If you have just a few lines to say about Pentax, what would you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
If you have just a few lines to say about pentax's DSLR, especially with regards to its major strength and weakness of this brand among many other brands, and perhaps about the best value for money model (e.g. the entry level or intermediate level model), what would you say?

I'm thinking of gathering just a very short introduction for each brand for a newbie thread. well, it will never be exhaustive and comprehensive, i understand a few lines can't say it all, but that introduction would probably be just the first step for the newbies anyway.

Strength: Widest choice of backward-compatible lenses.... from M42 screw mount lenses to the entire series of Pentax K-mount family of lenses.

Weakness: Yet to capture bigger slice of the market to generate stronger interest from third-party lens manufacturers

Value for money model: K100D - Among the most affordable without having users to spend extra cost on proprietary batteries and little-used functions.

Strength: considably the most affordable dslr in the market now... (there could be more more coming from other brands in the near future... who know right? ;p )

Weakness: relatively new in the market and among the least in the world of cameras... (still got lots to catch up in terms of accessories and ideas...)

Strength: considably the most affordable dslr in the market now... (there could be more more coming from other brands in the near future... who know right? ;p )

Weakness: relatively new in the market and among the least in the world of cameras... (still got lots to catch up in terms of accessories and ideas...)

First statement is wrong = D40 is the most affordable.

Second statement is wrong = Pentax made the first SLR and "among the least" is unusual - unless you mean to say: "look! It's not nikon or canon!"

--

Strength: Produces cameras with complete backward compatibility and superior price/performance.

Weakness: New lens availability/selection is weak, and effect of recent acquisition by Hoya is uncertain.

"The Ihagee Kine-Exakta was the first 35 mm SLR...", according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

The name "PENTAX" came from "PENTAprism" and "asahifleX", when Asahi Optical introduced the pentaprism (Contax already had incorporated pentaprisms in their SLR camera then) into their flagship Asahiflex SLR cameras, as described according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax

"The Ihagee Kine-Exakta was the first 35 mm SLR...", according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

The name "PENTAX" came from "PENTAprism" and "asahifleX", when Asahi Optical introduced the pentaprism (Contax already had incorporated pentaprisms in their SLR camera then) into their flagship Asahiflex SLR cameras, as described according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax

Sorry - I meant first japanese SLR.

Dnaxe,
I agree with you about the weakness as well. Let's hope that the Hoya acquisition of Pentax is going to be a 'brother saving brother' situation and will lead to more lens-manufacturing for Pentax mounts.

First statement is wrong = D40 is the most affordable.

Actually - on reflection - are the DL, etc. still on the market? Might really be the most affordable.

Also, my comment about the D40 is in relation to Singapore. The K110D doesn't appear to be available here, and the K100D is a tad more expensive generally.

Actually - on reflection - are the DL, etc. still on the market? Might really be the most affordable.

Also, my comment about the D40 is in relation to Singapore. The K110D doesn't appear to be available here, and the K100D is a tad more expensive generally.
The difference between the D40 and the K100D is not a lot price-wise. However while both cameras produce nice images, in my books the Pentax wins hands-down. Shake reduction, backward lens compatibility, depth of field preview, etc. whereas it seems like Nikon pared down quite a lot of features into the D40. It's like you get a lot less camera for the roughly the same price.

Strength: Simply great features and value
Weakness: Not enough brand recognition

Pros:
- Relatively affordable
- Good lenses
- full-featured

Cons:
- Over-processed JPEG images (RAW is excellent though)
- No market mindsare
- No real third-party lens support
- uncertain future after acquisition by Hoya.

Pros
- pancake lens
- limited lenses
- in body IS
- K10d best value semipro
- innovative exposure modes

Cons
- no brand recognition
- third party options limited
- lens availability not very good

Value for money model: K100D - Among the most affordable without having users to spend extra cost on proprietary batteries and little-used functions.

runs on what kind of batteries then?

Pros
- pancake lens
- limited lenses
- in body IS
- K10d best value semipro
- innovative exposure modes

Cons
- no brand recognition
- third party options limited
- lens availability not very good

pancake means light and small?

runs on what kind of batteries then?

K100D can run on standard alkaline AA, CR-V3, or rechargeable batteries in either AA or CR-V3 form-factor. I use standard NiMH rechargeable batteries in AA form-factor, which is so easily available and chargers are easy to find too.

Forgot to mention a big advantage: image stabilisation with every lens...
Just think of all the money you have just saved not having to buy VR lenses :thumbsup:

Like: rare (exclusive)

Hate: rare (hard to find accessories) ;p

Seriously,
1. SR
2. Pentaprism
3. Alloy chassis
4. History (together with Nikon)

cons only:
ISO800 noise
availability of good lens : prime, LE, and FA*
local service center sux...

I can get 5D+,24-70L, 24-105L+70-200IS or D200+70-200VR, 18-200VR in 2 hours.
but I used 1YR to pursue K10D+FA*80-200, 28-70,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.