Ideal location to shoot fireworks for River HongBao

Status
Not open for further replies.

20dster

Oct 8, 2004
hey! All the pro there, would like to ask a question,
planning to going shoot the fireworks for River hongBao soon,
but don't know where is/are the ideal location to shoot...

You can try at the waterfront area near the stage outside esplanade, just walk further up towards the end.

wat is the time??? tks and hcny

The fireworks will start around 930pm daily, and the merlion area is great to catch them right up at your face. The bridge and esplanade area make good place to view them too...

hi guys do u all think shooting from marina bay city park is good? can have a nice background of the CBD but i'm afraid that the location is too close to the fireworks firing point and that the fireworks trails would be cut off. below are some pictures for your reference

images by Rafflescity of skyscrapercity

103marinapano2.jpg

103skyline4.jpg

par-loc-mar_cit-zoom.gif

Snoweagle said:
Nope, not a gd place...the best place are around the esplanade area.
I reckon at the end of esplanade is a good spot

Caught a glimpse of the fireworks yesterday (30 Jan), fired just a little after 9.30pm, and lasted about 3 mins. Roughly 40-60 shells fired, including quite a no. of high level ones. The firing pt. is same as the one fired on CNY Eve (bare patch of land just next to Ben Sheares Bridge), the pattern of firing is arrayed somewhat in a line parallel to the Esplanade bridge, so best place to shoot it would be Esplanade bridge/Merlion area. Not bad lar, lasted longer than I expected, and the great part is there's not much smoke as the bursts are less intense than the longer one on CNY Eve.

Was there last night. It was hell of a crowded. Traffic jam and all - arrived at about 9pm and was only able to set up my tripod at the Esplanade end of the bridge and was a wee bit blocked by some trees. Managed to take a few shots.

Here is what I have learnt -
1 NR - manual said anything more than 1 sec, recommend NR on. My setting was 3sec F13, so NR on. After every shot, got to wait an eternity which is actually like 3 sec but staring at the missed burst of fireworks. So, I told myself, what the hell with NR, better to capture the shot with some noise than to miss half the time. Result - noise hardly visible in this situation - Nikon D70 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 WB - my standard setting is AWB unless I know for sure the setting is sunlight, flash, cloudy etc. So, fireworks, on AWB - big mistake! Bright orange or yellow burst became white! Fumbled quite a bit to switch to sunlight, but loss quite a few precious seconds. So, the sunlight setting seems OK.

For these setting adjustments, I guess I have already lost a whopping 1 minute out of the 3 minutes or so.

So, for that, must go for reshoot - fortunately, still for the chance for the next few days to satisfy myself - and hope that the place is much less crowded in say a week from now.

smallaperture said:
Was there last night. It was hell of a crowded. Traffic jam and all - arrived at about 9pm and was only able to set up my tripod at the Esplanade end of the bridge and was a wee bit blocked by some trees. Managed to take a few shots.

1 NR - manual said anything more than 1 sec, recommend NR on. My setting was 3sec F13, so NR on. After every shot, got to wait an eternity which is actually like 3 sec but staring at the missed burst of fireworks. So, I told myself, what the hell with NR, better to capture the shot with some noise than to miss half the time. Result - noise hardly visible in this situation - Nikon D70 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 WB - my standard setting is AWB unless I know for sure the setting is sunlight, flash, cloudy etc. So, fireworks, on AWB - big mistake! Bright orange or yellow burst became white! Fumbled quite a bit to switch to sunlight, but loss quite a few precious seconds. So, the sunlight setting seems OK.

For these setting adjustments, I guess I have already lost a whopping 1 minute out of the 3 minutes or so.

So, for that, must go for reshoot - fortunately, still for the chance for the next few days to satisfy myself - and hope that the place is much less crowded in say a week from now.

Actually, if you have browsed through these forums, you would have been better prepared.

(1) Yes, NR should be turned off... with only 3 minutes of fireworks, you are left with little time for manipulation.

(2) WB??? Morale of the story... shoot in RAW. (If you must insists, I have found AUTO -1 to be quite consistent as long as not indoors and w/out flash).

You have almost two more weeks to fine tune. Enjoy!

Regards

yyD70S said:
Actually, if you have browsed through these forums, you would have been better prepared.

Regards
Yep, yep. Learn as we go along. Learn also from fellow CSers. Only don't get infected by the BBB virus. Also, in this forum, lots of people talk-coq la. :( :bsmilie:

Garion said:
Caught a glimpse of the fireworks yesterday (30 Jan), fired just a little after 9.30pm, and lasted about 3 mins. Roughly 40-60 shells fired, including quite a no. of high level ones. The firing pt. is same as the one fired on CNY Eve (bare patch of land just next to Ben Sheares Bridge), the pattern of firing is arrayed somewhat in a line parallel to the Esplanade bridge, so best place to shoot it would be Esplanade bridge/Merlion area. Not bad lar, lasted longer than I expected, and the great part is there's not much smoke as the bursts are less intense than the longer one on CNY Eve.

The very first day of the fireworks also lasted 3mins but the one at 12mn was the longest so far (around 7-8mins.) I suppose on the last day on 12 feb will be just as long.

smallaperture said:

You may want to go eariler to reserve a gd place in future. I always reach there at least 2hrs in advanced.

Snoweagle said:
The very first day of the fireworks also lasted 3mins but the one at 12mn was the longest so far (around 7-8mins.) I suppose on the last day on 12 feb will be just as long.
Yes, the last one should last longer also, same duration as the one on CNY Eve. The first day one was very short! I look at my watch, only abt 2 mins long!

I wonder if got any variation in the pattern or not for each nite. Else will be a bit boring leh hor?

Garion said:
Yes, the last one should last longer also, same duration as the one on CNY Eve. The first day one was very short! I look at my watch, only abt 2 mins long!

I wonder if got any variation in the pattern or not for each nite. Else will be a bit boring leh hor?

Yupz, that's why after the 12mn one i don't think i'll take anymore until the very last day. The 12mn one's variations are very gd! :thumbsup:

ahh was there yesterday buy never bring camera
any more days for fireworks or yesterday was the last one?

Ends on the 12th February. Not too sure if it's gonna be a 'biggy' on the last day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.