ID of this bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzz

Jun 20, 2004
West area
bird.jpg

Image is small, hehe... Anyone knows the ID of this bird?
Thanks. :)

In Singapore they are regarded as escaped cage birds if you found in the wild. There are many families of White eye, almost country specific. We have one here in New Zealand. Thay will eat food left out for them during the winter.

hmm.. sorry, i'm pretty new to such terms, may I ask what do u mean by "escaped caged birds"?

I got this shot at bukit batok nature park, near the war memorial area. they are quite high up, 20m away? seems that there are plenty of them too around that area.

Adzz said:
hmm.. sorry, i'm pretty new to such terms, may I ask what do u mean by "escaped caged birds"?

I got this shot at bukit batok nature park, near the war memorial area. they are quite high up, 20m away? seems that there are plenty of them too around that area.

this means that they are escapees.... which also means that they escaped from their human owners.... understand???

flaemer said:
this means that they are escapees.... which also means that they escaped from their human owners.... understand???

haha, why you so fierce?

This is one of the most popular song bird in Singapore, local people call it Mata Puteh. It is very difficult to find a male Mata Puteh in the wild in Singapore, even if you found it, it's a escaped caged bird. But you can easily find a female Mata Puteh on top a tree in our HDB estate. Male Mata Puteh are keep by locals for their song whereas female are release back in to the wild.

flaemer said:

relax dude, it would be nice of you to explain the meaning, without showing signs of hostility (if u intend to with ???). i would certainly appreciate it much better. thanks.

i'm just wondering why they must be termed escaped caged bird, can't they exist in the wild, must they escape from their owners?

tanhb said:
This is one of the most popular song bird in Singapore, local people call it Mata Puteh. It is very difficult to find a male Mata Puteh in the wild in Singapore, even if you found it, it's a escaped caged bird. But you can easily find a female Mata Puteh on top a tree in our HDB estate. Male Mata Puteh are keep by locals for their song whereas female are release back in to the wild.

Thanks, tanhb. :) ur explanation is certainly helpful.

Ok, pls allow me to state the various status of birds you capture in the wild...(with my limited knowledge :embrass: , pls don't flame me if I get any of these wrong)

Some terns to help you understand.
Breeding vs Non-Breeding/ Resident vs Migratory/ indigenous(native) vs introduced

Breeding birds are usually residents, but some Migratory birds do come here to raise their young before flying home. eg. Myna or Crimson Sunbird is breeding indigenous (Singapore citizen) vs Blue throated Bee-eater (visitor but breeds their young here).

Non-breeding usually = migratory, eg. Commom Kingfisher (confirm a visitor).

Residents does not always = indigenous or native as they may be introduced. eg. Lineated Barbet (PR already), they are breeding here.

As for your bird, Oriental White-eye are not indigenous to Singapore, thus they are considered escapees (escape from cage)... but I think they are breeding here, so may become PR soon.

Hope this help you guys out there who are interested in birds.

Do go buy a book, it really helps.

Keep shooting ;)

Madcat II said:
Ok, pls allow me to state the various status of birds you capture in the wild...(with my limited knowledge :embrass: , pls don't flame me if I get any of these wrong)

Some terns to help you understand.
Breeding vs Non-Breeding/ Resident vs Migratory/ indigenous(native) vs introduced

Breeding birds are usually residents, but some Migratory birds do come here to raise their young before flying home. eg. Myna or Crimson Sunbird is breeding indigenous (Singapore citizen) vs Blue throated Bee-eater (visitor but breeds their young here).

Non-breeding usually = migratory, eg. Commom Kingfisher (confirm a visitor).

Residents does not always = indigenous or native as they may be introduced. eg. Lineated Barbet (PR already), they are breeding here.

As for your bird, Oriental White-eye are not indigenous to Singapore, thus they are considered escapees (escape from cage)... but I think they are breeding here, so may become PR soon.

Hope this help you guys out there who are interested in birds.

Do go buy a book, it really helps.

Keep shooting ;)
Good effort there, Jason! :thumbsup: Thanks for the explanation, helps more people understand the different classifications for the birds here. Quite often there is confusion and misunderstanding between Breeding vs Non-Breeding, Resident vs Migratory etc., and indigenous vs introduced species. There are quite a few books relating to birds of sg and SE-asia (as well as other parts of the world), ranging from pocket book format to more detailed volumes, available at Kino or Borders. Worth a read and great help in understanding and learning more about birds and birding in general. :thumbsup:

Adzz said:
i'm just wondering why they must be termed escaped caged bird, can't they exist in the wild, must they escape from their owners?
Such birds are normally termed escapees or escaped caged birds as they do not fall under the categories which MadCat II had listed above i.e. they are foreign birds which have been caught elsewhere and brought in to Singapore under captivity (i.e., caged). They escape due to circumstances either beyond the owner's control, or thru owner's carelessness (e.g leaving the cage door open whilst feeding etc.). Occasionally the escapees may come from aviaries such as Jurong Bird Park too, either escape thru a hole in the net or inadvertently fly out when visitors go out thru the exit/entrance.

Then there are the occasional rare species which sometimes are not listed under the local birds watchlist, as they are not normally found here, e.g some time back some one did spot the Rhinoceres Hornbill (normally a resident species in Indonesia) in local habitat, and a species of vulture/griffon was also spotted in the east locality too. These are rare visitors and not normally seen. Maybe they happened to chance on local shores due to freak/adverse weather in their native land which blew them here, or sometimes due to mis-navigation on their part. :p Birding journals have recorded rare species ending up halfway round the world in most unlikely places, usually due to freak storms or weather conditions.

Pls don't flame me too if I am wrong, I am still learning as well, most of these info were picked up from books and articles about birds/birding.

Garion and Madcat II: Thanks a lot of ur guidance. :) Guess I will be readin more of such books to gain some understanding into this amazing species that roam the skies.

Adzz said:
Garion and Madcat II: Thanks a lot of ur guidance. :) Guess I will be readin more of such books to gain some understanding into this amazing species that roam the skies.

haha... sorry bro... did'nt mean to be fierce.... did not realised tt it sounds so fierce to u guys.... :D apologies....

no problem. hehe. cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.