If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
Sometimes, when we are on the street, we see someone whom we would like to photoshoot, would you approach him/her to take his/her photo? Or ask him/her to be your model?

one. if i belong to a talentsearch company. i will do it since its my job.

two. if i am a photographer. i will never in my life do it. because its really degrading to do so. and it will prolly bring the image of the other photographers down in the industry.

and in my own opinion. who are we to approach people and ask them whether they want to be our models. one question. WHO ARE WE ? Photographers ? in what why ? we arent pro. we don't own a studio, we don't have a team of stylist, blah blah blah.

i am not blasting. but heys. i think its a really bad idea to do so.:nono:

maybe i am conservative...

A few years ago I met a photographer and the back of his name card went something like this:

"Hi, you look gorgeous. I think you have the potential to make it to the top. I can help you to get there. Please give me a call for a photo session."

I lost touch with him and didn't know how much success he had with this technique.

ahhaha
tats pretty lame

glennyong said:

two. if i am a photographer. i will never in my life do it. because its really degrading to do so. and it will prolly bring the image of the other photographers down in the industry.

and in my own opinion. who are we to approach people and ask them whether they want to be our models. one question. WHO ARE WE ? Photographers ? in what why ? we arent pro. we don't own a studio, we don't have a team of stylist, blah blah blah.

ah ha~ I suppose ya nvr asked e 'birds' for permission to shoot them as well !?
sheese. wonder why ya shoot them as well ?
:think:

haven't even ask, they start posing liao! :bsmilie:

tucker said:
ah ha~ I suppose ya nvr asked e 'birds' for permission to shoot them as well !?
sheese. wonder why ya shoot them as well ?
:think:

humans and birds.. 2 different things.

its like comparing chix backsides and duck backsides.

and drudkh is right, i haven shoot, birds start posing before me.

but to the point. its bad. esp when pple mistakes ur actions.. anyway unless u are someone really good, people wouldnt mind.1 pass 10, 10 pass 100. 100 pass 1000.. for those who get what i am trying to say here..

birds on the other hand. please tell me if u see a bird gossiping about the birders here...

Asked before ;p for kids only :bsmilie:

actually i think i most guys here will have, almost the same poll system as mine...

Will u ask a chio bu on the street to photoshoot...

1) Ask
2) Dun Ask
3) Thinking
4) No need to ask liao..., cos i deliberated...

and everybody obviously know which 1 they choose liao...

there are many well-taken people protrait taken by many famous photographers, they either use long lens to take, or they asked those people before they took a shot of them. For instance, street photography.

I doubt it is a down-grading thing to ask people for a portrait shoot, at least it is just a way of asking for permission. Personally I love to take people portrait, I seldom ask thought. The moment you hold your camera, just give a smile or hand gesture and take a snap. If that person dont allow, just give another hand gesture to say "that's ok, thanks!!!" . And that's it and that's simple.... unless you are begging them :dunno: I believe that is something as a photographer should learn if you are into people portrait or street photography. And YEs.... when you travel overseas.... taking people.

As for asking of being your model, why not? If both the photographer and the person is willing to do so, or unless you are rich enough to hire a model for studio shooting practice.... else how and where are we going to learn for model shoot??

most times i will wait 4 ppl 2 siam 1st! :bsmilie:

glennyong said:

I think you are conservative. We do not have to be professional to ask. I do not find asking permission to shoot strangers on the street degrading. In fact, some strangers are happy to pose and may become friends that way.

depends on situation,if given a hard stare then you will know the answer already.

normally ask in a pleasant way and most likely they will pose.

glennyo two. if i am a photographer. i will never in my life do it. because its really degrading to do so. and it will prolly bring the image of the other photographers down in the industry. and in my own opinion. who are we to approach people and ask them whether they want to be our models. one question. WHO ARE WE ? [/QUOTE said:
i believe subjects are just as human as ourselves...... there is nothing wrong in asking..... most people take it as a compliment

anyway what is the worst thing that can happen? they just say 'No'.... nobody's going to bite your head off..... its all part of socializing

i dont normally ask but sometimes I do (actually not ask but just chat them up) My biggest fear?........ is that if i dont ask or at least try.... I will never know what the reply will be....... that is my fear.......

I really Liked a girl once in school many years ago when i was single (yah super crush) ....... to this day I regret still...... because i did not have the balls then to just ask her for her name and say a simple 'Hi' ........so NEVER AGAIN (never again will I miss a photo op because I feel shy or scared about chatting someone up) !!!

Those "what-if's" ('What if I had just.....' 'What if I had only.....') will haunt u for the rest of your life

Its easy to shoot beggars, farmers, hawkers, villagers etc etc in 3rd world countries. Its another thing altogether to shoot our contemporaries in 1st world countries

But then, shooting people is but one type of photography..... many other types of photography involves little or no human interaction and/or human subjects

best of luck!

ed

Status
Not open for further replies.