if there is a carbon fibre service to wrap on your camera, how much will you pay?

if there is a carbon fibre service to wrap on cam/lens, how much will you pay?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDream

Nov 12, 2005
if there is a carbon fibre service to wrap on your camera or lens, how much will you pay?

nothing. i believe in function over form.

carbon fiber is going to do nothing to protect the camera. unless one creates a shell with honeycomb or foam between the CF shell and the camera/lens body.

camera armour would be a better choice, and i think that even that is quite ridiculous :bsmilie:

but there are places which do CF lookalike painting or stickers for car accessories though. another pointless pursuit but at least cars are meant to look nice.

cameras on the other hand, are meant to make other things look nice

Has to be the other way around - how much would the company insure my hands and body for if CF splinters damage nerves, lacerate major blood vessels etc, cannot shoot or make a living anymore?

if there is a carbon fibre service to wrap on your camera or lens, how much will you pay?

maybe u can explain to us what are the advantages of doing the wrap?
what is its advantage over gaffering, for e.g.?
are there any other things in the market doing similar function and how dothey compare?
etc.

by knowing this, we could give u a better answer as to how much we are willing to pay.

$20 tops including labor ..... but actually can DIY ..... just buy the Carbon Fiber print sticker from Autobacs or similar autoshop

not bad...... Bengs should find this cool

I won't want to do that.

heh coz got ppl ask so just curious to find out is there actually ppl who like it.

btw its not sticker we're talking about, its true carbon fibre which is stiff and provide extra protection. However the manufacturing process is much more complicated for a good finishing.

heh coz got ppl ask so just curious to find out is there actually ppl who like it.

btw its not sticker we're talking about, its true carbon fibre which is stiff and provide extra protection. However the manufacturing process is much more complicated for a good finishing.

if you are not talking about the sticker, and use stiff carbon fibre, you mean it will be like those handphone casing with holes cut out for the camera buttons and lcd screen?

this could risk heat dissipation problems in our hot tropical climate

i'll pay none... i won't want that even if it's free... i'm just not a cosmetic guy... ;p

I hear cotton wool works quite well, and it's cheaper too.

And if you're on a budget there's always polystyrene.

A lot of people forget to protect the front of their lens and end up with broken glass. Make sure you get lots of padding there too, and when you're applying your padding make sure you wind the material anti-clockwise from the middle outwards towards the filter thread.

You left out the option for 'None'

The CF wrap won't make the camera more durable against impact. There is no buffer between the CF and camera body, and any impact will simply transfer through. Of course, marketing can say otherwise :D

In fact, the need to take care of the glossy CF finish will be even more trouble.

I guess CF doesn't really offer much more impact protection, otherwise they would have used it on laptops, which seems like a logical product to implement.
Usually laptop manufacturers would rather use magnesium or alu instead of CF says quite a bit already.

Tendency for Clubsnappers here to jump the gun without reading carefully :)

It is NOT REAL Carbon Fiber! It is a high tech vinyl material. The latest is one developed by 3M, call Di-Noc , tough enough to be use as car skin.

http://www.3m.com/intl/sg/carskin/

I have being using it for more than 2 years for Car, bicycle, camera , lens and handphone instead of gaffer tape, which fade and wear out easily . This material is very hard wearing and lasting can almost apply and forget. Even items with the material on after 2 years, it is easily removed without residue...... highly recomended.

TS ,

With a pair of scissor and a hair dryer, it is relatively easy to apply, do a yourtube search you will find a few videos on it. If you are not handy then perhaps approach those 3M certified applicators on the above link and check if they do it for camera!:)

:cheers:

Last edited:
cool wrap! but again its pure cosmetic and not true carbon. Want to find out easier and cheaper way to manufacture real CF

Status
Not open for further replies.