If you buy expensive camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akane

Jun 4, 2003
Sydney
Just a thought that was on my mind for the longest time. Until a friend recently lost his newly bought camera during a trip, which made me want to post this.

You buy that expensive camera and of course you would want to go travel with it to take nice photos and keep memories of that place. but then you have this constant fear of it being stolen/lost/misplace etc.
i know of some friends who don't even dare to bring their newly bought digicam overseas, instead they brought their cheaper cousins along.

i know one should remain vigilant at all times, keeping a lookout for your camera bag etc..but like for my friend's case, he was simply too tired and he couldn't remain vigilant enough and the next thing he knew it's gone.

actually to him, the pain is not really the lost of his beloved camera but rather the photos that he took.

i am going to bali soon and this has made me think again..should i bring my good camera or should i bring my cheap camera? :(

Keep a look out for it at all times like you would a child... dont get there and wish you had brought the better camera.. just dont let it leave your site.

connect it to your body at all times by the straps or whatever.. rather than just placing it down somewhere...

if you dont bring it, you may as well throw it away... ;p

Hi akane,

Think end of the day, it is up to the individual to be vigilant on their own items. You can bring over a cheap digicam and it can be lost as well if you are not careful.

So does it matter? Whether you bring over a cheap or expensive one? Most important of all, enjoy your trip and of course be comfortable with the camera you bring over for taking your pics.

If you really feel that you will be careless enough to lose something on your trip, then why go over in the first place.

So whenever we go overseas, be careful of belongings one way or another. Lossing a camera is less of your worries, safety is more important ;)

Just my 2 cents worth :)

maybe i am paranoid..but in a case of you hanging your cam around your neck..it just tells people that..you are a tourist and chances are you are inviting people to rob you?
:(

yeah i know..i have to be vigilant at all times.

in the case of the friend who bought his new camera and didn't bring it overseas because of his fear of losing it/being robbed...
my thought was..then why buy an expensive camera in the first place since you are not going to bring it overseas? isn't it a waste to buy a camera and not bring it overseas?

u can get lost overseas too, let alone cameras..

Cash said:
u can get lost overseas too, let alone cameras..

you get lost overseas you won't get heartache ;)

akane said:
maybe i am paranoid..but in a case of you hanging your cam around your neck..it just tells people that..you are a tourist and chances are you are inviting people to rob you?
:(

I think Bali is still ok, they see so many tourist more than they see their own people. Bring a lower $ film SLR should alright. The place is so beautiful, you'll regret if you din bring a more versatile camera and of course, 1-2 good lenses. Or borrow a manual body SLR, they look smaller and doesn't attract too much attention.

Just don't wander alone at the beach or dark alley at night.

brings lotsa lotsa of cable ties. tie it with you :blah:

seriously i think... u shld bring ur gd camera with you. but you have to keep it by ur side all the time too. if not.. end up ur friend's case again :)

last time army teach us never to lose our rifle.

now its just a camera. aint too serious as losing a weapon, dude.

so just go with the expensive cam

Buying a camera and not using it means you are a camera collector.
Buying a camera and taking it with you to the ends of the earth recording your memories means you are a photographer.

choose one. :D

most of the things in life is in relative form ... a $2k camera is expensive to some ppl but small matter to others. As such, just tell yourself whether you can afford to damage/lose the cam or not. My personal principal is nvr to borrow from others a cam for your own tour. If you can, just bring your cam along since you want to take back all the nice memories (which is also relative to your importance). But remember not to show off yr expensive cam whenever possible in remote places whenever you are alone/couple. When in a group, i dont think it's a problem. Also remember the purpose of yr tour ... pic taking only or you are with yr love ones. Remember they also want yr attention.
Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.