ID for a Fly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Anybody knows what is the name of this fly??
DSC_3160.jpg

Anybody else with more hints??? Would love to give it a specific name...

Wah... PRO shot sia!!! :thumbsup:

Well... Robber flies (aka Assassin flies) are all extremely similar and unless you're a trained expert, it's difficult to identify exactly which species it is.

This one is most likely a Neoitamus sp. - red eyes, whitish body, orange and black legs, and tortoiseshell-like back. But it could also be of a Ommatius sp. (most of which have only black at the knuckles, and not lengths of legs). I'm sorry I can't find their common names!

Could you give an estimate of its size? It might help, since Neoitamus at ~2cm is at least half a cm longer than Ommatius.

husky said:
Well... Robber flies (aka Assassin flies) are all extremely similar and unless you're a trained expert, it's difficult to identify exactly which species it is.

This one is most likely a Neoitamus sp. - red eyes, whitish body, orange and black legs, and tortoiseshell-like back. But it could also be of a Ommatius sp. (most of which have only black at the knuckles, and not lengths of legs). I'm sorry I can't find their common names!

Could you give an estimate of its size? It might help, since Neoitamus at ~2cm is at least half a cm longer than Ommatius.
Arrgh.. I wish I could.. but it landed and flew away very quickly..
I only had a chance to fire off one shot and it left...

Couldn't really tell the size... could be anywhere from 1cm to 2.5cm..

Status
Not open for further replies.