if HCB posted his pix on clubsnap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
pai said:
would you scold him for picture not sharp?

hee hee hee

If HCB printed and published an image which was not sharp then that is how he intended it. And yes, of course he took images which were unsharp, which would have been better focussed - these he did not publish, if he did then I would be one of the first to scold, not for an unsharp photo but for publishing something below his skill level.

Someone actually tried this on Flickr's deletme group. An obscure HCB photo was posted and everyone started giving critique on it... not sharp, poor composition, should've done this, should've done that etc... And most folks voted to delete it!

But some valid points were made, like how something can be construed differently over time, regardless of how famous the photographer was. Personally, looking at HCB's stuff now, there are some images which I don't really care for, though he has got a great many masterpieces.

Hmm.... To err is human.

But den again, what was his intention of blur? Who can guarantee a 120% sharp photo all the time for all their works?

Sion said:
I'll ask for his credentials first before I say anything.

isn't it the other way? like listing down your credentials before you say anything?

...that would be great! the streets section would be so cool!

;p

zaren said:
...that would be great! the streets section would be so cool!

;p

hey zaren, long time no see you critique inside critique corner leh :sticktong

eikin said:
hey zaren, long time no see you critique inside critique corner leh :sticktong

aarrghhh....my bad! i've taken on too many projects....

i shall return to the critique corner!

:bsmilie:

eikin said:
isn't it the other way? like listing down your credentials before you say anything?

How about you give us an example of what you mean.

I remember my photo instructor once told me. First know the rules. Only when you know the rules, can you then break it. A lot of people are particular about sharpness (myself included), but there could be times where a slight blur can add some mood even when the subject is standing still.

eikin said:
huh what exmaple? i just asking Sion :dunno:

You said it should be the fellow giving the critique who needs to list his credentials first. I'm wondering how you would go about doing that and thought you could provide an example of a posting giving a critique.

Terence said:
You said it should be the fellow giving the critique who needs to list his credentials first. I'm wondering how you would go about doing that and thought you could provide an example of a posting giving a critique.

ah oh well. fine. it's meant to be a joke base on Sion's words. please don't read too hard in kopitiam.

eikin said:
ah oh well. fine. it's meant to be a joke base on Sion's words. please don't read too hard in kopitiam.

Err... how was I suppose to know it's a joke? I read it like you wrote it.

So you don't think one should list his credentials before starting a critique ya?

Terence said:
Err... how was I suppose to know it's a joke? I read it like you wrote it.

So you don't think one should list his credentials before starting a critique ya?

does it matter? most artists wouldn't care who's going to critique his/her work, he/she just take what's useful. likewise, for people not going write volumes of theses on art, why bother knowing credentials of the artists before expressing his/her feeling for the work?

I see... I had Student's recent "credentials" thread in mind when I posed my question. There was strong support for the person giving the critique to list his credentials before proceeding with the critique... as if that will somehow validate his views.

Terence said:
I see... I had Student's recent "credentials" thread in mind when I posed my question. There was strong support for the person giving the critique to list his credentials before proceeding with the critique... as if that will somehow validate his views.

Student has his views, he did mention that it's not a must, of course those who read him as saying that it's a must are going to have much disagreement with him. I don't disagree that for some people, it's good to know credentials to get more 'accurate' exchange. but i don't bother with all these, not like my dislike for Andy Warhol's works is going to stop people from becoming his fans. i like to express my views on art works i see, helps me consolidate my thoughts. but if the artist whose works i comment on thinks i'm rubbish and causing much distress, i don't mind stopping anytime. not like there's only one piece of work to look at.

this is kopitiam leh, can don't talk in Critique Corner mode or not ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.