if HCB posted his pix on clubsnap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
Who can guarantee a 120% sharp photo all the time for all their works?

ansel adams.

Terence said:
An obscure HCB photo was posted and everyone started giving critique on it... not sharp, poor composition, should've done this, should've done that etc... And most folks voted to delete it!

mebbe that's why it was obscure?

if people knew it was a HCB, what would be the reaction?

if it was someone who knew nothing about photography rules and HCB, what would be the reaction?

if everybody uniformly agreed that a single work is great, what does it say to capture the majority's adoration?

zaren said:
ansel adams.
Erm... different speciality area. :confused: But both are respected masters in their own fields of speciality.

igpenguin said:
if people knew it was a HCB, what would be the reaction?

if it was someone who knew nothing about photography rules and HCB, what would be the reaction?

if everybody uniformly agreed that a single work is great, what does it say to capture the majority's adoration?
Everybody's reaction will be "Wah! Master! A piece of Art!"

When administered the blind test, everyone pathetically fails. That's always the case.

he know what is keyboard? lol

jsbn said:
Everybody's reaction will be "Wah! Master! A piece of Art!"

When administered the blind test, everyone pathetically fails. That's always the case.

everybody's second reaction would be....huh? a leica lens is THAT soft? :bsmilie:

Terence said:
Perhaps obscure was an inappropriate term. I'm sure the image is quite famous. Find out for yourself.

Check out the Flickr page.

hahaha....actually the image IS very famous.

Terence said:
Perhaps obscure was an inappropriate term. I'm sure the image is quite famous. Find out for yourself.

Check out the Flickr page.

thanks for the link. interesting how the discussion veered off into things like "oh, he would made a better picture if he had modern equipment", or "what, just because his famous means his work is good?". thought the main point of the exercise was to remind us that many of us miss the wood for the trees... seeing only pixels, and not images.

wah oops, just scanned thru the critique corner subforum and saw that someone already posted the link in my first post... hee, sorry for the repeat.

at least the people on flickr din complain abt messy rambut...
rofl.gif

nightwolf75 said:
at least the people on flickr din complain abt messy rambut...
rofl.gif
There may be numerous other complaints that may be lingering around to those who are administered the blind test for all we know. ;)

Welcome back bro, how's life on the other end? :)

personally, i think this obsession with sharpness is a relatively new phenomenon, related to pixel peeping and those never ending discussions about which lens is sharper..

It's nothing to do with HCB's poor focusing. It's what he intended it. Looking at that pic, the focus was with the lady with the baby. Putting the emphasis on them tells something. Concentrate on your loved ones. Work is secondary! He has observed that a lot of us are workaholics and didn't care about our families. What this pic is trying to tell is to care for your family members (including your dog) and don't waste too much time on work!

At least that's what comes into my mind when I see this pic, and I'm sure if HCB use an auto focusing cam, he knows what is focus lock!

HCB would be turning in his grave.

i mean look at what some of the people cite as reason:

TECHNOLOGY

i mean WTF? seriously. i'm sure a leica back then would be different from a leica now but i'm sure ISO and metering has not changed much. seriously dumb.. and worth a good laugh.. that's no obscure image... that image IS famous.. goodness.. one of his masterpieces.

as for the credentials thing.. i know this ain't critique corner... but for one, i don't buy it man. this is the net, it's free speech, you can't stop what i say, i can't stop what you say. you wanna burst out one whole bunch of technicals nobody can stop you... similarly you can't stop anybody from calling you names in return.. or flames, whatever...

as for why that HCB photo was great... i'd say... GEOMETRY. :)

(oh i'm really referring to the flickr experiment on this one. )

Status
Not open for further replies.