idea: RF.SG name card

artspraken

Aug 7, 2009
Suggestion: indent a stack of RF.SG cards for RF.SG members to give to subjects after taking their photos.

Purpose:
  1. exit plan – assures subjects that photographer is an RF.SG hobbyist and not some kind of street pervert.
  2. helps spread RF.SG awareness.

just an idea.

hmmm...

I think using it to spread awareness would be fine but not for giving it away to people that we take shots of on the street.

I dont want us to end up on STOMP or one of those online national debates on the ethics of street photography.......
Considering how some erm, kapo or anal some people can be.

Last edited:
actually, its true, it won't be easy to police how the name card is used. if the card is abused or incorrectly used by members. might get RF.SG into trouble.

Moo cards

actually, its true, it won't be easy to police how the name card is used. if the card is abused or incorrectly used by members. might get RF.SG into trouble.

Yep true.

You can spread it via FB or twitter to your friends, dont think the members themselves would need a business card.

Will be hard to control & some er, not too happy guy who got shot on the street will be taking us onto online media & it is going to spark of a national debate on the ethics of street photography which has many people against it till this date. Even some photographers who shoot other genres are against street because of ethics issues which are really a grey area.

I would say, just be responsible for yourself when you shoot street. Your own work on the street no matter how good, doesnt really represent RF.SG as a whole community.

People love looking at street pictures but not many agree to be in it really.

One individual member does not share the vision of RF.SG.
We are a RF sharing & support community on a whole, not a street photography platform anyway, so I would have to say no to business cards for members but yes, please do spread us via online social media!

Last edited:
i seen many who print namecards, maybe hoping for freelance job or what, but they normally give it out to girls whose pix been taken in clubs
then ask em to add his facebook

titled photographer
wow

i seen many who print namecards, maybe hoping for freelance job or what, but they normally give it out to girls whose pix been taken in clubs
then ask em to add his facebook

titled photographer
wow

Ahahahahahahahaha!

ok, I didnt think about that one but that is another fine example of a business card being abused! :bsmilie:

Anyway, I wouldnt issue any cards to anyone because if there is any trouble caused by abuse etc. it is all going to fall back onto my lap!

I would luuuuuve the RF.SG round dog tag!!!

i do support all members' suggestion, but this idea just killed my joy with rfsg.

Shoot more n participate more in RF.SG outing or event would be more meaningful i think..u get to blend into the community faster n learn more.

N i guess de RF tat u r holding is equivalent or even better a representation of being part of de RF community..n ur pictures shared as a form of awareness to everyone:)

I do support all members' suggestion....

All RF.SG needed is more good pictures.
The website need more Articles, photo essays if you have any please free to PM/Email Chairman Royale With Cheese. :thumbsup:
We welcome all Gear reviews even cheap fix lens rangefinder camera are all welcome.

Next will be our RF.SG event/exhibition that were put on hold.
Other than it we need more young RF user to help to maintain the website too?
But, all up to Chairman Royale With Cheese if he need help. :bsmilie:

On the subject of lack of photo essays / themes, a suggestion from me; Is it possible to be an RFSG group effort whereby members can submit their pics with a short narrative based on the topic of the month. And the committee can compile them into a photo essay / theme. I think it can promote participation and sense of belonging to the group beside the usual meet-ups / competition. An example would be our coming National Day, pics not about the parade
but more of the happenings around you / your area / daily commute that are relevant to the theme. Food for thought:)

On the subject of lack of photo essays / themes, a suggestion from me; Is it possible to be an RFSG group effort whereby members can submit their pics with a short narrative based on the topic of the month. And the committee can compile them into a photo essay / theme. I think it can promote participation and sense of belonging to the group beside the usual meet-ups / competition. An example would be our coming National Day, pics not about the parade
but more of the happenings around you / your area / daily commute that are relevant to the theme. Food for thought:)

very well say....
now you got me looking around my area ... :)

It doesnt have to be a name card does it? A card with a a photo of the month or something on the front (in black and white ofcourse!) a back that has a calender (at least there is a higher possibility that they will keep the card and not use it to scrape out cat or dog poo from their soles of their shoes?) I like eamesboy and blacvios' suggestion, what the website need is more articles! something like what they have on stevehuff's daily inspiration section maybe!

+1, totally love this idea.

+1, totally love this idea.

Sorry took so long to reply, just got out of ICT, had to run around do all sorts of stuff plus back in the office etc.

Excellent idea lads.

I'll post up a new thread in CS for you guys to submit your National Day pictures & I'll compile them at the end of the month, the best pictures based on my selection into one single photo essay submitted by all from RF.SG

I'll bear this idea in mind down the line as well. Such as labour day, deepavali etc. Can actually get everyone to submit & compile them at the end of the month to be a group photo essay.

I'll still working with derrick aka redshutter on some parts of the webpage to further enhance it.
Will so call "sub-contract" some sections of the webpage to a couple of members to assist in running it & up keeping.

So far I've got Martin who has volunteered to do interviews of the guys, I believe you have seen our very own RF.SG's GQ man of the year, wongsan's interview here.

Thanks guys for your ideas & suggestions, its really been great to keep the webpage going but I'm kinda short handed, if you really can actively volunteer on some sections like "gear reviews", "news" etc. will be really great!
Photo essays will remain under my scope.

I'm working with the web developer on getting a RF.SG email address set up with our domain name. At the moment, should you need to approach, just PM me here or email me here.

It doesnt have to be a name card does it? A card with a a photo of the month or something on the front (in black and white ofcourse!) a back that has a calender (at least there is a higher possibility that they will keep the card and not use it to scrape out cat or dog poo from their soles of their shoes?) I like eamesboy and blacvios' suggestion, what the website need is more articles! something like what they have on stevehuff's daily inspiration section maybe!

Hi zapatista

Thanks for your alternate suggestion but I don't think I will be doing that.
As earlier brought out, it is going to be hard to control what members shoot on the street.
Giving away cards be it a business card or like in your e.g a calender with photo of the month is not going to calm a agitated "victim" on the street.

I would say, each individual has to be responsible for what they shoot & not flash a RF.SG card & claim refuge behind it.
Consequences, which I can already see would be a huge online netizens debate on STOMP, HWZ should this "victim" decide to take it a step further.

As pointed out earlier, we are going to be the center of debate on the ethics of street photography which is already a grey area. All form of trouble will fall back to RF.SG which will not look good publicly on our image.

We are a RF sharing & support community, not a street photography platform. My final decision is that I will not issue any form of cards to any member.
Even if I do, only my selected panel of guys will receive them & they will only be used for discussions with the likes of shiroro, leica, chiif cameras, for introduction on the basis of working on support for sponsorship on RF.SG events.