If DSLR can use LCD as viewfinder, will u use it to shoot?

If DSLR can use LCD as viewfinder, will u use it to shoot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
megaweb said:
Yes. No joke. It is very useful for insect macro photography.

why is it so?

the optical viewfinder no good for macro? :embrass:

yup i would if i wanna shoot people secretly. Even better if got tilt and swivel lcd. good for shooting events over crowds.

good for manual focusing, you see the preview in viewfinder you zoom in the you focus, its usefull for macro photography, i use it in my Minolta A2 lasttime.

Hee, i feel it is useful for snap shots, the person will just think that you are reviewing photos :)
The LCD viewfinder is also good for people like me who wear glasses coz with the gap of the glass to the traditional viewfinder, most of the time it is a bit hard to frame nicely or rightly (parralax error??) :bigeyes:
But the traditional viewfinder has its uses too like in outdoors, etc. My old lumix always have problem with that (the traditional viewfinder is a joke, what you see is never what you take!)...

cheers-

Yes!!!... in situation where you dun wan your eyes stuck to the viewfinder.

for me is panning a fast and small bird at long focal length

i will. 100% coverage.

tilt and turn e best. can shoot insects under the leaf. shoot above people's head. and all other angles i have yet to thought of. to shoot around the corner w/o people noticing u? not with a 300mm lah...

davsmiths said:
i will. 100% coverage.

tilt and turn e best. can shoot insects under the leaf. shoot above people's head. and all other angles i have yet to thought of. to shoot around the corner w/o people noticing u? not with a 300mm lah...

haha i agree with you on the shooting above the head after my experience in Chinatown on CNY eve :sweat:

CYRN said:
Yes!!!... in situation where you dun wan your eyes stuck to the viewfinder.

for me is panning a fast and small bird at long focal length
Still difficult lar, not much diff. At very long focal lengths, its very tough to track a tiny bird. :( A zoom lens would work better.

Siao...

1) The sensor needs to be continously powered (ie: shorter sensor life, battery life)

2) Dust is even more easy to rest on sensor (ie: No shutter no mirror to protect sensor)

3) The sensor need to 'freeze' the motion & AF when half-press (ie: like DCs, thus slower AF, slower tracking)

WTH would anybody want to use LCD on a SLR. Defeats the purpose.

When handholding, I rest the camera against my head;
Like, the part above my eye on the eyecup;

If I turn on LCD preview then how to push against my head haha

I guess it is useful when shooting sunset....staring at the sun directly from view finder is quite bad for the eye i guess :dunno:

espn said:
Siao...

1) The sensor needs to be continously powered (ie: shorter sensor life, battery life)

2) Dust is even more easy to rest on sensor (ie: No shutter no mirror to protect sensor)

3) The sensor need to 'freeze' the motion & AF when half-press (ie: like DCs, thus slower AF, slower tracking)

The purpose is not to have all e above disadvantages and to have a live lcd preview. that will be best right?

it's either Prosumer cams rule the world with DSLR-like handling or some1 comes out with some new technology... i'm sure one day it will come true...

espn said:
Siao...

Change name to Interchangable Lense Camera(ILC). :bsmilie:
Its good for overhead shots like a videocam. :thumbsup:

espn said:
Siao...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hommie said:
Change name to Interchangable Lense Camera(ILC). :bsmilie:
Its good for overhead shots like a videocam. :thumbsup:

Yea..
There's no way a DSLR would not have a mirror. Otherwise, it'd not be called a LR camera. Lens Reflex refers to the motion of the mirror when you're taking a shot.
AFAIK, there are only 2 digital camera's with an optical TTL viewfinder that do not have a mirror. They're the Olympus E-10 and E-20 which use a pentaprism to split the image to the viewfinder.

espn said:
Siao...

For 1... the LCD preview only comes active when shutter is halfpressed... this should not shorten the sensor and battery lifespan too much.

For 2... I quote
Firefox said:
Yea..
There's no way a DSLR would not have a mirror. Otherwise, it'd not be called a LR camera. Lens Reflex refers to the motion of the mirror when you're taking a shot.
AFAIK, there are only 2 digital camera's with an optical TTL viewfinder that do not have a mirror. They're the Olympus E-10 and E-20 which use a pentaprism to split the image to the viewfinder..
And also the EOS 1 Rs ( :dunno: ) something called pellicle mirror?

For 3... Dun get you... on slr, the focusing unit is seperate and independent from the sensor anyway :confused: How can affect focusing and AF speed?

CYRN said:
For 1... the LCD preview only comes active when shutter is halfpressed... this should not shorten the sensor and battery lifespan too much.

For 2... I quote

And also the EOS 1 Rs ( :dunno: ) something called pellicle mirror?

For 3... Dun get you... on slr, the focusing unit is seperate and independent from the sensor anyway :confused: How can affect focusing and AF speed?

1 - If half press then LCD preview become active, then use what to focus? Manual? Half-press = focus, geddit?

2 - Then I'll counter quote you in the sense that, won't DSLR become idiotic to not have a shutter/mirror, might as well just get the Minolta 7hi that can do manual focus? :blah:

3 - focusing unit is on the glass, the half-press will need to drive the focusing, don't forget the sensor is electronic, it needs to update itself continously before feeding back to the LCD, that's why on DCs, there's the focus lag because of the feedback from the sensor to the LCD. Unlike SLRs, the image preview thru VF is optically done and not electronically! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.