Identifying the correct colour temperature of a picture in NEF file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid

Jun 10, 2004
I am using Nikon Capture 4 to process NEF file captured by Nikon Coolpix 5400 camera. I am trying to find a way to match the colour temperature of white balance recorded into picture no. 1 and apply it onto picture no. 2. I have no idea how to extract the recorded value of the colour temperature of picture no. 1. Nikon Capture only indicated that it sees a setting of the colour temperature recorded in the NEF file but would not show the actual numerical value of the colour temperature recorded.

Can anyone advise me the method to be used in Nikon Capture to extract the white balance's colour temperature from picture 1 so that the wood flooring on picture no. 2 will have hue and shade similar to wood flooring on picture no. 1?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Picture #1 : As captured by camera without any processing by Nikon Capture
DSC_1505.jpg

Picture #2 : As captured by camera without any processing by Nikon Capture
DSC_1502.jpg

espn said:
You have the RAW file? ;)

Thanks for responding. I have the RAW files with me.

Can I have the one with the tint of orange? :)

It can easily be done in photoshop.
1502.jpg

Picture #1 : As captured by camera without any processing by Nikon Capture
DSC_1505.jpg

First go to the picture #1 NEF and change the white balance setting to "set gray point". You can then copy the white balance setting to the clipboard and then paste it into picture #2 NEF. Although the red and blue gray point values may be different, the colour temperature should be the same.

Thanks everyone for responding.

To : ESPN
Kindly advise the way to dispatch the NEF file to you. File size is 10.7MB. I have upload the file into my email account and ready to send it to you

To : Zerstorer
Would you share your workflow and Photoshop adjustment technique with me?

To : linse
I will give your method a try.

linse said:
First go to the picture #1 NEF and change the white balance setting to "set gray point". You can then copy the white balance setting to the clipboard and then paste it into picture #2 NEF. Although the red and blue gray point values may be different, the colour temperature should be the same.

linse's method gave the following result :

Picture #3 : After copying gray point of picture no. 1 and apply to picture no. 2
DSC-1502.jpg

Thanks to ESPN, Zerstorer and linse for responding to this thread. :)

Looking at their histograms, picture #2/3 is a little underexposed compared to picture #1. If you adjust for exposure under Advance RAW, Curves or LCH editor, the images will look similar to Zerstorer's Photoshoped version.

Took linse's advice and result as shown below.

Picture #4 : After applying +0.25EV, use Digital DEE, set chroma to -4 and unsharpen
DSC1502.jpg

"Digital DEE (Dynamic Exposure Extender) reveals details in shadows and highlights, correcting for underexposure in back-lit subjects or shaded areas of images and for overexposure in brightly lit areas." as mentioned in Nikon Capture manual.

Thanks linse :)

Squid, you just have to open both files in photoshop and use the Match Colour option. Its a very usefull tool that does a lot with just one click.

Zerstorer said:
Squid, you just have to open both files in photoshop and use the Match Colour option. Its a very usefull tool that does a lot with just one click.

I'll also make use of this Match Colour option found in Photoshop. Thanks for highlighting this function.

I suppose it depends on how fussy you are. Nikon Capture processes the raw information in ?16 bit precision using 12 bits of data. That's probably one reason why it is so slow. If you use Photoshop's Match Colour function on JPEG files, the processing is done with 8 bits data. Also, if you are converting the NEF files anyway, exporting to Photoshop will involve an extra step in the workflow.

I believe the Photoshop Raw plug-in actually show the colour temperature of the NEF (I am using PS CS on coopix 5000 NEF, not sure for other versions). You can just read it off the 1st picture and adjust the slider in the second picture.

jjch_sg said:
I believe the Photoshop Raw plug-in actually show the colour temperature of the NEF (I am using PS CS on coopix 5000 NEF, not sure for other versions). You can just read it off the 1st picture and adjust the slider in the second picture.
In my experience, the problem with the Photoshop Raw plug-in is that it misinterprets the colour temperature on NEF files. If you use Photoshop Raw converter, you will have to adjust you colour temperature to match the images produce by Nikon Capture and straight from the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.