If the lens is not focusing what does it mean?

cmpunkftw

Jul 9, 2011
Hi all, I've a question to ask:

I've a 70-200 VR1, just bought recently a few months ago from a fellow CS-er. Everything worked fine, but just now when I took it out for a shoot on my new D7000, the AF failed to work. May I know is the AF mechanism failed, or the contact point dirty? Need advise on this matter.. Thanks!

I've a 70-200 VR1, just bought recently a few months ago from a fellow CS-er. Everything worked fine, but just now when I took it out for a shoot on my new D7000, the AF failed to work. May I know is the AF mechanism failed, or the contact point dirty? Need advise on this matter.. Thanks!

No one can advise unless you show the camera and lens. I suggest you bring to NSC or bro fatigue.

Did you accidentally switch the camera to manual focusing mode? Check the switch at the side of the camera near the mount.

check what mod ziploc suggests first. if it is set correctly,
try un-mount and re-mount the lens, make sure you hear a click sound.

still have problems, bring both to Nikon Service Center tomorrow.

Thanks moderators for all replies. Guess need to head down to service centre. Dunno how much will the cost be.. This lens no more warranty =/

AF not working could be so many things, could be:

1) Your switch is on MF
2) Contact point dirty
3) Camera fault
4) Lens fault
5) No contrast where you are focusing at
6) Too dark to focus

Not sure what you mean by AF failed to work, does the lens try to focus, or does it not even bother trying to focus?

Make sure your lens too is not set to MF

If it's not because of the A/M switch on the lens, try focusing with the AF-On button on your camera, maybe your shutter button is faulty. Or maybe some other settings have shifted, possibly prior to this you were on Mirror-Up or timer mode.

also be sure your subject is far enough from you. 70-200 has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5 meters

also be sure your subject is far enough from you. 70-200 has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5 meters

*eeeeks!* Ghost!!! Where have you been bro?! :bsmilie:

To add to your advice... also not forgetting to mention that you should check if the delimiter switch is not turned on for 5m to infinity (if you happened to be focusing on something closer)... Sometimes I forget to switch it back, and I thought my lens is trying to be funny as well... :sweat:

Last edited:
*eeeeks!* Ghost!!! Where have you been bro?! :bsmilie:

To add to your advice... also not forgetting to mention that you should check if the delimiter switch is not turned on for 5m to infinity (if you happened to be focusing on something closer)... Sometimes I forget to switch it back, and I thought my lens is trying to be funny as well... :sweat:

haha, was out-station for about 4 months, bro. good to be back. :)

i almost forgot about that delimeter switch on the "bamboo cannon". maybe coz i dont usually shoot more than meters away from my subject. :sweat:

i actually encountered this poblem with my nikon 24-70 before. I couldn't figure it out but i just remounted the lens and everything went back to normal. Any serious problem there?

HI, TS. Wonder whether you have your problem solved. I had also encountered this problem before. You can try pressing the shutter release and at the same time use the other hand to lightly turn the front focusing ring. In my case there is a slight friction that prevent the motor to run. In another word,its like push starting the motor.