your own Make-Over studio....

Status
Not open for further replies.

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Hi guys and gals,

Like to seek some advice on the topic above.
If you were to start your own make-over business, where would you do it?
Would you choose a retail location in town area or some ulu ulu place to save on rental?
Bearing in mind the nature of the business of course.

Thanks

de_stan said:
Hi guys and gals,

Would you choose a retail location in town area or some ulu ulu place to save on rental?

Thanks

as my prof once told the class... "location, location, location"...

de_stan said:
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks

You also must have good people relationship -> providing projects, manpower & $$$$ -> equipment.

Yes, I agree, First is location, second is marketing, third demonstrate your true products and or skill (in photography)

Good business -> over $3K if not less than $2K.

nightwolf75 said:
as my prof once told the class... "location, location, location"...

Agreed that location is important but bare in mind that better location also means higher rental cost. A 400 sq ft unit in Parkway Parade can cost near the 5 fig range for rental.

ulu ulu place like mine is for commercial and industrial. thats why i do not have alot of makeover customers. but bear in mind that the rental cost. if u need studio equipment, i can help.

LIM
D STUDIOLAB SINGAPORE

yqt said:
Agreed that location is important but bear in mind that better location also means higher rental cost. A 400 sq ft unit in Parkway Parade can cost near the 5 fig range for rental.

Agree. Selection of location needs to be balanced with marketing approaches. The financial muscle powerhouses will just use brute force to get the best location, they don't even need to be direct competitors - just retail storefronters. Small timers must have deep pockets to recoup the ROI.

yqt said:
Agreed that location is important but bear in mind that better location also means higher rental cost. A 400 sq ft unit in Parkway Parade can cost near the 5 fig range for rental.

true. however, make-over studio i believe is quite dependent on walk-in customers. d_studiolab raised a very good point abt location vs type of photography one is doing. :)

actually, this 'location x3' saying is just a shorthand way of saying dat anyone starting a business has to balance out bet rental/overhead costs vs achieving ur intended income from business. i remembered one time, wisma atria was like the mecca of make-over studios until wisma's renovations. guess rentals went up after dat... nowadays, they are spread all over other locations along orchard road.

d_studiolab said:
ulu ulu place like mine is for commercial and industrial. thats why i do not have alot of makeover customers. but bear in mind that the rental cost. if u need studio equipment, i can help.

LIM
D STUDIOLAB SINGAPORE

Kindly leave me your contact number.
Maybe I can consult you regarding studio equipments.

Right, but I would like to know for such a business, does it really depend more from walk-in customers or via appointments?

de_stan said:
Right, but I would like to know for such a business, does it really depend more from walk-in customers or via appointments?

You will have to depend on walk-in customers if you are in a high
end busy business complex/shopping centre where you will find all your potential customers.

Business via appointments are a part of your strength as your business grows. New comers to this type of business must be prepared to give your customers something different. Have a thought about the saturation now in trend such as "bubble tea". It was good in the 80s and early 90s. It will be more in the marketing dollars to promote your new venture.

------------------------
At the end of the day, it is still quality products and
customer's satisfaction with first class public relation efforts
including effective marketing. ;)

Ultimately it all depends on your capital. If you have a budget that is suffice for 3 mths downpayment for the rent, one month for the agent fee, another perhaps 10 to 30K for renovation, and further 6 mths of operating capital(includes rent, utility, salaries, etc)... you should be able to make it with good marketing and ofcourse good & profitable products.

Calculate the sum and search for the possible location with respect to the rent.

Hope it helps.

BreakThru said:
... you should be able to make it with good marketing and ofcourse good & profitable products.

Calculate the sum and search for the possible location with respect to the rent.

With all the careful calculations, you may start making profits even
in the first or second year. But I doubt you could be making profits
every year after that because the small sector of the market would
have known you already. Is there anymore new clients?

To think of it, I rather venture into new grounds where potentially
the market is 10 to 20 folds larger such as India, China, Thailand or
even Vietnam.

forward said:
With all the careful calculations, you may start making profits even
in the first or second year. But I doubt you could be making profits
every year after that because the small sector of the market would
have known you already. Is there anymore new clients?

To think of it, I rather venture into new grounds where potentially
the market is 10 to 20 folds larger such as India, China, Thailand or
even Vietnam.

Can try Shanghai & Indonesia. They paid you $US.

I'd rather get an ulu location and spend on advertising.
Long term rental isn't worth it.
Just get your name recognised and people'll come to u?

de_stan said:
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks

true to say location plays an important part and not forgetting the outlook of the shop. but then again if your talking bout saving on the rent. if you have good marketing and good relationship with your customers location is not a big problem. more important your business bring in cash rather than losing it.

what happens if you have good location and good equipment but no customers. end up you have to pay the rent out of your own pocket and ending winding up business.:)

this is what i feel. no hard feelings.

festard said:
How about getting a small booth and bring them to shoot outdoors?

festard said:

Having said that do you realise how much it cost to advertise and how long you have to do it before people start to notice you and build up trust? I can tell you that it cost a bomb less you run your own magazine or advertising firm. Or if you have good lobang? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.