If I keep CPL on for good, do I need UV filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ombre

Sep 3, 2008
Hi Guys, I was just wondering if anyone can clear my doubts.

I own an FZ18, and am trying to get my tele-con lens adapter, the answer to this question will somehow affect my decision.

Problem now is, I would like a CPL filter, however if I stack up a UV + CPL filter, I won't be able to put on my lens cap.

So the question really is, does UV serve any purpose besides scratch prevention? If it doesn't I don't mind just using the CPL as both a CPL and a sacrificial coat.

Note that CPLs cut down on your light. Your light loss can range anywhere from 1 to 2.5 stops, depending on your CPL filter's quality as well.

So the question really is, does UV serve any purpose besides scratch prevention? If it doesn't I don't mind just using the CPL as both a CPL and a sacrificial coat.

To protect your lens you can also use a lens hood or just be more careful :) Have a read here about the side effects of simple UV filters:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml
Beside this: are you aware of the characteristic of a CPL? It reduces the light coming in to your lens. What good reason do you see to leave such a filter on for good? Every filter serves a certain purpose, there is no "one filter fits all". Read more about the CPL and it's usage: http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/polarizing-filter.html

Calebk and Octarine, thanks a lot for replying so fast.

Cutting down on light is certainly something I didn't know and didn't think of, definitely not leaving it on for good now. Thanks a lot for your answers!

Anyway, after reading the link by Octarine, it sounds like I should remove the UV filter from perm use as well? What do you guys think? I'm using an FZ18 which is Leica lens, and... a really crap UV filter. =/

personally, my thinking is that a filter, besides having certain function, it also provides protection. just like putting a screen protector on ur hp/psp etc. so it is really up to individual whether to leave it perm on or not. however i like the way the author ends of his thread "Otherwise, use that UV filter like a lenscap, and take it off before you shoot." :bsmilie:
for the record, this is wat i do as well :)

personally, my thinking is that a filter, besides having certain function, it also provides protection. just like putting a screen protector on ur hp/psp etc. so it is really up to individual whether to leave it perm on or not. however i like the way the author ends of his thread "Otherwise, use that UV filter like a lenscap, and take it off before you shoot." :bsmilie:
for the record, this is wat i do as well :)

Thats what I thought too. But think about it, if you do that, you're actually...

1) Wasting alot of time.
2) possibly wearing down your body's thread
3) risk scratching the lens while blindly trying to replace the filter.
4) trapping extra dust between when you remove and replace.

If you do that, might as well not have it, right?

For me its a dust issue, I get dust on my lens A LOT.. (like 5 seconds after cleaning), I'm not sure if its the same for everyone but I find my room really dusty and hard to keep clean. So I actually wipe my lens a lot, with micro-fiber, but really if I run out of options I do crap things, like using my clothes, or even wet towels then quickly drying them (I realize I should stop using wet towels).

Anyway how do you guys clean your dust off the lens besides micro-fiber? I saw some shops using those "jet air" spray, where would you get one of those and how much?.

Anyway, after reading the link by Octarine, it sounds like I should remove the UV filter from perm use as well? What do you guys think? I'm using an FZ18 which is Leica lens, and... a really crap UV filter. =/

To use UV filter or not to use UV filter is one of those debates that go on perpetually.

If you use one, get a decent one.

For me its a dust issue, I get dust on my lens A LOT.. (like 5 seconds after cleaning), I'm not sure if its the same for everyone but I find my room really dusty and hard to keep clean. So I actually wipe my lens a lot, with micro-fiber, but really if I run out of options I do crap things, like using my clothes, or even wet towels then quickly drying them (I realize I should stop using wet towels).

I think you need to clean up your room first. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.