Idiotic Questions for RF owners

brownbagboy

Mar 7, 2012
I'm the idiot here guys :)

Anyway, I got introduced to RF's this year and do not really know much about them. I tried to email Leica directly but their service center never replied. Anyway, I was hoping maybe someone here would be able to help me out with my questions:

1. I currently use an Elinchrom lighting system (pair if RX600s and a RX1200 activated with the skyport) with my Canons for my portraits. I guess my question is can I use my M9 together with my Elinchrom system using the skyport and without risking any damage on my camera using the system?

2. I think I may have lost the lens cap of my 35mm Lux :( Is there a place where I can buy a replacement cap? How much would it be if ever? How do you safeguard your own lens caps so you don't lose em??

Sorry for my idiotic questions ... hopefully someone can help me :)

if your canon is digital, my guess is that the m9 will work.

i use el cheapo wireless trigger for my studio work on my m9p without problems.

your question no.2 is too lame to answer :)

I don't see how the skyport will damage your camera, if it's a flash gun then yes MAYBE the trigger voltage might be too high but I doubt the skyports transmitter will do any harm.

May I ask why you want to use your M9 in a studio environment anyway? Yes it's possible but it's not the best tool to be using.

As for question 2, I leave all my caps at home, never bothered to bring them out (less the rear cap) but then again I can't afford leica lenses, my voigtlanders and zeiss are thrown around a bit without any heartache. Replacement should be able to be bought at leica's store no?

I usually have a filter on most of my lenses, if so then I just leave them uncapped in the camera bag when out shooting. I leave the cap in the bag too, usually at the end of the day I will cap them. Then again I also don't use leica lenses, don't mind throwing mine around a bit :p

Can't help you with first question.. Losing stuff makes us cherish our stuff more, just ask Royale with cheese. I suggest keeping your lens cap in the bag throughout the shoot, need not put on cap after every shot.

d

www.dtohphoto.com

You should be able to easily get a replacement cap from either the Leica Store at Raffles Hotel, or online from eBay. Won't be cheap though.

Alternatively, the used odds and ends like these pop up on eBay from time to time too.

Thanks a lot guys for answering my idiotic questions :D

Some say it affects image quality... any thoughts on this??

i second enivre's suggestion. i stopped using filters but use a hood instead.
in terms of usefulness, i think a hood is an essential item.

i second enivre's suggestion. i stopped using filters but use a hood instead.
in terms of usefulness, i think a hood is an essential item.

Do note that the hood does not make your front element free from potential scratches, I know because I've gotten a scratch on one of my lenses even with the hood on. It also depends a lot on the lens/hood size/type. The tiny in built hoods on some lenses offer little protection (e.g. 12/15mm VCs).

That said I do know for a fact a hood does indeed protect your lens in certain instances, I fell and smashed my whole camera + lens (D3 + 17-35mm) into the asphalt, leg broke in half, camera scratched, lens hood split in two, but lens itself was intact. :)

Some say it affects image quality... any thoughts on this??

Many people say many things, many people also have no idea what they are talking about honestly, that is the internet age.
I dont see how the UV filter can affect your image so much that you would rather not put it & risk scratches on the lens.
100 bucks filter or 1k lens get scratched? weight it up.

Affect image? You do know you can do correction right?

Well yeah I ave thought of that many times that it makes no sense to not get a filter to protect the lens... what are good brands for UV filters to look in to