if clubsnap impose $2/post in Buy/Sell...? good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkkang

Jan 6, 2007
Punggol 21
Just thinking about this question. There are so many people throwing lens and cameras in the buy/sell section. If clubsnap impose a $2/post...

1) do you think the post will drop significantly?

2) Do you think that the quality of the post will be better? with pictures, detail of parts description because people wants to sell away things fast. Money is conceren here.

Just thinking about this question. There are so many people throwing lens and cameras in the buy/sell section. If clubsnap impose a $2/post...

2) Do you think that the quality of the post will be better? with pictures, detail of parts description because people wants to sell away things fast. Money is conceren here.

thats a IF. but frankly speaking, although its a good idea to make cs a stronger and more solid forum, but well... i think most of the members here will say its a bad idea... ;)

personally.... i think its a good idea. (benefits the forum thou..) :sticktong

i think it is pretty bad idea. i would not want to pay 2 bucks to post a WTB thread.

Paypal or equivalent will have to be introduced. Troublesome, all by credit card.
It will become $2.14 cos of GST.
We will see: WTS:Nikkor 12-24mm MINT! BNP:$1302.14, SB: $1252.14
Even Yahoo Singapore Auctions doesnt charge commission.
It would be a tempting idea, but not feasible.

ha ha... thanks for all the reply, you guys are so funny. This is the first time I join into Kopitiam.. very interesting indeed.

The reason that started this idea is that I kept seeing people putting UPZ... and UPZ... and there are about 500views for this lens but no one seems to be bidding the item... If he continuw to UPZ and UPZ... till half a year later, there will still be no reply.

I also think that this is a bad idea. Singapore is already so small, if we further impose $2/post. Then I don't think there will be so much postings.

Cheers ! Kopitiam.

No. $2 + GST is not enough a deterrent to many.

One forum where 'trust', 'honour' and 'fairness' is upheld to the max is a US forum I sometimes do USD 3 figure or more transactions.

There, the classifieds are ruled with an iron fist - that is to say, your word is your honour, and any infringement gets you a chance to make amends and publically apologise, or face life-long banishment besides federal action. I've seen guys in Europe posting up asking for help because some chao nang in the US shat them on a deal, and within a month or so, so much 'heat' was put on the scammer, both internet as well as forum members e-mailing both the seller and calling/e-mailing non-stop to the local police/FBI dept (in the US, internet fraud is a federal offense) and offering to 'drive by and pay a visit' to the chao seller so much so that refunds in full were made.

Think that's going to happen here? Notice, our word and reputation is of so little worth that even the i-trader listing is of literally no use. No one bothers to update it, and no one bothers to ask for updates after a transaction simply because no one here, for the most part, honours a word spoken as a promise.

CS classifieds needs an effective and strictly enforced value system for it to be taken seriously, to avoid or minimise just about every sort of unfair and unetical trade whis is so openly rampant that no one notices anyomre, and for words like 'honour' and 'trust' to be taken seriously.

As a wise man once said, (you can't ever fault him for logic and insight, can you?), unfortunately, ours is a society that only understands two things: punishment and reward.

A $2 or even $5 per classified thread ruling would be insignificant, in light of the big $$$ to be made by indiscriminate trade in the photo industry. And any sum larger would bring on a mass outcry.

This is one area, that, if the mods and admin take on an iron fist, would truly benefit photographers in the long run. But of course, it's very hard work to moderate the classifieds, and probably harder work for people to act ethically and honourably. Such, is our people, only IF they are allowed to be such.

den those in Services Offered/Wanted, Mass Order/Mass Sales should impose how much fee?

:think:

This idea will most likely fail and it will fail badly here. It will most likely drive the traffic elsewhere where free ads could be placed. But it could have worked provided the web site started out as a paying site in the beginning.
Not too sure if you guys have heard of pacific internet classified ads web site that was very popular many years back. Then one day, for some reason pacific internet decided to turn it into a paying site. Immediately, the visitor traffic dropped to the bottom. After 1 or 2 years later they decided to turn it back to a free site. But it was too late, the traffic was gone for good. This is a real example that turning a free site into a paying site is not a good idea.

how is it an issue w you?
1) how does the number of posts affect you?
2) in what way does the quality of posts affect you? so you think the quality is bad?

bear in mind, there are other photography websites now featuring the same thing as clubsnap.

Jeez man, IQ is definitely dropping here. If BnS is gonna require payment to post, you will see everyone migrating to other forums for their BnS.

Jeez man, IQ is definitely dropping here. If BnS is gonna require payment to post, you will see everyone migrating to other forums for their BnS.

yup. it is not the $2 but the hassle of paying $2. Where got people charge $2 for posting one? Ebay don't have, hardwarezone don't have, bob don't have.

sell $5 thing need to charge $2? siow! :thumbsd:

Your logic is :thumbsd:
Why not $20 then?..... the quality of the posts should be better?....:think:

Thankyou all for participating in this topic. Sincerely apprieciated.

Ebay is by far the most popular internet trading website. It is a paid trading fair. If clubsnap is able to command a wider crowd from the near South East Asia , say from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philipinese etc...

I am talking about various clubsnap in different languages in different countries. Like.... clubsnap.my, clubsnap.th, clubsnap.ph or even clubsnap.cn etc...But, all the classified ads is linked together. The amount of crowd is going to raise tremendously.

Since you have a large crowd at that time, things are going to move! Click rates are crazy high, more people is seeing and chances of an item been sold is higer. Do you think by then, the classified should impose $2/post?

hmm... why dun we imposed $2 for every kopitiam post too? mebbe the quality of discussion will improve too.

Thankyou all for participating in this topic. Sincerely apprieciated.

Ebay is by far the most popular internet trading website. It is a paid trading fair. If clubsnap is able to command a wider crowd from the near South East Asia , say from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philipinese etc...

I am talking about various clubsnap in different languages in different countries. Like.... clubsnap.my, clubsnap.th, clubsnap.ph or even clubsnap.cn etc...But, all the classified ads is linked together. The amount of crowd is going to raise tremendously.

Since you have a large crowd at that time, things are going to move! Click rates are crazy high, more people is seeing and chances of an item been sold is higer. Do you think by then, the classified should impose $2/post?

I really depends if the intent for CS is making $$$ or a more "friendly" place for photogs.

For the other countries, they have their respective photoforums in their native languages already. The unique point about CS B&S is that it caters mostly for Sg photogs where B&S can be made (almost always) in person. If CS were to open to other countries, how would it stand against it's competitor the e-bay which will 1) have a very much wider audience 2) have an established process in international B&S. And dun forget there always ebay.sg, yahoo or even local yello, mocca...etc B&S places for B&S to flow to.

Click rates may be crazy and high now, but no one can say that once charges are imposed, the click rate would grow as expected since there's a change in structure and compeittive strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.