If flash is freely allowed, are f2.8 or faster lens needed for short range work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
ignoring of course the bokeh or quality of blur that f2.8 and faster lenses gives.

Too general a question, what kind of ambient light and flash are you talking about, what kinda focal length, etc. More info will be helpful.

The way i see it, f2.8 or better lenses allow more light in. If there was already more light (from flash) then would it make such lenses redundant for short range work?

Like sabee said, it all depends on a lot of things like the style you like to shoot. I tend to do a lot of portrait work with external lighting, so f/2.8 isn't really necessary for me. For example, I'll take the Canon EF 70-200mm/F4 IS over the EF 70-200mm/F2.8 (I'll take the EF 70-200mm/F2.8 IS any day :) :) :)

Flash doesn't always work in all situations, so if I can afford it, I'll have a 2.8 or larger lens in my pack just in case.

Hope that helps.

depends on the lights available...
i don't mean sunlight.
if indoor, i would still prefer to use flash cos indoor lightings might cast a green hue sometimes...

why not? the f2.8 still helps you to make ur background brighter.

IMO, do not need a f2.8 lens if flash can be used. Fast lens may hinder because of shallow DOF.

ignoring of course the bokeh or quality of blur that f2.8 and faster lenses gives.

It'll be helpful for the faster focusing speed and accuracy.

"needed" ?

Technically, no, or not necessarily.

Desired? Usually. :bsmilie:

Depends, I still prefer 2.8 as flash need to wait for charge.

using a 2.8 pro lens shoot with flash at f5.6, the colors, contrast, sharpness anytime better than a kit lens shoot with flash at the same f stop.

not forgetting the viewfinder also brighter, focusing also faster and easier.

so whether a f2.8 pro lens is needed or not, is entirely up to you.

If the background lights is stronger than the foreground, u need to have balanced fill flash or otherwise your subject face will be underexposed.

It'll be helpful for the faster focusing speed and accuracy.

yes, for faster and more accurate focus.

faster lenses are generally better made and can give better image quality. But then you can still achieve very good results with flash and a slower lens.

Tat said from fellow cs'ers, tat peice of quality glass (f2.8 etc) still matters~

you can get f4 with a f2.8 lens, but not the other way round

Flash and lens speed are not perfect substitutes.

Eg even if you can handhold at 1/30 with IS at 2.8, the subject may not stay till for you.

On the other hand, the look of a flash shot is very different from that of a natural light shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.