If You Were Born In The 80's In Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man, a while back we didn't have permanent internet connection

just dialup, and have to listen to the dialing tone ftw..
The worst was when you only had a single telephone line and somebody picked up the telephone while you are downloading something. Oh, The horror!

Been a Singtel user for over 10 years now, upgraded from 56 kb/s, 256 kb/s, 512 kb/s to the current 10 mb/s plan.

Wisma already built meh! I thought the hot place to hang-out like Plaza Singapura ( used to have Yaohan ), Far East Plaza, Lido, Peninsula and also Queensway Shopping Centre( where I went there for arcade games ).
Always brought my new year cloths and shoes from Beauty World Center and Bukit Timah Shopping Center. Use to get the latest Tamiya racing cars from a shop there also.

The worst was when you only had a single telephone line and somebody picked up the telephone while you are downloading something. Oh, The horror!

Been a Singtel user for over 10 years now, upgraded from 56 kb/s, 256 kb/s, 512 kb/s to the current 10 mb/s plan.

i used singtel magix when it first came out, i only remember getting caned for overusing by way too much :devil: back then, the hourly charges were exorbitant when you exceed the timing cap.. :bsmilie:

i have alternated between pacnet, starhub, etc... so far still find starhub cable the most stable, pacnet was ok.

singtel mio is horrible, i had to chase them for close to a month aggressively to solve intermittant disconnection problems, their universal solution is to send a tech down for line check.. like 20,000 line checks that say LINE IS OK is going to help..

anyways, i remmeber getting disconnected when people try to call in.. :( or parents can check when i using internet by calling home.. then die..

Last edited:
Wisma already built meh! I thought the hot place to hang-out like Plaza Singapura ( used to have Yaohan ), Far East Plaza, Lido, Peninsula and also Queensway Shopping Centre( where I went there for arcade games ).

Ok remember, Its mid 80s.

Tea-Dance was happening during the late 80's. Every Saturday sure havoc. Places like Marina Bay before the Esplanade was built and Orchard Road beside Wisma before Taka was built will be the best spot for organiser to organise a Disco-nite.
And also use to have street party during National Day eve.

That was before and during the farecard time. I believe they are still there now, in another form; for those passengers who paid by cash. The red and white ticketing console can never be locked up because of people who still pay by cash. It just changed form as the different ticketing mechanisms kicked in.

I believe the yellow button you are talking about is to activate the coin slot holder to eat up the coins without issuing a ticket. Normally the coin slot holder will eat up the coin and issue the ticket at the same time; if the driver pushes one of the many buttons on the top panel.

Was that after the transitlink farecard came into use? I was actually referring to the red and white ticketing console having been installed but it was covered and locked with only the yellow button visible at the front. Don't ask me why I remember this. :dunno:

I got another one, which me and friends call them "Traps", joining two stapler bullets together by twisting them together. We normally put them on the seats of the fellow classmates.....guess what will happen. :devil:

wa lau, I was one of those victims

I tried it on my civic moral's teacher, wa lau, didnt go down well with the discipline master & principle when they found out it was me! :sweat:

Yea, those square books for chinese classes were a pain, I was never good at it even though I was from a chinese school. I was from Red Swastika School, 6 years of singing the damn chinese school song, up till today still dont understand what it means :sweat:

I used to hang out at Parkway where back than it was Yaohan, Toys R Us, MPH, Dennis Restaurant was around & the old Marine Parade cinema was operational. Was dunkin dognuts at Parkway as well? cant remember... saw one recently revived at Orchard Ion.

I did remember outside yaohan beside the Ba kwa store was a pretty cool sports shop, minster mint was across, so was anderson's ice cream.

I spend most of my youth at Parkway because my parents back than send me for piano classes at Kaiwai, the old timers would prob know where it was in Parkway.
Oh ya, beside Kaiwai in the basment, there used to be this huge dry cleaners there, can pratically see all the big dry cleaning machines in the store.

Also, across Parkway at Katong, Tay Bang Guang, the very first supermarket in Singapore! Which later degraded & became a snooker center.
80s rocked!

