If You Were Born In The 80's In Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Have Redline and Diamond Back too. And BMX free-styling was the in thing then.

1980s BMX in Singapore

The potts mod front brake mod as well as the odyssey gyro was invented in this decade. Neon coloured parts and clothes were the rage. It was not called something positive like 'X-games', and the many people considered riders to be delinquents. Ramps were badly constructed from discarded plywood, which the authorities cleared with a passion.

BMX racing died slowly in 1984, when freestyle trick riding was on the rise. Modern flatland and park was born.

Racing:

Kuwahara (Lazerlite)
Skyway TA
Redline (PL20, 600a)
Diamond Back (Turbo)
Mongoose (Supergoose)

Freestyle:

GT/ Dyno (Pro Performer)
Haro (Master, Sport)
Kuwahara (Exhibitionist, Magician)
Torker
Hutch (Trickstar)
General (Hustler Pro)
Redline (Prostyler, RL20II)

Last edited:
For those staying in the east, you'll never forget Katong Shopping centre, it was the hottest hang out until Parkway Parade took over its place.

My school teachers used to visit Katong SC to haul students out of the video game arcade. :thumbsup:

Anyone knows about this Kuwahara BMX which features in E.T.?
kuwahara.jpg

When I was a kid back then, its really make me drooling. Its one of the expensive bikes that time.

This bike 'Kuwahara E.T.' was released in about 1982, and I think local shops and departmental stores carried it in 1983. There were two versions, one with normal parts and another which is more high end (the high end one is in the poster). The normal version had a plastic chain guard, and its price was $400 back then. I know cos I was drooling for the one at Metro, but sadly, no money. $400 is a lot of cash.

There is a Kuwahara Lazerlite and E.T. on display at the Crumpler store in Orchard Paragon. You can go and take a look to relive the old times.

This bike 'Kuwahara E.T.' was released in about 1982, and I think local shops and departmental stores carried it in 1983. There were two versions, one with normal parts and another which is more high end (the high end one is in the poster). The normal version had a plastic chain guard, and its price was $400 back then. I know cos I was drooling for the one at Metro, but sadly, no money. $400 is a lot of cash.

There is a Kuwahara Lazerlite and E.T. on display at the Crumpler store in Orchard Paragon. You can go and take a look to relive the old times.

Ya man $400 those is a big some of money.

That time one loaf of bread cost 60 cts only and one baguette (those fat kind) cost 70cts only. The fat baguette dip into curry chicken shiok sia.

Another phenomena during the 80s era was the Breakdance phenomena.
I remember I watch the movies 3 times. And the gathering spot for those who want to show their skill was at Far East Plaza. Most of the time end up fighting.

Last edited:
Another phenomena during the 80s era was the Breadance phenomena.
I remember I watch the movies 3 times. And the gathering spot for those who want to show their skill was at Far East Plaza. Most of the time end up fighting.

I believe it is call Breakdance :bsmilie: Then there is this movie call Flash dance and the soundtrack "What a feeling" also very popular, sung by Irene Cara.

Those are display pagers. I used the tone pager, which doesn't have any LCD display. Once it beeps, call home. Got to be from mama.

how about this?
i've used this in my sec sch days

yt30152000-img600x450-1237781411513468____0188-3.jpg

and this....the hottest pager at that time
Jazz_Black.gif

That was before and during the farecard time. I believe they are still there now, in another form; for those passengers who paid by cash. The red and white ticketing console can never be locked up because of people who still pay by cash. It just changed form as the different ticketing mechanisms kicked in.

I believe the yellow button you are talking about is to activate the coin slot holder to eat up the coins without issuing a ticket. Normally the coin slot holder will eat up the coin and issue the ticket at the same time; if the driver pushes one of the many buttons on the top panel.
Now that you had refreshed my memory, the ticketing console was in fact locked up in buses plying and servicing the feeder routes (well, at least that is true who those buses that I was in). Rode on the SBS Volvo B10MA-60 articulated bus as well in my secondary school years when it was first introduced to Singapore.

This one is it?
PriEnglish.jpg

Not my copy. Get it from some other site.
That's the one, thanks a lot. :D
Think I was also using an Umbro bag with similar colours, messenger or sling bags was considered old fashion then.

Those are display pagers. I used the tone pager, which doesn't have any LCD display. Once it beeps, call home. Got to be from mama.
Sama Sama, those with a singapore telecom logo and the numerical LCD display on the top accompanied with a red blinking LED light and it goes "Dee... Dee... Dee..." when someone paged. Had to actually queue to use the public payphone just to call someone.

Last edited:
I believe it is call Breakdance :bsmilie: Then there is this movie call Flash dance and the soundtrack "What a feeling" also very popular, sung by Irene Cara.

Flashdance was the movie that started the Breakdance craze. Because in one scene Jennifer Beals was watching some kid dancing on the street doing some popping and moonwalk stuff.

The breakdance movies that came out later were: Breakin' , Beat Street and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. I think so ... 1984 era. At Far East you would get a bunch of your friends together and call yourself 'XYZ Crew' and paint stupid japanese flags on your boom box. :bsmilie:

I wish I had a digital camera back then ... could not afford film : ( lots of memories lost.

Flashdance was the movie that started the Breakdance craze. Because in one scene Jennifer Beals was watching some kid dancing on the street doing some popping and moonwalk stuff.

The breakdance movies that came out later were: Breakin' , Beat Street and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. I think so ... 1984 era. At Far East you would get a bunch of your friends together and call yourself 'XYZ Crew' and paint stupid japanese flags on your boom box. :bsmilie:

I used to that japanese flag so called Kamikaze handkerchif until one day after PE lesson I left it on my desk and the next minute already 'kena kapor'.

those were the days...still remember the craze of having "umbro" bag with colourful shoe lace straps, pencil boxes with double sided compartment features, bringing transformer toys (metal diecast models) to school hiding them in your school bags, having listening comprehension in the ava room with cassettes tape radio, tamiya cars was a very popular activity after school, playgrounds are always stink of pee in the sand, block-catching is unforgetable...brings back lots of fond memories

those were the days...still remember the craze of having "umbro" bag with colourful shoe lace straps, pencil boxes with double sided compartment features, bringing transformer toys (metal diecast models) to school hiding them in your school bags, having listening comprehension in the ava room with cassettes tape radio, tamiya cars was a very popular activity after school, playgrounds are always stink of pee in the sand, block-catching is unforgetable...brings back lots of fond memories
Umbro bags!!! Pallas Jazz shoes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.