IDE help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

eug

Oct 23, 2002
Buangkok
Visit site
Hi All,

Need some advise ... I installed a new ide primary slave harddisk ... XP only allows me to create a simple volume (dynamic drive) instead of logical drive ... my question is if I format and remove all contents from Disk 0 and re-install the XP OS, will Disk 1 (simple volume, dynamic drive) still be recognise by the O.S. or will it be gone ...

Next the IDE cable has got 2 connectors is there a difference between plugging the master at the end and slave in the middle connector and vice-versa ... there shouldn't be any effects right ... when the harddisk jumper is set correcly.

Thanx.

Originally posted by eug
Hi All,

Need some advise ... I installed a new ide primary slave harddisk ... XP only allows me to create a simple volume (dynamic drive) instead of logical drive ... my question is if I format and remove all contents from Disk 0 and re-install the XP OS, will Disk 1 (simple volume, dynamic drive) still be recognise by the O.S. or will it be gone ...

two seperate hard disk right ? disk 1 will still be there, OS should be able to recognise it without any problems.

Next the IDE cable has got 2 connectors is there a difference between plugging the master at the end and slave in the middle connector and vice-versa ... there shouldn't be any effects right ... when the harddisk jumper is set correcly.

correct.

Not sure about Windows XP, but I format all my harddisks either using Win98 (FAT32) or Win2K (NTFS), it works more reliable this way i feel.

If i'm not wrong, use dos to format will be better.

For the IDE cable, it should work either way. However, for Pentium 2 and below systems, there might be a difference from my experience.

Hope these can help you.
Originally posted by eug
Hi All,

Thanx.

Thanks for your replies.

disk 1 will still be there, OS should be able to recognise it without any problems.

Uhmm ... recognising the disk is not the issue ... but will the simple volume be recognised???

Any other way to create logical drive other then fdisk ... cause XP only allow simple volume on the second drive ...

Status
Not open for further replies.