ICT Wallaby (Aus) this Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmouse

Jul 10, 2003
spore
img9.photobucket.com
As above for about 2 wks, any bro been there before?
Is it recommended to bring along DSLR over?
Bro here, kindly share your past experience here.

Thanks

i think it depends on ur vocation? and wat u will be doing there. if u r getting a pretty relak job there then shd be okie lor

wainism said:
i think it depends on ur vocation? and wat u will be doing there. if u r getting a pretty relak job there then shd be okie lor

Reccee. Should be quite relax job there as only <5 day ex. rest are preparation.

i suggest you to bring only a small compact/digicam. the place they go are very dusty, if you bring your dslr, you'll cry after you come back. unless yuo intend to shoot only during r&r.

wah lau, u recce and u wanna bring a DSLR?!

not siong ah? carry extra load?! heh heh

better bring a P&S lah :)

bigmouse said:
Reccee. Should be quite relax job there as only <5 day ex. rest are preparation.

i think the rest qn u sould consider is, is it safe to leave ur cam in the bunk..?
not trying to suggest your bunk mates are "itchy" hands, but once must be careful... =)

wallaby is quite a huge exercise, so a lot of tom dick and harry will walk everywhere too... and i not sure whether aust military allows camera or not in the 1st place... hehe

i guess if you have no issue to bring DSLR there, go ahead ...

better dun bring DSLR.

1) you don't really have a locker like you do in army. only your alibaba bag.
so it's not really safe.
the "bunks" are actually huge tents so it's not secure. if you lose your DSLR..i think that's it..unless u want to alert to CO level and beyond and do a DIVISION search?

2) dusty.

3) there's nothing spectacular to shoot in rockhampton anyway. it's a dead town. and probably half the time in the town u will be spending time in the bar watching the girls "perform" ;p

akane said:
better dun bring DSLR.

1) you don't really have a locker like you do in army. only your alibaba bag.
so it's not really safe.
the "bunks" are actually huge tents so it's not secure. if you lose your DSLR..i think that's it..unless u want to alert to CO level and beyond and do a DIVISION search?

2) dusty.

3) there's nothing spectacular to shoot in rockhampton anyway. it's a dead town. and probably half the time in the town u will be spending time in the bar watching the girls "perform" ;p

Sound like I will not miss out much on pics but has a lot to loose if not careful with my cam.

Been there 6 weeks in 2001. I am Signaler, lay cables before xcise begins and pack up cables after xcise. Usually 3 phases, 2 weeks each. Which unit u from? Guards?

Dun reco you to dring DSLR, really. Its really very dusty and in the huge tents you are sleeping in, everyone just walk here and there. Security zero. bring a P&S. You will capture beautiful pics. The Sunset there is marvellous.

Last time i had a Minolta 303i film SLR with me cos my job there super relek, i stayed in the bushes 3 days and off 1 day. I planned my holiday during the off day and i have an apartment in town. Its a real cool experience and the SAF paid me good money for a NSF like me.

Furthermore, i traveled in White Toyolta Land Cruisers, not army rovers. My job basically monitor signals in the mountain top and act as a rebro between Air Force and Army. The wilderness smells great.

Do enjoy this trip. Its a wonderful experience. I enjoyed drinking Foster beers at $1 per can and eating big-sized Hot Dogs at the Shoal Water Bay camps.

I guess it is not advisable to bring such a pro camera since very fine sands can be "floating" around around the camps. Everywhere you go, you will be exposed to fine sands. Back then whenever we move from Point A to Point B, the whole tonner would be filled with dusts and sands... imagine a whole platoon of soldiers's uniform turning from green uniform to brown uniform

Bernard Ong said:
Furthermore, i traveled in White Toyolta Land Cruisers, not army rovers. My job basically monitor signals in the mountain top and act as a rebro between Air Force and Army. The wilderness smells great.

sigh..this kind of army damn shiok...not like me..dusty and cold in the night outfield. :(

bigmouse said:

Thanks

I dun think it is possible to bring DSLR to oversea military exercise.
Not to forget the tight security checking by SIB in Singapore and Australia customs.

Even if you can bring it, if you are under combat vocation, there are chances that you might sratch your DSLR against your rifle and other equipments around.

bigmouse said:

Thanks

I Think it is not very advisable to bring a DSLR on a army trip. You got many of your own other things to take care off and the last thing you want is to damage/lost your cam.

I am leaving for ROC this Sun for ICT. I am bringing a P&S cam. :) Oh i am a signaller too. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.