Last edited:
yaohan used to have people cooking carrot cake

i can't remember if it was good, but i remember staring at them cooking

along with the butterfly/humjipeng nonsense lol

yaohan used to have people cooking carrot cake

i can't remember if it was good, but i remember staring at them cooking

along with the butterfly/humjipeng nonsense lol

Oh ya, the Humjipeng, butterfly & you char kway did all come together at that store.

fogot about this, the top floor of Parkway where Giant is currently at now used to be a bloody huge arcade! plus it was so big that there was a food court in it.

cotton candy & popcorn were stationed up the front of the entrance

All I can say nowadays the kids around really do have a good life, alot of pampering & stuff... but they got pathetic toys compared to us! haha!
Its a proven fact, every cartoon or toys that came out from the 80s were either made into movies or they re-animated the old cartoon again to fit modern times.
Examples would be Spiderman, Batman, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe etc.
Toys after the 80s CMI :bsmilie: things like pokermon, magic cards??? wtf....:bsmilie:

Back than when I was a kid, if I had a teacher lodging a complain to my parents, first thing would be kena wack in sch by teachers. Than comes the parents who pick me up, get slapped around in school by them till my head spins. Go home, round 3, backside tear la.... Than get banned from watching cartoons from the 5-7pm slot, which sucks the most because everyone in school would be talking about yesterday's cartoons in school the next day.

Best part, the teachers that taught me in Red Swastika School, used to teach my dad in the Kumpong... hahaha!

Everytime my dad send me to sch, he would go up to his former teacher & said, if he mis-behaves, just beat the crap outta him *pengz*
Dont think parents these day would tell the teachers that.

I used to hang out at Parkway where back than it was Yaohan, Toys R Us, MPH, Dennis Restaurant was around & the old Marine Parade cinema was operational. Was dunkin dognuts at Parkway as well? cant remember... saw one recently revived at Orchard Ion.

My grandparents lived in Marine Parade. So always visit Parkway after visiting them.
I really missed the Toy's R Us, I believed that is the 1st branch in Singapore. I remember there is an ice cream stall outside, where I like its banana boat. ;p

I also miss the hawker center nearby, especailly the cha kuey teow and also the western food. Love its chicken chop. Now dun know if they still there. :dunno:

I remember one of the christmas where they is a huge santa claus decorated outside Parkway Parade. :bsmilie:

There was no vocation like PSP helper. :lovegrin:

Come to school to play hentam bola with tennis ball, one leg and the gals playing hopscotch.

different generation different childhood...

the kids now have it much better than our time definitely... but nothing beats going to lokang catch fish, catch spiders, play marble for lunch money :sweat: fly layang(kite), those hard core will remember coating glass on the threads...:devil:

my grandma stay in those kampong...put firecrackers, buy tikam... pluck rambutan...

the kids now can have their playstation, i will cherish those fond memories :)

There was no vocation like PSP helper. :lovegrin:

Come to school to play hentam bola with tennis ball, one leg and the gals playing hopscotch.

:bsmilie:....especially one leg.....a must have activity every canteen session during primary school. The whole class will form up into two teams and fight till the last person. Other than that is police and thieves.

Ah these thread brings back so much fond memories of childhood :thumbsup::thumbsup::heart:

the kids now have it much better than our time definitely... but nothing beats going to lokang catch fish, catch spiders, play marble for lunch money :sweat: fly layang(kite), those hard core will remember coating glass on the threads...:devil:

my grandma stay in those kampong...put firecrackers, buy tikam... pluck rambutan...

the kids now can have their playstation, i will cherish those fond memories :)

Can you imagine, the kelong toilet is built on the sea side? There is no flush, just pass throught the hole, no washing needed. :bsmilie:

Lol, forgot about police and thieves, uncle already. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:....especially one leg.....a must have activity every canteen session during primary school. The whole class will form up into two teams and fight till the last person. Other than that is police and thieves.

Back than when I was a kid, if I had a teacher lodging a complain to my parents, first thing would be kena wack in sch by teachers. Than comes the parents who pick me up, get slapped around in school by them till my head spins. Go home, round 3, backside tear la.... Than get banned from watching cartoons from the 5-7pm slot, which sucks the most because everyone in school would be talking about yesterday's cartoons in school the next day.

I appreciate the the relationship and trust our parents have with our teachers in the past.

If you kena whacked in school by your teachers, you better keep quiet if you're smart, if not go back complain sure get caned one. No need to ask any questions, if teacher beat you, you must be in the wrong. The teachers are always right :thumbsup:

Now if the teachers dare to even pinch the students, must complain to MOE liao :sweat:

I remember pounding the glass powder onto the kite string so that it will cut your opponents kite down! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.